Boot camp company pics.

In 1968, I joined the US Navy. I went to boot-camp at Great Lakes. I was in company 68-something or other. The Navy took a group shot of my company on our graduation day. I used to know the address to get a copy of that pic, but it's lost to time. It's coming up to the 60th anniversary in a few years. I've toyed with the idea of getting that old pic. Somehow, you remember your boot camp buds. And if the new Navy is anything like the old Navy, they never threw out any document.

Great Lakes, IL Naval Training Center - 1965,Great Lakes NTC,Company ...

militaryyearbookproject.org

iu

Not 1968...maybe the site has a pic.?

Found mine buried in a box when we were packing to move a few years back. Surprised the glass wasn't broke. Then remembered and took it out... had notes and stuff on the back. Also found a couple polaroids that got stuck in there.

Air Force basic wasn't hard physically but they played a lot of mind games on us. We had two main TI's (Training Instructors) as they called them. The head TI was Tech Sergeant Olness and his assistant was Tech Sergeant McDougal.

Looking back on it I think they might have been playing good guy, bad guy with us. Olness was tough but he wasn't mean. McDougal on the other hand was a nasty piece of work. I hate him to this very day. I still sometimes fantasize about finding him in some retirement home in Florida (he must be in his late 80's by now) and giving him a beat down for all the misery he brought down on me in those 6 weeks at Lakeland back oin 1970.

After basic while I was still in the Air Force the movie "Billy Jack" came out and I hated it because the main character, Billy Jack looked so like McDougal did in his Smokey the Bear TI hat.

much JPG0291-01mc.jpgBilly-Jack-Tom-Laughlin-With-Classic-Hat-Shotgun-24x36-Movie-Poster-HD-Aluminum-Wall-Art_7c60...jpeg

Back