Boy Dog Goes For Surgery Next Wednesday

So good to see your boy back home with family where he belongs. I can't imagine how you both felt being apart for so long, you're right, the crate must have stressed him out too, but it was wise for them to confine him. Hope Mason has no issues with the stitches and heals well with minimal pain. Hugs for you both. 💚

Stylish fella napping ...
Decided to put a sock on it
Should help keep it cleaner and dryer

Mason only wears the waterproof MediPaw boot when he goes out
(photo with the MediPaw at bottom of page 1)
If left on all the time, humidity builds up in the MediPaw and it holds moisture ... not good

Before and after sock ...

KkkguKy.jpeg

Vgx3fyO.jpeg

Love that sock, @Naturally ! 🤩
It's So very much ..... more love-filled? (than the original covering)
Can't think of the right word for it. ☺️

I was sorry to read that the surgery was delayed, so that he'd spent longer there, and both of you were separated for longer duration, as well.:confused:

Very glad to hear that he's home, now, and that you're both doing the best you can do.

I hope the athletic sock is okay. I emailed the vet for an opinion but being Sunday, likely won't hear anything until tomorrow.

I think the sock over the bandage is going to be a game changer.
I can change that everyday if need be and don't have to be AS worried about him slipping out the pet door without his boot on. Although if the sock gets wet, the bandage will likely get wet too ... which isn't a good thing.

... another thing about the sock is I don't feel like I have to watch him as closely to ensure he isn't messing with the bandage when he isn't wearing the cone. He'd have a pretty tough time getting through the sock to mess with the bandage. So the sock helps me relax a notch.

Weird but I think Mason likes the white sock over that strange blue bandage. White matches some of his markings and may feel more "natural" to him ... but that's a bit overthinking it perhaps :ROFLMAO:

I thought about leaving the MediPaw boot on but it is waterproof and will will hold humidity and moisture which couldn't be a good thing. So I only use the MediPaw per the discharge instructions I was given and only use the boot when going outside.

I have hardwood floors throughout the house and the bandage was getting dirtier quicker than I liked, so the sock came to mind.

That post about the sock, all sounds like good thinking to me,
@Naturally (y)
It doesn't seem too tight around the top; just tight enough to keep it from slipping. And good, folded over, too.
So it seems good, to me too.

And is much more personalized ...
(and love-filled :LOL:, I have a new word now, for my vocabulary, thanks to you, and Mason!)
:giggle::)

We had a cat with thyroid issues, the local vet wanted to put her down, but we opted for a better vet who then referred us to a specialty surgeon for radiation treatment. We had a few more years with her until a stroke happened that she couldn't recover from. The radiation treatment was a budget buster but quickly forgotten when we finally got her home for long hug and chin rub.

Last edited:
I'm glad Mason's ordeal is pretty much over. Bless that beautiful boy. My heart goes out to him. 💗💗💗

Rose, he's only been home 3days and it feels like 3 weeks. There have been some challenges I haven't discussed but he has required and demanded my full attention. The play by play would take almost as long to narrate HA.

Mason's insurance covers an around the clock attendant though ... me ;) :ROFLMAO:

The vet will call me later today to let me know when the bandage can come off and sutures removed but we're still a couple of weeks out I think. When I speak to them this afternoon ... I'll ask if I should be real concerned about his clumsy adventure following his morning meal this morning, when he bumped his water bowl and stood in a small puddle as he refreshed himself from the bowl. NOT GOOD. Supposed to keep the bandage dry and was cautioned if it got wet, to take him in for re-bandage. BUT ... I changed the sock and all seems dry now. Just one(1) of the never ending things to watch for. I swapped his water bowl for deeper less prone to tip bowl.

Last night was kind of a challenge. He was showing signs of pain, discomfort and anxiety. I gave him a 300mg Gabapentin capsule <<< easier said than done. Had to wrestle the pit bull boy to get it down. Wish it was a chewable. He loves his chewables. After the Gabapentin kicked in, he stopped continuously panting and slept well.

... what next :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Rose, he's only been home 3days and it feels like 3 weeks. There have been some challenges I haven't discussed but he has required and demanded my full attention. The play by play would take almost as long to narrate HA.

Mason's insurance covers an around the clock attendant though ... me ;) :ROFLMAO:

The vet will call me later today to let me know when the bandage can come off and sutures removed but we're still a couple of weeks out I think. When I speak to them this afternoon ... I'll ask if I should be real concerned about his clumsy adventure following his morning meal this morning, when he bumped his water bowl and stood in a small puddle as he refreshed himself from the bowl. NOT GOOD. Supposed to keep the bandage dry and was cautioned if it got wet, to take him in for re-bandage. BUT ... I changed the sock and all seems dry now. Just one(1) of the never ending things to watch for. I swapped his water bowl for deeper less prone to tip bowl.

Last night was kind of a challenge. He was showing signs of pain, discomfort and anxiety. I gave him a 300mg Gabapentin capsule <<< easier said than done. Had to wrestle the pit bull boy to get it down. Wish it was a chewable. He loves his chewables. After the Gabapentin kicked in, he stopped continuously panting and slept well.

... what next :ROFLMAO:
@Naturally
It sounds a bit concerning, that Mason was showing pain & anxiety. Perhaps you could crush the Gabapentin capsule and mix it in with a teaspoon of food or peanut butter.

@Naturally
I am glad to hear that his recovery is going well even if you encountered some challenges along the way. The fact that he is with you recovering is so comforting. He looks really good on the pictures and seems to truly enjoy getting spoiled by you!
Thank you for sharing these moments with us.
Take care, Naturally. Hugs to both of you.

PS: just read Pinky's post. We used to do the same with our dachshunds when we needed to give them medication.

EXCELLENT idea @Pinky !!! :cool:

I've been real stingy with the Gabapentin. It upsets his stomach (loose bowels) and causes him to graze grass. It just doesn't sit well with him. But if push comes to shove, I give it to him anyway if it's a necessary "evil". He also gets Galliprant and has been on that for about a year now. Our local vet thought the old boy might have a touch of arthritis. But the Galliprant just isn't kicking everything to the curb ... so Gabapentin ... when push comes to shove.

EDIT: And late last night was the only time since home, that he showed signs of pain, discomfort and anxiety. Otherwise he's been doing real good and hasn't showed those signs today ... yet anyway.

Last edited:

Back