A Karen?

Funny how racist that is, since there are black women just the same.
Well I think the definition is more than just difficult and demanding, it also includes that the 'Karen' (or 'Kevin') is assuming a level of privilege above other people based on their whiteness and birth (citizenship status). I don't think it has to be a middle class person tho, they seem pretty low class to me.

It's a woman who dares to complain about/defy rules. Even nonsensical ones.
I don't think that is correct, because that would cover a lot of different situations, some of them good progressive actions.

I found a fairly decent YouTube that explains the meaning:

In my experience a "Karen " wants to impose their concept of " The Rules " to force somebody to pay attention to them. Like a person who goes up to a construction site, and attempts to force them to stop working, at 2 pm on a week day, because her baby is being disturbed by the sound of their hammers, driving nails. Or the self appointed "parking lot Sheriff " who tries to make people bring back their carts, to the cart corral. Or the Super Karen , who decides to put her nose into a situation where Police are trying to make an arrest, of somebody she doesn't know. Huge amounts of self entitlement, mixed with a over blown sense of her own importance. JimB.

I'm still mystified and rather concerned for those whose actual name is Karen.

What I gather is a description of ill mannered, hysterical, shouty women who complain about everything. An ignorant argumentative type, easily triggered. I still can't see why Karen is the name given to such a woman.

It's a woman who dares to complain about/defy rules. Even nonsensical ones.
Is different from:
ill mannered, hysterical, shouty women who complain about everything. An ignorant argumentative type, easily triggered.
I like @chic 's, @Rose65 's not so much.

But I rather doubt women named Karen are really much different from most.

I'm still mystified and rather concerned for those whose actual name is Karen.

What I gather is a description of ill mannered, hysterical, shouty women who complain about everything. An ignorant argumentative type, easily triggered. I still can't see why Karen is the name given to such a woman.

That YouTube video I linked in my previous post includes interviews with people named Karen and how they feel about it. It also discusses some theories of how the name Karen became the label (like from movies and TV shows that had ignorant characters who happened to be named Karen). Also, the video said in slavery times a similar type was called 'a Miss Ann'. So, I guess not new.

A Karen " is a description of ill mannered, hysterical, shouty women who complain about everything. An ignorant argumentative type, easily triggered.
Oh, you met my ex-sister-in-law?
I think the term "Karen", being a slur on all those named Karen, is a bit of a reach. After all, there is a guy, named "John", and then there's toilet, the prostitute user, or an unknown dead guy. Nobody seems to be worried about "John's" feelings.

Last edited:
this isn't the first time a person's name has been used a a slur...

There's Wally ( in the south of England it means a person is an idiot) ... John/ny ( a toilet, a condom, Doe) ... ...Gaye ( which we all know was hi-jacked to be used to mean Homosexual) jezebel... Delilah.... Jane ( Jane Doe ) what about Richard ( Dick ) ?.... and the Male Karen Equivalent ..Ken & Steve ?

Back