Boy Dog Goes For Surgery Next Wednesday

Currently napping on the leather observation platform in his 2 bdrm 1 bath kennel
Where he can keep a diligent eye on things ... and his human

hKF3sh2.jpeg

Thank you, Naturally, for all the updates and pictures.
I agree with Pinky -- we take no pills in this house without peanut butter.

I think it's a very good sign that he's moved from Fort Sofa to the observation platform. It means he's feeling up to his responsibilities of home security officer. Even if he did need a short nap once he got to work.

God bless you all.

Now there's the other reason, that you missed him so deeply when he was away from home.;):sneaky:

We all understand better, now that we've seen the photo evidence presented.☺️😊😄

It's obvious that he is the one who does all of the real work,

around the establishment! 😁😄☺️🥰

(Only kidding, of course. We understand that it's stressful at the same time as that you're glad he's at home and with you. We're all trying to help keep your spirits up and strong, for both of your benefits.)

I decided for peace of mind, to take Mason back to SRVS for a bandage check / change (since he stepped in the puddle this morning). I just got off the phone with them. They are about to go into surgery, will call when they are out of surgery and have me drive over this afternoon but it may be in a couple of hours before I hear from them. They said they'd wait an hour-ish for us to get there. If something changes with them and they can't get to Mason this afternoon, then we'll be there at 8:15 in the morning. Just waiting to see how it goes.

Oh and it will cost another $100-$150 I'm sure. At least according to what they charged on the invoice for bandage to begin with ... plus gas out of town and back.

Everything MAY be fine. I just haven't been able to completely talk myself out of reaching out to them. And in hindsight I'm not experienced with doggie bandages or qualified to evaluate it.

... what next :ROFLMAO:

EDIT: After thinking about it, my plan is to wait another half hour or and then start the out of town drive over there. Hopefully by the time they call after they're done with surgery, we'll almost be there. And if something has come up and they can't get to us ... we'll turn around and drive over in the morning. I just don't want them sitting and waiting an hour-ish for us. They are nice and accommodating to us and I want to be as well.

That does sound like the best plan, for all of you.

Mason, being the first priority while he's post-op, and in yours and theirs, as well.

I hope the timing will work out well, and that it'll be a small thing for them (and for Mason) to get it checked and fixed correctly for sure, which you can't be sure of, yourself.

Rose, he's only been home 3days and it feels like 3 weeks. There have been some challenges I haven't discussed but he has required and demanded my full attention. The play by play would take almost as long to narrate HA.

Mason's insurance covers an around the clock attendant though ... me ;) :ROFLMAO:

The vet will call me later today to let me know when the bandage can come off and sutures removed but we're still a couple of weeks out I think. When I speak to them this afternoon ... I'll ask if I should be real concerned about his clumsy adventure following his morning meal this morning, when he bumped his water bowl and stood in a small puddle as he refreshed himself from the bowl. NOT GOOD. Supposed to keep the bandage dry and was cautioned if it got wet, to take him in for re-bandage. BUT ... I changed the sock and all seems dry now. Just one(1) of the never ending things to watch for. I swapped his water bowl for deeper less prone to tip bowl.

Last night was kind of a challenge. He was showing signs of pain, discomfort and anxiety. I gave him a 300mg Gabapentin capsule <<< easier said than done. Had to wrestle the pit bull boy to get it down. Wish it was a chewable. He loves his chewables. After the Gabapentin kicked in, he stopped continuously panting and slept well.

... what next :ROFLMAO:
I'd ask the vet before I tried this solution: I empty the capsule of Gabapentin into 2 ounces of blueberry yogurt, stir it around on a paper plate and my dog doesn't notice the med.

Took Mason back to the vet yesterday as I mentioned I felt I needed to for peace of mind after he stood in a little puddle of water at his water bowl.

Well, we left home at 4 P.M. and got home at 9:15 P.M. !!!
The vet wasn't out of surgery until just after 8, before he could tend to Mason.

The vet tech that returned Mason to me said Dr. Martin made the bandage more heavy duty and water resistant.
... maybe for hardwood floors around here ... and an inattentive owner :ROFLMAO:

I figured there would be an after hours charge, but nope. I think they're doing us right.
And the thing is, I think the original bandage is still there !!! ... the invoice charge is for "Bandage Fortification".

"Don't make me use this" ...

6PN23up.jpeg

8sZGAhP.jpeg

gKgfwZo.jpeg

Stylish fella napping ...
Decided to put a sock on it
Should help keep it cleaner and dryer

Mason only wears the waterproof MediPaw boot when he goes out
(photo with the MediPaw at bottom of page 1)
If left on all the time, humidity builds up in the MediPaw and it holds moisture ... not good

Before and after sock ...

KkkguKy.jpeg

Vgx3fyO.jpeg
Awwww. The poor little fella. Thats a serious bandage. It looks almost cast like. How is he doing? Does he sleep more ? Hugs! 🤗

Thanks @Kaila ... we've settled into a routine and just waiting for suture removal on Friday May 3rd.
He may or may not have to continue to wear a bandage after that and will be evaluated.
Paw "wounds" are sometimes hard to heal and absorb lots of pressure so will see on the 3rd how well the paw has healed.

The good news is that Mason doesn't favor that paw in that the surgical procedure didn't cause continued discomfort in and of itself.
He's a trooper and we'll get through this :)

That probably helps w/coating his stomach a little too. Preventing an upset stomach.
Yes, empty stomachs can cause a build up of bile and a vicious circle of not eating and more bile.

One of my dogs had chronic pancreatitis causing painful flare ups and refusal to eat. One day, after she'd been under the bed all day refusing everything including water, I called the Ohio State Vet Schools hotline.

The young girl suggested Gerber's strained, baby food chicken, slightly heated. She came out from under the bed.

GREAT new today on that boy dog, Mason !!!
There were two growths removed from his paw, a larger one and a smaller one that "concerned" Dr Martin.
Lab results came back today and both growths ... BENIGN !!! WOooHOoo :)

On initial examination 2wks ago, first words from Dr Martin was, "That looks cancerous."
That comment was based on decades of experience and what he'd seen on other dogs.
So allay'alls well wishes and our prayers WORKED !!! ... BENIGN !!!

Thank you ❤️

Back