Anything and everything about gardening in 2024

Piney has been with us for 2 years, now. He seems to be strong and healthy!
emoticon

IMG_20240131_142753_kindlephoto-165114788.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_230202_074527982-364x639_kindlephoto-58304915.jpg

IMG_20220201_102817_kindlephoto-75798172.jpg
(just planted, 2022)

Got to get the tiller on the tractor, hit and hill the garden. Got 5 Plum trees and about a dozen grape to transplant. Neighbor up the road has a ton of blackberries I can dig up...
I used to like blackberries!!! They grow wild throughout my wooded area. The thorns drive me crazy, so now I don't like them as much! LOL 😜

Happy tilling!

Only thing in the garden so far. Planted 200 cloves of garlic back in October. I tilled a new bed last fall, approximately 30' x 60', adding to the existing garden. Getting all my seeds and pots, heat mats, etc, ready for starting my plants. It's too early here, zone 5b, another month or so and my front room will be loaded with seedlings. Not much I enjoy more than growing my own food.

Attachments

• IMG_20230714_193935104_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230714_193935104_HDR.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 2
Only thing in the garden so far. Planted 200 cloves of garlic back in October. I tilled a new bed last fall, approximately 30' x 60', adding to the existing garden. Getting all my seeds and pots, heat mats, etc, ready for starting my plants. It's too early here, zone 5b, another month or so and my front room will be loaded with seedlings. Not much I enjoy more than growing my own food.
Home grown garlic is absolutely the best!!! Yours look great!! (makes me want to start cooking! 😁)

I did give it a try years ago. All I got out of it was these little tiny things....too small to be of any use. In my defense, I can't really have a formal garden, especially for veggies....too much wildlife coming through and little to no rain in the summer. (those 90°F-100°F temps day after day, make for a losing battle.) I guess I'll just stick with indigenous flowers.

Home grown garlic is absolutely the best!!! Yours look great!! (makes me want to start cooking! 😁)

I did give it a try years ago. All I got out of it was these little tiny things....too small to be of any use. In my defense, I can't really have a formal garden, especially for veggies....too much wildlife coming through and little to no rain in the summer. (those 90°F-100°F temps day after day, make for a losing battle.) I guess I'll just stick with indigenous flowers.
My husband grows garlic. It is good!

Why do you have to burn the bulb field? What is the purpose of that?
The Bulb Field is my garden where I plant indigenous annual plants and bulbs. I don't water it or weed it...just let it go "natural". By the end of the summer it is full of grass that would choke out all of the spring bulbs and flowers that I have planted. By burning all of that off, it give the annuals room to grow, and it also supplies fertilizer for them.

This is the newest addition to The Fairy Garden....

Dio has named him "Caw"! (good name for a crow!) He is mounted on the stump of what used to be the coffee cup tree.

I love that I can easily see him from 3 different windows, and the kitchen door. Plus, he is right by the new place that I've hung the coffee cups!

The trails are starting to wake up with color! Not only with daffodils and forsythias, but the red bud trees are starting to bloom, too!

Dio took this picture from our
window, yesterday. Not only does it show a bunch of the flowers that are by the house, but I like how it shows the bushes blooming along the driveway, in the background.

Here is a row of flowers that I've only recently planted. Eventually, I expect that they will multiply and fill in. These are on the other side of the house, just outside of our
bedroom window.

Apparently, the lighting wasn't right for this picture....it seems to be washed out. 😕 Anyway, this is how we fixed up the corner of the Fairy Garden, after Dio cut down the coffee cup tree. The coffee cups have moved to the cedar! We have our crow (Caw!) on the stump, surrounded by beautiful two-tone daffodils!

My avatar is The Biltmore Estate in North Carolina. This time of year they have daffodil gardens.
Next will be tulips. We went one year for those-beautiful!
My avatar is The Biltmore Estate in North Carolina. This time of year they have daffodil gardens.
Next will be tulips. We went one year for those-beautiful!

Did you take any photos there you’d like to share? We flew to South Carolina for that last big total eclipse and while we were there we drove up into N Carolina for the day and happened right by that estate. Sorely tempted but with little time to spare and given price of entry decided against it. I’ll bet it is a dream.

Did you take any photos there you’d like to share? We flew to South Carolina for that last big total eclipse and while we were there we took a day to drive up into N Carolina for the day and happened right by that estate. Sorely tempted but with little time to spare and given price of entry decided against it. I’ll bet it is a dream.
I might be able to find some from our trip plus my son proposed to my DIL there.

Well, the Bulb Field is getting started....but we are expecting to go below freezing. I hope they survive!

View attachment 332427View attachment 332428View attachment 332431View attachment 332432

Spring in a four season garden must be so exciting. In a two season garden (wet and dry) there is just a gradual transition of dominant plants. Of course when the rains (by far the shorter season) come the garden does perk up but the change isn’t as dramatic as in yours.

I love what you do in your bulb field!

Last edited:

Back