A young person today confronted with a rotary telephone

Funny. I was just thinking of older folks poo-pooing the taste of banana because they haven't experienced the real thing for so long.

At first glance, the two bananas looked the same. Upon peeling the Gros Michel, however, I noticed it was much more fragrant than the Cavendish. Each banana seemed just as sweet as the other, and I couldn’t make out any pronounced acidity in either, but there was a clear difference in their texture. The Gros Michel was more firm, which gave it a creamier mouthfeel. After a few bites of each banana, taking sips of water between to reset my palate, I noticed that the Gros Michel’s flavor lingered significantly longer than the Cavendish’s.

https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/history-of-the-gros-michel-banana

Yeah, I need to let this go. :ROFLMAO:

Similar videos have been doing the rounds since the internet began......we would have been the same when we were kids if we'd been given something that was old technology that we'd not seen before... I think the kids are cute, they're interested ..and not dismissive of the older fashioned items ...

On another note if I may digress, at the college I worked at, I had a student walk in who had never seen a wall clock before and did not know how to tell time on it. He was only used to looking at digital time on his phone, laptop, etc. I kid you not!

Similar videos have been doing the rounds since the internet began......we would have been the same when we were kids if we'd been given something that was old technology that we'd not seen before... I think the kids are cute, they're interested ..and not dismissive of the older fashioned items ...

Great point. I am sure my mom would have had a good laugh if she had asked me to use this to wash my clothes when I was 17.

0954e9dea7a8eab898e72a0ba3684342.jpg

Ours was mounted on the wall and when it rang, we had no idea who was calling
But we didn't get scam calls back then and unless one was dodging bill collectors. which we never had to, it was "safe" to answer the phone. :) As far as prank calls, once a boy broke in on the party line of the family who owned the house we lived in. Their daughter, who wasn't very nice to me, was on the phone. The boy said something threatening that scared her. Then he must've laughed or something and she realized it was a prank. So it may have been safe to answer the phone but ya sure had to watch what (and who) ya talked about in the days of party lines. :LOL:
@chic @hollydolly @Gary O'

Last edited:
But we didn't get scam calls back then and unless one was dodging bill collectors. which we never had to, it was "safe" to answer the phone. :) As far as prank calls, once a boy broke in on the party line of the family who owned the house we lived in. Their daughter, who wasn't very nice to me, was on the phone. The boy said something threatening that scared her. Then he must've laughed or something and we found out it was a prank. So it may have been safe to answer the phone but ya sure had to watch what (and who) ya talked about in the days of party lines. :LOL:
@chic @hollydolly @Gary O'
I missed party lines. Maybe born too late? But we did, I did get, obscene phone calls that were really bothersome. Anybody else get those? It was kind of scary..

One thing I do like about current technology is people know more so there may be fewer surprises.

I missed party lines. Maybe born too late? But we did, I did get, obscene phone calls that were really bothersome. Anybody else get those? It was kind of scary..

One thing I do like about current technology is people know more so there may be fewer surprises.
I never got obscene phone calls, thank goodness.

phone.jpg
We kept our rotary phone, it still connected and works perfectly. Using other appliances about the house negates the need to dial when making an outbound call, but it is amusing to see faces when the phone rings. Better still, pick up the hand set and it's obvious that it's not just there for show.

There is one benefit to the rotary dial, kids never ask me if they can use my phone when they can't get a signal.

phone2.jpg

Back