If you live alone, do you have pets?

There is a good-sized but not large black and white cat in the neighborhood. If I'm outside it will sometimes approach. One day it rolled over onto its back and even tried to follow me indoors.

I speak to it sometimes but I don't know where it lives. I don't presume to touch it. I guess that mirrors my interaction with women these days. :ROFLMAO:

Hmmm...maybe I shouldn't have replied to this thread since I really don't live alone anymore. But my son is so busy that I wind up spending a lot of alone time, so it sometimes feels like I live alone. Anyway, it was a chance to post more pics of our cute little fur baby. 😍😺

I haven't had a pet for decades and now that I live by myself I have thought of getting one. I hesitated because the back yard is something of a sanctuary for the local birds. A dog or cat would be a threat to them. Recently I became aware that a brush tail possum was visiting the garden at night and I have been feeding her with some fruit. She is very shy and won't show herself until after I retreat back inside the house.

Very soon I will be hosting my daughter's five pet silky hens and the elderly rescue cat that adopted her, not the other way around.

I'm looking forward to the extra company and hoping that the birds and the possum will still come visiting.

My dog!!!!!

His name is Moto. He's not very smart, and he hates to cuddle or even sit next to me. But I love him anyway.

I've always had dogs. I had three, but sadly time caught up on two of them. Moto is 11 years old. I've told him he can't leave me.

I want to get another dog.

Not right now and seriously doubt I'll ever have another. My last pet - a gray tabby, Gus, lived to be 19 years old. After that I vowed "No more pets!" They're a lot of care, expense and responsibility (if you're a good pet parent) for an older person that just manages self care. People have offerd me kittens, but it's, "Thanks, but no thanks."

I have two cats living with me. My little girl is getting ready to check out, she'll probably go before spring. The other one was my wife's cat I never wanted him, she's gone but he's still here, he bullies my little girl and has torn some of the walls to shreds plus my box springs.

But, they're both here as long as I'm here, they're the last I'll ever have.

I had a visiting pet last eve. an orange tabby came by, invited it
in, it roams the neighborhood a lot, it stayed 15 mins then I let
it back out into the rain unfortunately, it will prob come by again, he's been here several times...

I have two cats living with me. My little girl is getting ready to check out, she'll probably go before spring. The other one was my wife's cat I never wanted him, she's gone but he's still here, he bullies my little girl and has torn some of the walls to shreds plus my box springs.

But, they're both here as long as I'm here, they're the last I'll ever have.
That’s really kind of you to keep a difficult animal that you probably don’t even like:)). I’m the same way and love animals and am committed once I take one.

I have no pets. My loves were my Daughters' dogs.. all of them now gone over Rainbow Bridge except one tiny chihuahua..age 13..

When my daughter was young we had lots of pets.. no cats... but we had dogs, birds, fish...

Like Warrigal, I have a garden that attracts lots of birds...

I constantly think about getting a dog now I'm on my own..but tbf, I'm a night bird, and not an early riser, and dogs need to go out early... plus I'm so used to not being tied to getting home after a certain time when I go out, I feel it would be too hard for me...

I have a very good dog, Lucy. She is a rescue and is eight years old. I hope what I am about to write doesn't destroy my credibility, but she is half Jack Russel terrier and half Labrador retriever. I know that sounds unlikely but such things can happen. We are good friends and since my wife of fifty-one years passed away two and one-half years ago she has been my constant companion. I also have a tuxedo cat, Sparky, which my wife adopted shortly before she passed away. Lucy always accompanies me on my two or three mile walks in the woods and sometimes Sparky does too.
Last March I had to be hospitalized unexpectedly. I locked Lucy in the house, called my son in Atlanta and the next morning he came up and took Lucy to his house for the week I was in the hospital.

I always have small dogs and then pad train them so I don’t have to worry about taking them outside. When I lived in a house it wasn’t safe to have a doggie door because of their size but I would take them outside when I was home.

Now in a condo it would be very inconvenient since I live on the 3rd floor. They are only 5lbs.

No dogs. But had them around as a kid. Now it isn't a thing here, when I was working I traveled too much. Since then I don't want to deal with losing them. I've had cats in the place but allergies, and yes there are some breeds less problematic that way.

One of my sons has had to lose a dog and has another one now that is getting old himself with some problems.

As others have said here you are not alone if you have a pet, in my case I have had a dog for over 40 years all of them adopted at an older age except for the current companion as pictured in my icon who is a very active 10 month old at this point. After I lost my previous friend my daughter brought me this cute little ball of fluff who has now grown into a good sized Collie who still thinks he wants to curl up on daddy's lap. well his head and front paws still fit!
All my previous dogs were trained to stay on my property but Shadow being the first I have had this young and the first male its going to take a while before we get to that point so if I let him out for a run rather than just on the (long) chain I must also go out to keep an eye on him ....and that is probably a good thing for both of us!

This morning I let my 'pup' in from the back porch and he was so eager to see me that he jumped up and pulled my pants down (belt not yet fully tightened), told my daughter and buddy about it via email and they replied as follows.....

Wally.......

Be nice not to drip on pants
some daze BUT is is eh!!

Mary......
sounds like a lot of interest. Try and keep your pants on for the rest of the day eh

Mary is raising 6 very cute purebred Basset Hound, they are a LOT less troublesome that Shadow right now!

I had to walk my male collie on a leash. He liked to sneak away from the property when he thought we weren't looking. Even as an old man who could barely walk, he still tried to wander off. That dog was a ton of fun though.

When mine was just 2 or 3 months I could let him out to run and he would stick around but then one day he snuck across to the neighbors ACROSS THE ROAD (who also have a dog) so I now have to leash him if left out on his own. When let run when I am out to keep an eye the speed of that lad is astounding, if hed did not want to come you would never catch him, I have enough trouble just keeping my pants up eh LOL

Back