Could dreams be real contact with people?

Rose65

I woke after very vivid clear dreams today. I had been talking to people and they seemed so real, I felt connection and as if I knew them.

It sounds silly, but could it be that in dreams we encounter other souls who still exist elsewhere? Perhaps who lived on earth and have passed on but they and their thoughts are still around on other levels.

When asleep we enter a different consciousness and let's face it, nobody really knows. Our minds have a whole mysterious ability.

I am reading science fiction at the moment and so am open to all kinds of possibilities - why not? As far as we know, humans are the only living beings possessed of imagination in which all things are possible.

What do you think dreams are? Just a 'defragging' of our daily life or something more?

I can't tell whether they serve a purpose, but I believe that we're at least mostly controlled during them so that we don't normally thrash around as we move around inside the dream.

I know that many of them end abruptly and I awaken from them just as something pivotal, good or bad, is on the cusp of taking place.

I don't recall mine in great detail, but I know they often have nothing to do with what's occurring in my life the previous day or days.

It does seem like an effort is being made to work something out, solve some problem, or accomplish something. Even when I first awaken and can remember the most, the people in the dream don't seem to be anyone that I know. I'm sure there are exceptions to that though.

So is it just a cascade of imagery spreading from a random spark of firing neurons? I have no idea.

Do you think we file away every moment of our lives? I think we do. If so, why?
Upon death our body ceases to work but I believe the soul is forever. So I wonder if all our memories are with our soul for eternity, to be re-lived maybe at any time. That could be why we are driven to do all we can here on earth. It may explain the hunger for reading that I and many people have, reading is experiencing a great deal in the imagination.

i have had dreams that seemed to be filing or mental housekeeping and have had others who seemed like more even items that i actually experience similar if not what i saw in dreams days later ......... actually avoided a real disaster by heeding what happened in dream.

i think some dreams i review in my mind ..............as maybe by combo of people in dreams sometimes co-workers from several jobs in different times so no way they ever met each other but they share a characteristic and i wait to see if i am about to encounter that again.... often two faced people i have experienced ...so any new people for a few days i as careful as to what i share etc. sort of a BS warning system.

I had a dilly of a dream last night. So weird, so out of left field, and I couldn't imagine what bizarre circumstances and bad decisions had gotten me into the stressful situation in the dream.

No.

The reason dreams seem as real as when we are awake, is because the oscillating standing wave electromagnetic brain waves which is how animal brains perceptually experience awareness, oscillates against the exact same neural system neurons and tissues (neural plasticity memory structures) while dreaming that it does when awake. What we experience with our senses is NOT what it seems. That is a reason I posted the current thread that show such clearly:

Edelstein's checkerboard... a non-AI perceptual illusion

Instead our brains are a synthetic external model of the external to body world that best represents what we creatures need to sense in order to live successfully ala survival of the fittest. And sometimes that internal model is very different from what our sense receptor neurons are actually sending towards our brains. Our brains are essentially "predicting machines", a combination of what our raw sense receptors send to the brain and what our brains expect from internal top down memory structures. Accordingly, our eyes only see a very limited range of the electromagnetic spectrum that is useful and we humans don't have the immense olfactory senses of dogs because of a lack of evolutionary advantages.

Last edited:
Dreams are definitely interesting, and mine seem to come in several varieties. In most of my dreams, I am myself, and there are people I actually know in real life (some still alive and some dead, like my parents ). In other dreams, I seem to be a different person and i am just watching the events unfold, and none of the people are anyone that I actually know or have even met.
In one of these dreams, I was an airplane pilot, and was flying some kind of an airplane with a huge (to me) cockpit and all kinds of buttons and lights and such, and talking on some kind of 2-way radio with other people who were also flying around in the same kind of airplanes. I think I was a man in that dream.

In most of my “regular” dreams, i am either moving in or out of a house, packing boxes from one house to another. There are several of these houses (I call them my Dream Houses) that show up in many dreams, and i will grumble to myself that this is the same house I was just moving out of a while back, and here I am moving into that house again.

Sometimes, part of me is aware that i am dreaming, and will talk to the dreaming self ( you can’t read that list because you are in a dream, silly), and other times, the dreams seem totally REAL.
Once, many years ago, we lived in a tiny house and had a Great Dane. I dreamed that we added on a special room for the dog. when I woke up the next morning, the first thing i did was go looking for the new Great Dane Room, and was SO disappointed when it was not actually there !

I agree generally with what dilletante wrote. I've also had some dreams that confirm what Jeni wrote.

Occasionally, I've had a dream that foretold something... with what seemed like thousand-to-one odds against that incident actually corresponding, by coincidence, to the content of the dream.

Last edited:
I recently read an article, don't remember too many details. But the author basically claimed that the state of consciousness between being awake and being asleep is not as great as we think it is. For example, when doing something like say driving a car, which becomes pretty automatic under normal circumstances, we are often daydreaming about something else. That is not all that different when lying in bed and daydreaming in that state where we are not quite asleep and not quite awake, according to the author.

Do you think we file away every moment of our lives? I think we do. If so, why?
Upon death our body ceases to work but I believe the soul is forever. So I wonder if all our memories are with our soul for eternity, to be re-lived maybe at any time. That could be why we are driven to do all we can here on earth. It may explain the hunger for reading that I and many people have, reading is experiencing a great deal in the imagination.
My college anatomy and biology classes taught that newborns don't have enough of a specific type of neuron to store every memory, only some, but that, by the time we're 18-months-old, the number of those neurons has increased more than 10-fold, and the number continues increasing at an astonishing rate when we're 3 to 6 years old.

More interesting - the type of neurons needed to recall memories varies from person to person. So, even though our memories are stored, some of us have better recall than others.

Anyway, my mother always said that some dreams are visits and messages from both the dead and living loved ones, and others are symbolic images and narratives that either predict future events or depict specific worries and stresses and other emotional baggage we try to ignore during the day.

Like, I was in my mid-20s when I told my mom I had an alarmingly vivid dream that my teeth felt really weird, and I kept rolling my tongue over them, and they felt more and more weird. Then they all came loose, and I leaned forward and started spitting them out into my hand several teeth at a time. Suddenly, a clean slit opened up in my palm, and the teeth fell into it, and though that looked very disturbing to me, I was ok with it.

My mom said the teeth symbolized my children. I was going through a divorce at the time and I was extremely worried the court wouldn't give me full custody of them....back then, it was rare for a father to be given custody of his kids. Plus, I knew being a single working dad would be a huge challenge, and I was worried I'd screw them up, but their mother had a drug and alcohol problem and they wouldn't have been safe with her.

Fortunately, Shelly didn't fight for custody. I'm sure that's the only reason the court decided I'd have them full-time.

Last edited:
My college anatomy and biology classes taught that newborns don't have enough of a specific type of neuron to store every memory, only some, but that, by the time we're 18-months-old, the number of those neurons has increased more than 10-fold, and the number continues increasing at an astonishing pace when we're 3 to 6 years old.

More interesting - the type of neurons needed to recall memories varies from person to person. So, even though our memories are stored, some of us have better recall than others.

Anyway, my mother always said that some dreams are visits and messages from both the dead and living loved ones, and others are symbolic images and narratives that either predict future events or depict specific worries and stresses and other emotional baggage we try to ignore during the day.

Like, I was in my mid-20s when I told my mom I had an alarmingly vivid dream that my teeth felt really weird, and I kept rolling my tongue over them, and they felt more and more weird. Then they all came loose, and I leaned forward and started spitting them out into my hand several teeth at a time. Suddenly, a clean slit opened up in my palm, and the teeth fell into it, and though that looked very disturbing to me, I was ok with it.

My mom said the teeth symbolized my children. I was going through a divorce at the time and I was extremely worried the court wouldn't give me full custody of them....back then, it was rare for a father to be given custody of his kids. Plus, I knew being a single working dad would be a huge challenge, and I was worried I'd screw them up, but their mother had a drug and alcohol problem and they wouldn't have been safe with her.

Fortunately, Shelly didn't fight for custody. I'm sure that's the only reason the court decided I'd have them full-time.
That is awful stress you endured. I hope things worked out in the end and that you are happy now.

That is awful stress you endured. I hope things worked out in the end and that you are happy now.
It worked out great. Sadly, my ex-wife died in a car wreck about 3 years after our divorce, but because the kids lived with me (and she only visited them sporadically), I think maybe her death was a little less traumatic than it could have been.

Also, they might have been in the car with her. 😱

When asleep we enter a different consciousness and let's face it, nobody really knows. Our minds have a whole mysterious ability.

I am reading science fiction at the moment and so am open to all kinds of possibilities - why not? As far as we know, humans are the only living beings possessed of imagination in which all things are possible.

I believe we all come from the same primordial consciousness and so ultimately share that connection. The One differentiates into the many and then lovingly steps back freeing each of the many to become a being in its own right. In the depths of our humanity lies the sacred.

But you’re right about the power of imagination. It isn’t just a means for making up amusing stuff. It is primarily a tool for feeling our way into an understanding of our full humanity for which science and reason alone are not sufficient.

As for your question: What do you think dreams are? Just a 'defragging' of our daily life or something more? I don't think it is just 'noise in the machine' but neither do I have the first clue what they are. I tend to think it is something deeper in us mulling over the events of the day within a wider context, possibly at an archetypal level

Last edited:
Rarely I have a dream with people I love that are gone and I wonder if they are visiting. I have had the same with dogs that have passed. For decades I had terrible nightmares but a few years ago they disappeared.

I woke after very vivid clear dreams today. I had been talking to people and they seemed so real, I felt connection and as if I knew them.

It sounds silly, but could it be that in dreams we encounter other souls who still exist elsewhere? Perhaps who lived on earth and have passed on but they and their thoughts are still around on other levels.

What do you think dreams are? Just a 'defragging' of our daily life or something more?
Yes dear! Departed souls from our own family get in touch with us while we're asleep. If you've seen the film with Bruce Willis "The Sixth Sense", the kid told him to speak to his wife when she slept, which he did.

That is how they communicate with us, if you're not already clairaudient, they'll reach you in your dreams. Blessed be!

I seldom dream about people. The exception was when, 40 years ago, my 18 year old daughter died in an accident. For the next year or so I dreamed about her, almost every night at first, and she would be in different stages of her life. Sometimes 18, sometimes 8, sometimes in between. And I had to keep explaining to her that she couldn't be there because she was dead. Horrible.

After a year or so I finally quit having those dreams. I don't think I was making contact with her in the afterlife, it was just me trying to process the loss.

Yes dear! Departed souls from our own family get in touch with us while we're asleep. If you've seen the film with Bruce Willis "The Sixth Sense", the kid told him to speak to his wife when she slept, which he did.

That is how they communicate with us, if you're not already clairaudient, they'll reach you in your dreams. Blessed be!
I did enjoy The Sixth Sense. I do believe all things are possible when we are dreaming or on the margin between sleep and wakefulness.

I believe we all come from the same primordial consciousness and so ultimately share that connection. The One differentiates into the many and then lovingly steps back freeing each of the many to become a being in its own right. In the depths of our humanity lies the sacred.

But you’re right about the power of imagination. It isn’t just a means for making up amusing stuff. It is primarily a tool for feeling our way into an understanding of our full humanity for which science and reason alone are not sufficient.

As for your question: What do you think dreams are? Just a 'defragging' of our daily life or something more? I don't think it is just 'noise in the machine' but neither do I have the first clue what they are. I tend to think it is something deeper in us mulling over the events of the day within a wider context, possibly at an archetypal level
Absolutely, we certainly are not just machines and science cannot possibly explain everything. We are spirits inside physical bodies. The spirit is surely eternal. It is very exciting to think where we are going next, that being in human bodies is but one step leading to other existences.

The spirit is surely eternal. It is very exciting to think where we are going next, that being in human bodies is but one step leading to other existences.

I think so too but I tend to think what makes a particular person is finished and what follows will enjoy the same blank slate we were given. That seems fitting to me. Being who I am will no longer be needed but existence will be passed on to the next crew. 😉

I think so too but I tend to think what makes a particular person is finished and what follows will enjoy the same blank slate we were given. That seems fitting to me. Being who I am will no longer be needed but existence will be passed on to the next crew. 😉
Interesting. I think we remain who we are, I hope so certainly, because that would be comforting.

Seems to me, personally, aside from dreams and my imagination romping through my memories for no real reason. in an other compartment/ dimension -call it what you will- but separate is "Jefe" spanish for boss...-- Jefe is the reason for warnings of danger etc, instincts intuition etc but also and most importantly, the what I refer to as the "gatekeeper" for another compartment/dimension (spirtual etc...) sooo, I try to make it known to Jefe that I am available for infusion of concepts etc--- Am I nuts? nope! but I do have extraordinary empathic powers that allow me to spot instantly-negativity danger etc...some others have it also...sort or the Sigma male type.....but, a gift that I value and has worked well for me.

Back