Chick-fil-A Announce a Move Back to Chicken with Anti-Biotics

VaughanJB

Scrappy
SOURCE: Chick-fil-A announces that it will no longer serve antibiotic-free chicken

Interesting in this day and age, where everything is trying to be more natural. They claim a lack of supply, but what does that say about the food chain?

“To maintain supply of the high-quality chicken you expect from us, Chick-fil-A will shift from No Antibiotics Ever (NAE) to No Antibiotics Important To Human Medicine (NAIHM) starting in the Spring of 2024,” the announcement read.

No specific deadline has yet to be announced for the change to roll out.

According to the Chick-fil-A website, NAE means no antibiotics of any kind were used in the raising of the animal, while NAIHM “restricts the use of those antibiotics that are important to human medicine and commonly used to treat people, and allows use of animal antibiotics only if the animal and those around it were to become sick.”

This reminds me of the ban on much of the chicken from the US in Europe and the UK. So called "Chlorinated Chicken" is a no go...... WSame goes for beef imports from the US that are banned.

The food industry is really good at deceptive ads that supposedly indicate quality.
"Free range" means there's a door in the chicken coop, it does not mean they use it. The "range" can be as little as a six inch square. When people think of 'free range', they think of a chicken walking around a huge yard.
To me, this sounds more like a lawsuit filed by someone, who got a reaction to "NO antibiotics," but didn't read the fine print about sick chickens getting them.

Excessive antibiotic use in humans has led to the emergece of antibiotic-resistant pathogens (MRSA etc). The same will likely happen with poultry, if it hasn't already. There's still controversy over UK imports of Superdrob chicken from Poland. Who knows what's safe to eat anymore 🤷‍♂️

Why do European leaders LIKE their citizens and actually believe science, but half of our American leaders do not LIKE us and do not believe science?

I'm jealous. I want to live in a nation where our leaders LIKE us and don't see us merely as little blockades to profit margins. 380 million little blocks to maximizing profits! That's the American people.

Try some of those processed breaded faux chicken strips and patties.

I don't care what people say about processed foods, I like them. And never giving up chips.

Meatless Chick’n and Turk’y | Gardein

Those Ultimate ones have extra breading, calories and bad for you. Thank you Gardein!

My wife is vegetarian, I am not. I tried some of her foods. Some good, some not. It's interesting how companies try to imitate the taste of meat rather than go for their own taste sensation. I mean, are there really people wanting chickenless chicken? If so, what does that mean? Are they vegetarian, but crave the taste of actual chicken?

I like animals, but some of the taste really good. The fake stuff, not so much. IMO.

My wife is vegetarian, I am not. I tried some of her foods. Some good, some not. It's interesting how companies try to imitate the taste of meat rather than go for their own taste sensation. I mean, are there really people wanting chickenless chicken? If so, what does that mean? Are they vegetarian, but crave the taste of actual chicken?

I like animals, but some of the taste really good. The fake stuff, not so much. IMO.
I used to like hot dogs, I'd never eat them if not for the plant based ones now. And I think people do like that kind of stuff who don't eat meat. And why not, it's kind of that junk fix but without the meat and that works for me.

With how much of this chickenless chicken is being made and sold, I'd say the answer is yes, people want it. I don't like the burgers that are supposed to be so close to meat. I'd rather have a grain, veggie, bean burger.

I used to like hot dogs, I'd never eat them if not for the plant based ones now. And I think people do like that kind of stuff who don't eat meat. And why not, it's kind of that junk fix but without the meat and that works for me.

With how much of this chickenless chicken is being made and sold, I'd say the answer is yes, people want it. I don't like the burgers that are supposed to be so close to meat. I'd rather have a grain, veggie, bean burger.

I've nothing against vegetarian meals. When my wife and I went out for the night, we'd go to vegetarian restaurants because the options at the good places were too few. At the end of the day, it's food. Some food is good, some bad.

Still, while out, I much prefer to buy a vegetarian meal that isn't trying to imitate meat. I KNOW it's vegetarian, so who are they kidding, you know?

The food industry is really good at deceptive ads that supposedly indicate quality.
"Free range" means there's a door in the chicken coop, it does not mean they use it. The "range" can be as little as a six inch square. When people think of 'free range', they think of a chicken walking around a huge yard.
To me, this sounds more like a lawsuit filed by someone, who got a reaction to "NO antibiotics," but didn't read the fine print about sick chickens getting them.
I used to live near a free range place. Huge barn with yards outside it, all accessible through little chicken doors into the yards. Lived there for three years after they built that barn and I saw chickens outside perhaps four times. Apparently there are no regulations about how much time the birds are supposed to have access to the outdoors. But that farmer made a point of keeping the grass nicely mowed inside that chicken yard so .....

I've nothing against vegetarian meals. When my wife and I went out for the night, we'd go to vegetarian restaurants because the options at the good places were too few. At the end of the day, it's food. Some food is good, some bad.

Still, while out, I much prefer to buy a vegetarian meal that isn't trying to imitate meat. I KNOW it's vegetarian, so who are they kidding, you know?
People often wonder about that and here's the thing....most of the people who move to a whole food, plant based way of eating used to eat meat. We grew up with those flavours and textures and didn't give them up because we hated the taste, flavours and textures but for the sake of the animals or our health or for the planet. The products you're talking about are successful because they give an alternate option that reminds us of the things that were part of our past lives.

That's not to say that anyone should eat them constantly, but they make a nice change or they provide something familiar or an option when you're out and about that isn't another order of French fries or another iceberg salad with two cucumbers and a red onion slice.

I used to live near a free range place. Huge barn with yards outside it, all accessible through little chicken doors into the yards. Lived there for three years after they built that barn and I saw chickens outside perhaps four times. Apparently there are no regulations about how much time the birds are supposed to have access to the outdoors. But that farmer made a point of keeping the grass nicely mowed inside that chicken yard so .....
I saw a program about "free range". To legally use that term, the coops had to have a door to the outside. There's no regulation as to the size of the "range". Strangely, there were all these chickens crammed into this coop, and the door was open, but they stayed inside?????

People often wonder about that and here's the thing....most of the people who move to a whole food, plant based way of eating used to eat meat. We grew up with those flavours and textures and didn't give them up because we hated the taste, flavours and textures but for the sake of the animals or our health or for the planet. The products you're talking about are successful because they give an alternate option that reminds us of the things that were part of our past lives.

That's not to say that anyone should eat them constantly, but they make a nice change or they provide something familiar or an option when you're out and about that isn't another order of French fries or another iceberg salad with two cucumbers and a red onion slice.
Exactly. Every word in your post parallels my experience. All combined, per year I eat less than 10 lbs a year of vegan burgers, brats, cheeses, dairy products, etc.

I also consume roughly a couple of pounds of fish, same with cheese, plus a pound or two of butter (via cookies) and 2 dozen eggs (mostly in baked goods) per year. Other meats? Maybe once every few years if I'm traveling afar and try a few bites of a local specialty.

My aim is to stay 95% true to WFPB for health, environmental and animal caring reasons. The flexibility of occasional imitation meats and dairy, plus eating the real thing from time to time, helps a lot of us remain on course.

Good reply. I decided to give up on that little debate.

I haven't eaten meat for over 30 years and plant based for over 15. I stopped identifying as vegan because I'm overweight and had some bad experiences. I don't live on processed junk but I'm not giving it up either. I'm going shopping and I'm going to get some plant based cheese slices today.

And don't get me started on Smart Dogs. Love those things. And I believe chips are a food group. 😭

Good reply. I decided to give up on that little debate.

I haven't eaten meat for over 30 years and plant based for over 15. I stopped identifying as vegan because I'm overweight and had some bad experiences. I don't live on processed junk but I'm not giving it up either. I'm going shopping and I'm going to get some plant based cheese slices today.

And don't get me started on Smart Dogs. Love those things. And I believe chips are a food group. 😭
My son in law who doesn't eat meat or dairy has the same issues to deal with. My daughter is trying to restructure his eating habits for the sake of their little boy. Daddy has to present a good example so no, Fruit Loops do not do a body good!

I saw a program about "free range". To legally use that term, the coops had to have a door to the outside. There's no regulation as to the size of the "range". Strangely, there were all these chickens crammed into this coop, and the door was open, but they stayed inside?????
I think they become afraid because it's so unfamiliar to go outside. Isn't that the saddest thing.

"what does that say about the food chain?"

If you mean the food industry, to me, it says "bias-based marketing" and "financially-based regulatory decisions".

Aside from that, it blows my mind that a chicken farm that isn't paying for a mass-antibiotics program can sell its product for twice as much as the farm that does.

Never give the vegetarian or vegan stuff a thought. We tend to eat the same foods that we ate as kids in the late 30's-early 40's. When we eat at one of our kids home, they are vegan and we eat accordingly.
My wife is an excellent cook and has, over the years, tempered the fat intake, along with little salt. She also favors vegetables in her meals.
Having said that, we're 90 and 88, so our bodies have managed to survive on ordinary food that we grew up with. Don't think we'll be making any dietary changes unless "doctor ordered".

Back