A humorous look at garage sales

A piece I wrote a while back and probably posted it, but here it is again for those that forgot or hadn't seen it.

I’ve been attempting to liquidate my mother’s estate on my own by having garage sales. I’ve encountered many “interesting” folks. They are the ones that usually fall into one of these categories:

“The Whirlwinds”– they don’t spend more than a minute at the sale. They walk so quickly around the tables it makes my head spin. It’s like they are just looking for that one extremely valuable item that is way under-priced.

“The Creepers” – these are the opposite of the “whirlwinds”. It’s like watching a video in slow motion.They pick each item up, look at it from every angle, put it back on the table and stare at it for 5 minutes, them move on to the next item. They spend so much time looking, that I start checking my watch. I feel like charging these slow pokes rent for taking so long.

“The Cheapos” – no matter what price I decide on an item, they expect I’ll give them at least a 90% discount. Will never pay the asking price, even if it's Ming vase for 25¢.

“The Talker” – Is usually an older person. He/she starts a conversation; tells their life story, family and personal problems,about other sales they’ve been to, etc. This is interesting for about the first 3 minutes, then it appears he/she isn’t going to stop anytime soon. I start thinking to myself, “How can I tactfully get them to leave.” The “talkers” usually don’t buy anything; they just want an audience.

“The Silent Type” - opposite of “The Talkers”. I try to make small talk or ask if they are looking for anything particular. Does not respond to any of my conversation. With them it's all business – doesn't say a word until they made a thorough examination of the sale, then it's just, “How much?” or leave without comment. I probably seem like “The Talker” to them.

The “Flustered Mom” - They have a minimum of 2 elementary school age kids or younger who, if there are toys and games for sale, proceed to open the box of every board game or puzzle and dump the contents all over the place, throw the toys around, or just stand and screech as their mother looks around. Constant admonitions from mom to behave themselves go unheeded and they continue to make a shambles of the sale. And heaven forfend if you say anything negative about their kid's behavior.
These women usually say they are single moms with a hard-luck story and expect I'll give them things because of that. They finally leave without buying anything, then I have to go around and pick up that 500 piece jigsaw puzzle scattered on the lawn and under the hedge, hoping I've retrieved all the pieces.

“The Complainer” – Looks at everything and has nothing good to say. Either the prices are too high, the quality of the items isn’t good enough for them, or the sale is not arranged the way they like. People like this could find fault with Jesus! If my stuff isn’t good enough or cheap enough for you – just leave. You don’t have to deliver a 5 minute monologue of criticism.

“The Reservists” – They pick out something, then announce they have no money. They want me to “hold” it for them until they can get the cash and return. Two weeks later I'm still waiting for them. Now I set a time limit and (usually 2hours) and ask for a non-refundable deposit. They usually refuse to agree to that, but if they aren’t a serious buyer – who cares? They probably had no intention of buying it in the first place, or were just playing one of their garage sale games. Are people that strapped that they don’t even have a few bucks on them? If they are, why did they stop?

“The Tycoon” – Usually a 40 to50-something male. Flashes a big fist of money and announces, “I’m a CASH buyer!” I think, “As opposed to what other means of tender?” They almost never buy and if they do, it some small, inexpensive item so they have an excuse to pull out their wad again to make an impression. I think the only person it impresses is them!

The “Director/ Critic” - tells me everything I've done wrong about the sale and/or tells me what to do to make it better. Everyone has a suggestion, e.g.

You have too many things out- that confuses and overwhelms people.”
You don't have enough things out to attract customers.”
You should put all items that have the same price on one table.”
Your sale is too mixed up. You should put similar items on one table like china here and glassware here.”
Everything is out displayed on tables. You know, people like to dig through boxes hoping they'll find hidden treasure.”
Why do you have so many things inboxes? I don't like to have to dig through a box. You should have everything out on a table where people can see it.”
Your sign isn't large enough.I almost drove by before I saw it.”
Your sign is too large. It blocks the street view of your sale.”
You should paint your sign in red letters instead of black. That would make it easier to see.”
I see your sign letters are painted red. That makes it harder to see, especially for color-blind people.”
You have your tables too close to the house. You should move the tables closer to the road so people can get an idea of what you have. ”
Your tables are to close to the road. That makes things easy to steal."
Get the idea?

“The Drive-bys” – they slow down and cruise by the sale, go up the block, turn and come back and drive ever so slowly by again, then suddenly zoom off, spraying the tables with road dust and leaving an acrid cloud of vehicle exhaust in their wake.

“The Idlers” – get out to look, but leave their vehicle motor running. These conveyances usually need a valve job and as they sit and idle, fill the air with sulfurous fumes and clattering noises.

“The Incontinents”– they don’t buy anything but ask to use the bathroom. I direct them to the nearest convenience store. They respond emphatically, “I can’t wait!” Makes me wonder why they take laxatives or have a 'big gulp' beverage just before heading out for garage sales.

“The Wanderers” - ask about something and when I look up after giving a detailed provenance,they are 10 feet away looking at something else like they aren't even listening. They they say something to the effect, “Tell me about this.”, and the process is repeated. Are they really interested in hearing about ANYTHING?

“The Lazies” – won’t get out of their vehicle. They want me to bring things over to them to look at. I could see this if they were physically handicapped, but I do not see their vehicle marked as such which is required in our state. Are they getting some kind of amusement having me run back and forth? They usually don’t buy anything anyway.

“The Alternative Buyer” (3subspecies)
1) the ones that do not want what's for sale on the tables, they want the table or tablecloth, or they see something that is not for sale and want it (like the car battery charger in the corner of the garage).
2) the people that choose an inexpensive item, then say, “I'll buy it if you throw this in too.” (picking a much higher priced item).
3) the ones that want a part of a set but not the whole set. e.g.
Them: "You have a pitcher and tumbler set. How much for just the pitcher?"
Me: "They all go together. $5."
Them: "I only want the pitcher. I'll give you 50¢for just that."

“The Invaders” – they look around for a minute, but don’t seem interested in anything. They hang around until I'm distracted with other customers, then go into the house or at least into areas they shouldn’t, and start looking around. When I discover them and point out that only the items outside are for sale, they scream, “Are you having a sale or not?” For some strange reason they assume that even things inside the house are for sale.

“The Schwarzeneggers” - see things they want, but don't have any money. They say they are going home or to an ATM to get some and announce, “I'll be back.” They never come back.

“The C-Noters” – treat me like an ATM machine. Will pick out a really inexpensive item (usually a dollar or less) then hand me a $100 bill. Makes me wonder why they didn’t bring small bills and change if they were going to garage sales. When I mention this, they usually respond “That's what the bank gave me.” Then I say, “You could ask for small bills.” I usually get a stink eye for my trouble.

“The Sticky Fingers” - like to make small items disappear. They even remove lamp socket knobs or one of a set of something.

“The Apologists” - constitute about 30% of customers. Always say something to the effect, “I don't know why I stopped, I really don't need anything.”

“The Hypnotists” - pick up something and hold onto it meanwhile engaging in interesting conversation. By the time they've gone, I realize I've been hypnotized with glib talk and they left without paying. Or if I catch them, they will say something to the effect “I already payed you for that.” What can I do? Another method is to keep repeating a price is lower that is actually marked. e.g. A set of shakers is $2, they say, “This is 50¢. ”I say, “No, they're $2.” A few minutes later they say, “50¢,okay?” I say, “Those are $2.” Several more times and I end up selling them for 50¢ believing what they oft repeated.

“The Traders” - will give anything but money for merchandise. Usually have something to swap which I'd have less use for than the item for sale. One man tried to give me storm windows (that wouldn't have fit my house anyway), and another wanted to swap for a pair of boxing gloves.

“The Imprinters” - the first price tag they see is 50¢, then think EVERYTHING is 50¢. Worse is when those people see the FREE box first.

"The Switcheroos" who come in 2 sub-species:
1) The ones that switch price tags when they think I'm not looking or not aware of my own prices. One time I had a stack of Cameo pattern Depression glass dinner plates for $10 and matching salad plates for $3. One man picked up the salad plates and put them on top of the dinner plates and held out $3. When I pointed out that the dinner plates were separate and another $10, he put everything back.
2)The ones that pick out several items and pay for them. Then seem to change their mind and put something back and pick out something else at a different price. Now how much do they get back or have to pay now. They do this several times until I don't know what they've paid for or what the bottom line is after all the switching.

“The Fake Buyer” - This is perhaps the worst kind. They walk around picking up armloads of stuff, getting my hopes up they are going to purchase a large quantity. After about 5 minutes of this, they suddenly dump everything and walk away. One time I had a lot of framed art prints. On older man came in and looked around. He said he would buy all the pictures if I wrapped them up for him and that he was very particular how they were wrapped. I scrambled to procure large sheets of heavy paper and twine, I then painstakingly wrapped them. He stood right there and watched carefully, not saying a word. Twenty minutes later, when I was all done, he announced, “I changed my mind.” and walked off.

“The Dumpers” - take a box of small items and dump or pull them out of the box and spread them around,but never seem to have the enthusiasm to put the things back I the box. Or some that take items and walk around, then put them back in another place. Sometime if I feel miffed enough, I will confront them about putting things back properly. Some don't say anything and walkaway. Some say “It's your sale, you put it back.”

“The Angels” - the rarest and most appreciated customers. They never argue over the prices, have no long stories to tell or any kids in tow (or have well-behaved kids), they have small bills and change, and buy at least $20 worth.

Miscellaneous: One woman I remember clearly, picked up some EAPG items and started to walk away. I accosted her and said those items totaled $12. She became very huffy and said, “It’s stuff you don’t want anyway or it wouldn’t be out here, so why should I have to pay ANYTHING?” This may be a sub-species of the “The Cheapo”.

Another man selected an antique caned-seat chair. He brought it over to me. I said. “It’s ten dollars.” He held out his empty hand. I repeated the price. He said, “Yeah, so where’s my ten?” He expected me to pay HIM to take it!

Honestly– I could write a book!

And then there are the "Dealers".

They show up an hour early. They insult your stuff..."Well, that MIGHT have been worth something if you hadn't changed the hinges. I could take it for $5, but I'd have to put a lot of work into it." Or insist the item is a "reproduction" and practically worthless when you know it was your great-greatgrandmother's.

They'll offer you peanuts and then sell it for a fortune in their shop.

And then there are the "Dealers".

They show up an hour early. They insult your stuff..."Well, that MIGHT have been worth something if you hadn't changed the hinges. I could take it for $5, but I'd have to put a lot of work into it." Or insist the item is a "reproduction" and practically worthless when you know it was your great-greatgrandmother's.

They'll offer you peanuts and then sell it for a fortune in their shop.
I can smell a dealer right away. What you say is true, among other things. ;)

There is a science to it. I went to about 20 area garage sales yesterday. Bought a Machete for $2 and a couple of pairs of reading glasses for 25 cents each. Rarely see anything I am in great need of, but I find them sometimes entertaining.

At my sister's last garage sale, a friend of hers dropped in and warned us to look out for a certain lady who is well-known through the area for stealing stuff. After a few minutes she left, but popped back in and said, "OMG, she just pulled up! Watch out for her."

She came in and wandered around the rooms and was preparing to leave when the Spousal Equivalent said, "Hey, she didn't come in with a purse but she's leaving with one."

My sister walked over to her and said very politely, "If you're ready to check out, I can help you over at the table."

"I don't want it!," she snapped, tossed the purse on a table, and stomped out. We opened the purse and it was full of little things of very little value, just odds and ends. We watched her pull away in her BMW.

Classic case of kleptomania. She had absolutely no use for the items but the thrill of stealing something apparently satisfied something in her.

I had "The Tycoon" visit today. Flashed a big wad of $100 bills and said he pays "top dollar" for precious metals. I said I didn't have any. He kept insisting I was holding out. He wouldn't leave. Then he said he bought watches. I showed him what I had but he wasn't interested; just kept repeating his spiel. I though he'd never leave. Then he insulted my sale by saying, "If this is the best stuff you have, it's pathetic." During a lull I walked up to a neighbors who was also having a sale. I asked her if he had been to her sale. She said he was and we compared notes. He did the exact same thing to her.

A piece I wrote a while back and probably posted it, but here it is again for those that forgot or hadn't seen it.

I’ve been attempting to liquidate my mother’s estate on my own by having garage sales. I’ve encountered many “interesting” folks. They are the ones that usually fall into one of these categories:

“The Whirlwinds”– they don’t spend more than a minute at the sale. They walk so quickly around the tables it makes my head spin. It’s like they are just looking for that one extremely valuable item that is way under-priced.

“The Creepers” – these are the opposite of the “whirlwinds”. It’s like watching a video in slow motion.They pick each item up, look at it from every angle, put it back on the table and stare at it for 5 minutes, them move on to the next item. They spend so much time looking, that I start checking my watch. I feel like charging these slow pokes rent for taking so long.

“The Cheapos” – no matter what price I decide on an item, they expect I’ll give them at least a 90% discount. Will never pay the asking price, even if it's Ming vase for 25¢.

“The Talker” – Is usually an older person. He/she starts a conversation; tells their life story, family and personal problems,about other sales they’ve been to, etc. This is interesting for about the first 3 minutes, then it appears he/she isn’t going to stop anytime soon. I start thinking to myself, “How can I tactfully get them to leave.” The “talkers” usually don’t buy anything; they just want an audience.

“The Silent Type” - opposite of “The Talkers”. I try to make small talk or ask if they are looking for anything particular. Does not respond to any of my conversation. With them it's all business – doesn't say a word until they made a thorough examination of the sale, then it's just, “How much?” or leave without comment. I probably seem like “The Talker” to them.

The “Flustered Mom” - They have a minimum of 2 elementary school age kids or younger who, if there are toys and games for sale, proceed to open the box of every board game or puzzle and dump the contents all over the place, throw the toys around, or just stand and screech as their mother looks around. Constant admonitions from mom to behave themselves go unheeded and they continue to make a shambles of the sale. And heaven forfend if you say anything negative about their kid's behavior.
These women usually say they are single moms with a hard-luck story and expect I'll give them things because of that. They finally leave without buying anything, then I have to go around and pick up that 500 piece jigsaw puzzle scattered on the lawn and under the hedge, hoping I've retrieved all the pieces.

“The Complainer” – Looks at everything and has nothing good to say. Either the prices are too high, the quality of the items isn’t good enough for them, or the sale is not arranged the way they like. People like this could find fault with Jesus! If my stuff isn’t good enough or cheap enough for you – just leave. You don’t have to deliver a 5 minute monologue of criticism.

“The Reservists” – They pick out something, then announce they have no money. They want me to “hold” it for them until they can get the cash and return. Two weeks later I'm still waiting for them. Now I set a time limit and (usually 2hours) and ask for a non-refundable deposit. They usually refuse to agree to that, but if they aren’t a serious buyer – who cares? They probably had no intention of buying it in the first place, or were just playing one of their garage sale games. Are people that strapped that they don’t even have a few bucks on them? If they are, why did they stop?

“The Tycoon” – Usually a 40 to50-something male. Flashes a big fist of money and announces, “I’m a CASH buyer!” I think, “As opposed to what other means of tender?” They almost never buy and if they do, it some small, inexpensive item so they have an excuse to pull out their wad again to make an impression. I think the only person it impresses is them!

The “Director/ Critic” - tells me everything I've done wrong about the sale and/or tells me what to do to make it better. Everyone has a suggestion, e.g.

You have too many things out- that confuses and overwhelms people.”
You don't have enough things out to attract customers.”
You should put all items that have the same price on one table.”
Your sale is too mixed up. You should put similar items on one table like china here and glassware here.”
Everything is out displayed on tables. You know, people like to dig through boxes hoping they'll find hidden treasure.”
Why do you have so many things inboxes? I don't like to have to dig through a box. You should have everything out on a table where people can see it.”
Your sign isn't large enough.I almost drove by before I saw it.”
Your sign is too large. It blocks the street view of your sale.”
You should paint your sign in red letters instead of black. That would make it easier to see.”
I see your sign letters are painted red. That makes it harder to see, especially for color-blind people.”
You have your tables too close to the house. You should move the tables closer to the road so people can get an idea of what you have. ”
Your tables are to close to the road. That makes things easy to steal."
Get the idea?

“The Drive-bys” – they slow down and cruise by the sale, go up the block, turn and come back and drive ever so slowly by again, then suddenly zoom off, spraying the tables with road dust and leaving an acrid cloud of vehicle exhaust in their wake.

“The Idlers” – get out to look, but leave their vehicle motor running. These conveyances usually need a valve job and as they sit and idle, fill the air with sulfurous fumes and clattering noises.

“The Incontinents”– they don’t buy anything but ask to use the bathroom. I direct them to the nearest convenience store. They respond emphatically, “I can’t wait!” Makes me wonder why they take laxatives or have a 'big gulp' beverage just before heading out for garage sales.

“The Wanderers” - ask about something and when I look up after giving a detailed provenance,they are 10 feet away looking at something else like they aren't even listening. They they say something to the effect, “Tell me about this.”, and the process is repeated. Are they really interested in hearing about ANYTHING?

“The Lazies” – won’t get out of their vehicle. They want me to bring things over to them to look at. I could see this if they were physically handicapped, but I do not see their vehicle marked as such which is required in our state. Are they getting some kind of amusement having me run back and forth? They usually don’t buy anything anyway.

“The Alternative Buyer” (3subspecies)
1) the ones that do not want what's for sale on the tables, they want the table or tablecloth, or they see something that is not for sale and want it (like the car battery charger in the corner of the garage).
2) the people that choose an inexpensive item, then say, “I'll buy it if you throw this in too.” (picking a much higher priced item).
3) the ones that want a part of a set but not the whole set. e.g.
Them: "You have a pitcher and tumbler set. How much for just the pitcher?"
Me: "They all go together. $5."
Them: "I only want the pitcher. I'll give you 50¢for just that."

“The Invaders” – they look around for a minute, but don’t seem interested in anything. They hang around until I'm distracted with other customers, then go into the house or at least into areas they shouldn’t, and start looking around. When I discover them and point out that only the items outside are for sale, they scream, “Are you having a sale or not?” For some strange reason they assume that even things inside the house are for sale.

“The Schwarzeneggers” - see things they want, but don't have any money. They say they are going home or to an ATM to get some and announce, “I'll be back.” They never come back.

“The C-Noters” – treat me like an ATM machine. Will pick out a really inexpensive item (usually a dollar or less) then hand me a $100 bill. Makes me wonder why they didn’t bring small bills and change if they were going to garage sales. When I mention this, they usually respond “That's what the bank gave me.” Then I say, “You could ask for small bills.” I usually get a stink eye for my trouble.

“The Sticky Fingers” - like to make small items disappear. They even remove lamp socket knobs or one of a set of something.

“The Apologists” - constitute about 30% of customers. Always say something to the effect, “I don't know why I stopped, I really don't need anything.”

“The Hypnotists” - pick up something and hold onto it meanwhile engaging in interesting conversation. By the time they've gone, I realize I've been hypnotized with glib talk and they left without paying. Or if I catch them, they will say something to the effect “I already payed you for that.” What can I do? Another method is to keep repeating a price is lower that is actually marked. e.g. A set of shakers is $2, they say, “This is 50¢. ”I say, “No, they're $2.” A few minutes later they say, “50¢,okay?” I say, “Those are $2.” Several more times and I end up selling them for 50¢ believing what they oft repeated.

“The Traders” - will give anything but money for merchandise. Usually have something to swap which I'd have less use for than the item for sale. One man tried to give me storm windows (that wouldn't have fit my house anyway), and another wanted to swap for a pair of boxing gloves.

“The Imprinters” - the first price tag they see is 50¢, then think EVERYTHING is 50¢. Worse is when those people see the FREE box first.

"The Switcheroos" who come in 2 sub-species:
1) The ones that switch price tags when they think I'm not looking or not aware of my own prices. One time I had a stack of Cameo pattern Depression glass dinner plates for $10 and matching salad plates for $3. One man picked up the salad plates and put them on top of the dinner plates and held out $3. When I pointed out that the dinner plates were separate and another $10, he put everything back.
2)The ones that pick out several items and pay for them. Then seem to change their mind and put something back and pick out something else at a different price. Now how much do they get back or have to pay now. They do this several times until I don't know what they've paid for or what the bottom line is after all the switching.

“The Fake Buyer” - This is perhaps the worst kind. They walk around picking up armloads of stuff, getting my hopes up they are going to purchase a large quantity. After about 5 minutes of this, they suddenly dump everything and walk away. One time I had a lot of framed art prints. On older man came in and looked around. He said he would buy all the pictures if I wrapped them up for him and that he was very particular how they were wrapped. I scrambled to procure large sheets of heavy paper and twine, I then painstakingly wrapped them. He stood right there and watched carefully, not saying a word. Twenty minutes later, when I was all done, he announced, “I changed my mind.” and walked off.

“The Dumpers” - take a box of small items and dump or pull them out of the box and spread them around,but never seem to have the enthusiasm to put the things back I the box. Or some that take items and walk around, then put them back in another place. Sometime if I feel miffed enough, I will confront them about putting things back properly. Some don't say anything and walkaway. Some say “It's your sale, you put it back.”

“The Angels” - the rarest and most appreciated customers. They never argue over the prices, have no long stories to tell or any kids in tow (or have well-behaved kids), they have small bills and change, and buy at least $20 worth.

Miscellaneous: One woman I remember clearly, picked up some EAPG items and started to walk away. I accosted her and said those items totaled $12. She became very huffy and said, “It’s stuff you don’t want anyway or it wouldn’t be out here, so why should I have to pay ANYTHING?” This may be a sub-species of the “The Cheapo”.

Another man selected an antique caned-seat chair. He brought it over to me. I said. “It’s ten dollars.” He held out his empty hand. I repeated the price. He said, “Yeah, so where’s my ten?” He expected me to pay HIM to take it!

Honestly– I could write a book!
I love it Deb. You could have your own tv show! I love yard sales so much and never miss one if I can help it. :giggle:

Deb- you have the patience of an angel
I actually got teary eyed when you wrote about the man who asked for all the pictures to be wrapped up and once you’d done that, walked away. I’m not sure how you handle it.
I have zero patience in comparison.
I sincerely hope your garage sales are a success. You put so much time and energy into it, that you deserve the rewards.

I did well on Friday. People were stopping at 7:30 am and most bought something, even if it didn't make much of a dent in my volume. I thought today (Saturday) would be even better. The weather was exceptional and Saturday is more free time for people that work. Nobody stopped until about 9:10 am (sale officially started at 9 am). A lot of browsers, but no buyers. No one bought anything until almost noon, but again, small items. Maybe I'll never sell the antiques One woman said my prices were "outrageous". Well, if $2 or $3 is outrageous for an antique bitters bottles, she's entitled to her opinion.

fish bitters bottle.jpg

Last edited:
I have liquidated a few estates. I hold a couple of sales on 2 weekends, sell other big items online and then donate or give away the rest. I am only willing to donate a limited amount of time. I have downsized my own stuff this way. That’s terrible about the pictures Deb but I wouldn’t have wrapped them. I’m not being taken advantage of by people. You are really a nice person.

now I am getting the jitters and may never go to a sale again? - I organized one for a friend once and we had a large notice [billboard] outside - sale starts at 9am - lady came at 8.30 am said she was a dealer and wanted a preview ?? - no way hosea!!

now I am getting the jitters and may never go to a sale again? - I organized one for a friend once and we had a large notice [billboard] outside - sale starts at 9am - lady came at 8.30 am said she was a dealer and wanted a preview ?? - no way hosea!!
Usually there are a few who come early hoping to score something before the crowds arrive.

Try at least once. People may be different in your locale, but let us know how you did and if you got any "character" shoppers.

Yesterday I went to retrieve my signs I put up at two corners to point the way to my sale. That are fiberboard and I tie them to the street poles with grass trimmer cord. One was laying out in the middle of the street and I know how secure it was, so someone had to deliberately remove it ad throw it there. No way to tell if it was a disgruntled customer or the owner of the property on that corner. I think where the street sign is is public property. This is the corner:

sign.jpg

Back