Adult children broke into my house and now I moved due to fear.

smilingmore

I was so happy living alone. I got it right at last. Then I came home from shopping to discover my house had been broken into and personal items stolen. My son picks locks. I was so scared to leave the house after that. I kept thinking about another break in. I have TSD since my husband's suicide. I cried day and night, was in a panic. A daughter from out of state said I should sell the house and move to her area. So I donated almost everything I owned, and put the house up for sale. My daughter and grandson came to move me.
I had planned to buy another house here but due to my age, 86, my family says it's not wise. They want me to live permanently with them and gave me a bedroom and an office for my writing.
Does anyone have any suggestions that will guide me? Family is at work and grandkids at college during the day so I am alone until evening. It's a new city to me and I get lost just shopping.

I'm sorry your son did that to you! I take it you have completed the move to your daughter's house. I agree that buying a home at 86 may not be a good idea unless you are strong and handy. Who would do the maintenance and upkeep when things break or become too much for you to handle? If you are comfortable in your daughter's home and are being treated well, it might be best to stay there. If you'd rather be on your own, then perhaps you could look for a senior apartment or an apartment in a nice area. At least you won't have a pressing deadline. I wish you the best in whatever you decide. BTW, I like @hawkdon's idea about checking out the area's council on aging,

I'm glad to hear you have a safe place to live now. I'm sure you'll soon get adjusted and find all kinds of things to keep you busy when the family is at work/school. About that break-in... you said your son picks locks, but has he admitted to being the burglar for this incident? Like was he arrested/charged... or could it have been a burglary of opportunity when the house was empty?

How long ago did this happen? Months? Weeks?
Have you seen if there are any condos you could buy in the area? With a condo there's no yard or minimal yard to worry about. Do you want to live with them?

Are there any Senior Apartments in the area if you want to go back to living alone? Look in your area for a Senior Center. Call 2-1-1 and see if they can tell you over the phone about Senior activities.

I respectfully disagree with your family. While it might be unwise to buy a house at 86, it's not unwise to buy a condo.

Prowl around on your computer to learn more about your new neighborhood. Is there a senior activity center nearby? Where are stores and other places you might want to go. At 86 it is good to have folks around in case you have some kind of bad event. I am 90 and my daughter who recently moved back to this area often checks on me. I find that is a comfort.

I was so happy living alone. I got it right at last. Then I came home from shopping to discover my house had been broken into and personal items stolen. My son picks locks. I was so scared to leave the house after that. I kept thinking about another break in. I have TSD since my husband's suicide. I cried day and night, was in a panic. A daughter from out of state said I should sell the house and move to her area. So I donated almost everything I owned, and put the house up for sale. My daughter and grandson came to move me.
I had planned to buy another house here but due to my age, 86, my family says it's not wise. They want me to live permanently with them and gave me a bedroom and an office for my writing.
Does anyone have any suggestions that will guide me? Family is at work and grandkids at college during the day so I am alone until evening. It's a new city to me and I get lost just shopping.

I wonder if you need to get a restraining order against the son who broke in? Perhaps your new location is far enough away. It is hard to change your setting in older age. My father in law had always been very gregarious and out going socially but by the time he moved into town to senior housing in his 90's his memory was getting spotty and he began losing confidence. Not so much that he didn't make time for two women friends though.

Anyone steals from me, family or otherwise, better be on their way out of the country or they will wish they had been. Two things in life I can't stand; 1 is a liar and 2 is a thief.

If you have proof that they broke into your home and stole the items, you may want to call them and tell them they have 48 hours to return the items or they should expect a visit from the local police or sheriff.

In the meantime. get your locks changed.

if I had a bedroom and an office given to me in a caring family members' home.. I might not think of moving anywhere else even now in my 60's much less in my mid -80s''...

This must have happened quite a while ago given that you've been able to sell most of your things and have the house up for sale now...

It's important you stay where you're the most comfortable , and where you feel the most safe.. and at 86 tbh, you need to be close to people who will find you if you have a collapse, which can easily happen in your autumn years...

if you do decide to stay with your daughter, make it a priority to make a new Will, to ensure the thieving son gets nothing....

In the meantime look up things to do for seniors in your area.. and start there ...

Very best wishes to you, and I hope you live a long healthy happy life from now on...

I live in a rental unit on the 8th floor and love it. It is completely safe here. When I go down to the gym or went I go outside for my walk, I don't even bother locking my door.

At your age I would not recommend buying another house. Too many stories about "break and enter" into homes for my comfort. Anyway, a home requires a lot of maintenance. By the way, I hope your bad son is no longer in your will. If you is, then I would recommend that you get your will changed as soon as possible.

if I had a bedroom and an office given to me in a caring family members' home.. I might not think of moving anywhere else even now in my 60's much less in my mid -80s''...

This must have happened quite a while ago given that you've been able to sell most of your things and have the house up for sale now...

It's important you stay where you're the most comfortable , and where you feel the most safe.. and at 86 tbh, you need to be close to people who will find you if you have a collapse, which can easily happen in your autumn years...

if you do decide to stay with your daughter, make it a priority to make a new Will, to ensure the thieving son gets nothing....

In the meantime look up things to do for seniors in your area.. and start there ...

Very best wishes to you, and I hope you live a long healthy happy life from now on...
Not me. Forgive me, The Meek, but I feel like after all I have done in life and all the care I have given to others, I deserve my own place.

When you are given a room, where is your kitchen? Where are your pots and pans? If you want to get a pet of your own, does it have to live in your room 24/7?

If you're an invalid and you need to live with others so they can care for you, that's one thing. But if you're an independent person who still wants a social life, where shall you invite people over? To your room?

Maybe the OP really needs help 24/7. But golly people, we should all be able to choose our lives up until we are not capable of that anymore.

Not me. Forgive me, The Meek, but I feel like after all I have done in life and all the care I have given to others, I deserve my own place.

When you are given a room, where is your kitchen? Where are your pots and pans? If you want to get a pet of your own, does it have to live in your room 24/7?

If you're an invalid and you need to live with others so they can care for you, that's one thing. But if you're an independent person who still wants a social life, where shall you invite people over? To your room?

Maybe the OP really needs help 24/7. But golly people, we should all be able to choose our lives up until we are not capable of that anymore.
yes...and it all depends on age and circumstance. The OP is 86 years old... has already been a victim of a robbery in her home, from her own family member.. so the likelihood is it could happen again.

With regard a kitchen I'm sure she has free access to her daughters' kitchen.. no need to be slaving in a kitchen of her own.. and she will also feel safe within the bosum of her daughter and family who would be there for any medical issues which may arise suddenly..

With regard pets...IF the op wanted pets.. she may have them already, or she may have family pets that she shares with her family... she may not even want pets..

Holly, I would never be sure of anything when it comes to the elderly. The stuff I have seen, the stories I have heard.... My first thought when OP said her relatives told her not to buy another home (like a condo), is that they want to take over her cash; get themselves as signers on her bank accounts and spend it now. Not bother waiting for their inheritance.

That was my first thought because I have seen a ton of crime in my area for the past 40 years - petty crimes, major crimes. You name it, we got it. You do not want to visit my state! Stay home and be safe!

Stan Lee's Last Days: A Shocking Tale of Love and Abuse

If you have never seen The Trip to Bountiful, the film for which Geraldine Page won a well-deserved Oscar, do watch it. The story has many themes, but it's also a cautionary tale about how younger people can think they own older people because they are helping them with housing.

Anyway - so you think everythign is peachy. I'm wondering why we have not HEARD from the OP since she started this thread? Is she OK? Is she ill? Or have they restricted her Internet use?

The lady OP joined the forum 7 years ago..and rarely ever posts here, a total of 51 posts in 7 years .. so I'm not concerned about her in that instance .

She's already stated that her Daughter has provided her with a room and an Office... hardly someone who is being held ''hostage'' so to speak...

She seems happy where she is... she just wanted advice on whether she should buy another home, and or how to make friends in her new area as her family are out of the house all day...

I see no reason for red lights here...

And yes the break in is a little unclear. At old or new location? A drug problem involved? Or just a pos?

Family is the worst because they know they get more leeway than a friend or stranger and purposely exploit that.

I'm sorry your son did that to you! I take it you have completed the move to your daughter's house. I agree that buying a home at 86 may not be a good idea unless you are strong and handy. Who would do the maintenance and upkeep when things break or become too much for you to handle? If you are comfortable in your daughter's home and are being treated well, it might be best to stay there. If you'd rather be on your own, then perhaps you could look for a senior apartment or an apartment in a nice area. At least you won't have a pressing deadline. I wish you the best in whatever you decide. BTW, I like @hawkdon's idea about checking out the area's council on aging,
Thank you for responding. I am still trying to adjust and often break down in tears just thinking about the past, which concerns the family. I'm sure I will adjust in time.

Even when my mom went through 3 bouts of different types of cancer from 77-89 she never wanted to live with any of us kids. She lived alone until a week before she died.

Now that I will be 70 this year I totally understand why she wanted to live alone. Who wants to give up their privacy or independence? If I was the OP and could take care of myself I would buy a condo or rent a apartment.

And yes the break in is a little unclear. At old or new location? A drug problem involved? Or just a pos?

Family is the worst because they know they get more leeway than a friend or stranger and purposely exploit that.
The break in was at my old home, that is why I moved. I was scared and running from my kids. I am now safe with other adult children.

I was so happy living alone. I got it right at last. ...They want me to live permanently with them and gave me a bedroom and an office for my writing.

That is a tremendous amount of change.

I suppose it is very boring being alone all day in a new place.

One suggestion would be to sign up for some sort of weekly talk session, preferably in person but I guess zoom would work.

When I had foster kids I had to attend some of their therapy sessions and I was so impressed with the usefulness of just going to chat each week about how things were going. Before that I thought therapy was about psychological problems and freudian weirdness, but it was like friendly sympathetic life-coaching. Such as, what changes would make you feel better, what would be a specific step toward one specific goal that you could do this week, then going back the next week and discussing how that worked out.

Another suggestion I'd have would be to re-think the living arrangement. It isn't a good time (mortgage rates) to buy a new home, but if it were (if finances aren't a problem), what about finding a home with a mother-in-law setup and then your daughter, grandkids, and you all moving to it and you paying a half of the mortgage (or whatever percent would be appropriate to the size of the mother-in-law space, maybe a third of the mortgage).

My parents proposed a shared mortgage to me when I was middle aged and not married and renting, and it worked out really great for us, I had the mother-in-law apartment so I was totally independent with my own front door. And after my father died my mom and I bought a different house in a different state the same way with a shared mortgage, and the mortgage was set up so that if I died the house would be totally in her name and vice versa. Of course you have to be confident in the relationship to do that.

Or, if a new house isn't an option, maybe the current home could have an addition added (paid for by you, with proper plans and permits and construction etc) that would let you have a full living space (bathroom, kitchen etc). Your daughter might find that a benefit if it is done in a well-designed way that adds value to her home. I'm assuming she owns the house.

Are there any senior centers near you? Those can be a good way to make friends at activities, assuming you still drive and/or there is a bus you can take to get there.

If you really want to be totally on your own, I moved to a condo in a 55+ gated community and I love it. In addition to non-residents having to stop at the security gate and only being allowed in if their name has been approved by the person they are coming to visit, entry to the high-rises have locked lobby doors that you have to have a code (or key) to enter (I.e., lots of security here). People in their 80s move in here, I'm on the younger end at 67 yrs, but there are lots of very old people (up to 100 yrs at least) in the building.

I want to thank everyone for their replies and concerns about me. It's been several months since moving in with my daughter's family and things are good here. I do have access to the kitchen. But family life is so different from what it was when I was raising my children. I think it is the age of technology that has changed it. I phones keep them connected whether at work or simply in the next room. I have one too but I prefer to use my desktop computer.

I just got my drivers' license for this state. I still get lost when I drive because there are no maps or directories so I go to the computer and print directions to where I need to go. Much of my belongings were damaged in the move due to the persons who loaded the containers not knowing how to load or tie-down correctly. At first I was very homesick and cried a lot, but once my house was sold and closed I got over that. There are still things that need to be done when one makes a big move like getting license plates for the truck, transferring insurance, having medical records transferred to my new doctor and getting the handicap tag for my vehicle for parking.

My little dog has come to terms with living with four huge dogs.

Most of my belongings are still in storage so I miss my books. I had a nice library in my home before. We're getting ready for a big yard sale so there goes my loved antiques and collectibles. When this happens in later life a person feels stripped and naked. It's hard, but I am a survivor and thank God for my good health.

I want to thank everyone for their replies and concerns about me. It's been several months since moving in with my daughter's family and things are good here. I do have access to the kitchen. But family life is so different from what it was when I was raising my children. I think it is the age of technology that has changed it. I phones keep them connected whether at work or simply in the next room. I have one too but I prefer to use my desktop computer.

I just got my drivers' license for this state. I still get lost when I drive because there are no maps or directories so I go to the computer and print directions to where I need to go. Much of my belongings were damaged in the move due to the persons who loaded the containers not knowing how to load or tie-down correctly. At first I was very homesick and cried a lot, but once my house was sold and closed I got over that. There are still things that need to be done when one makes a big move like getting license plates for the truck, transferring insurance, having medical records transferred to my new doctor and getting the handicap tag for my vehicle for parking.

My little dog has come to terms with living with four huge dogs.

Most of my belongings are still in storage so I miss my books. I had a nice library in my home before. We're getting ready for a big yard sale so there goes my loved antiques and collectibles. When this happens in later life a person feels stripped and naked. It's hard, but I am a survivor and thank God for my good health.
Bless your heart :) I think you're doing fine and I envy you that you have kids that love and care about you enough to give you a home.

@smilingmore Gosh, I hope you are OK. If my health got so bad that I had no choice but to move into an adult child's home then I would accept that it's better than a nursing home in many ways, but it would be very tough to give up my books and beloved antiques. I have some thrift store paintings that I treasure. Those would certainly be on the walls all the way up to the ceiling. That's a non-negotiable.

Have you tried using Apple Maps when you drive? I'm not a fan of Google or Waze maps, but Apple is pretty good 95% of the time.

Try to find out what Senior Centers are near you. Check the library too. Arizona is a big retirement state so I'll bet there's a lot of stuff going on for Seniors as long as you don't live too far out in the boonies.

Back