20 Year Old Honoring WWII Vets By Videoing Their Stories & Spending Time

OneEyedDiva

SF VIP
Yes, there are some nice, considerate young people in the world and this young man is a perfect example. Not only is Tyler Boland video documenting their stories, he has celebrated special occasions and done some pretty cool things with these veterans. May he be forever blessed for his kind, thoughtful deeds and for keeping their history making stories alive for his generation and every generation to see.
https://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/mans-mission-interview-living-wwii-veterans-109466728

Last edited:
Good for Tyler !

I wished I/we would have understood and not been so intimidated by cell phones and recording folks.
ms gamboolgals father, Mr. Beam was in the 101st all the way thru the war from Toccoa and was never wounded.
Over the 29 year I knew him before he passed, I would sit and talk to him for hours about the war and his experiences growing up as one of 7 kids of a Widow in East Texas - sharecropping and being Grapes of Wrath dirt poor people.
I am putting my memories of Mr. Beam to video for our Grand Daughter and also all the other relatives so she can have an oral history of her family - at least a little bit.

My Father was a tank commander (Sgt) and was in New Guinea, the Philippines, and ended up occupying Japan. He was at war when I was born (May, '44). I have chronicled his journey and those experiences he talked about - with the most horrendous ones being shared with other Vets while I eavesdropped.

My Uncle (Mom's brother) was shot a week after landing at Normandy. He survived, was a wonderful man, but NEVER talked of his experiences.

My Father in Law was on the USS Argonne in Pearl Harbor when it was attacked. He talked consistently about his experiences although several were (IMO) definitely embellished.

It's hard for some today to fathom what WWII was like. They managed to get through the depression, and then had to go off to war, or send their loved ones off to war, not knowing if or when they would return.

And here I'm speaking for America, but the folks in Europe and Asia went through so much worse. My heart goes out to all that were affected, for it was definitely "the worst of times".

I am all in on this project. I used to say when I saw a WWII veteran die that a lot of history goes with that person. The oldest living person that was at Pearl Harbor on 12/7/1941, died recently. At that time, I made the comment that I had hoped someone interviewed him and put his story on paper for all to read.

Back