Did you move out of state after you retired?

I'm considering moving from Oregon to Texas. If you've moved to a different state after you retired, was it easier or more difficult than you expected. What issues did you encounter that others might benefit from knowing.
I moved back to my home state from Texas because my sister developed a stain of slow growing cancer ( gone now) but her MS progressed faster than we thought. I’m glad I’m here BUT I loved Texas!

I'm considering moving from Oregon to Texas. If you've moved to a different state after you retired, was it easier or more difficult than you expected. What issues did you encounter that others might benefit from knowing.
WE moved cross country 2 years ago. We would not buy until we found exactly what we wanted in a price range we could pay (was going to be our last home buy). We searched a few years and made a number of road trips.
We wanted no mortgage and few bills. I would say research cost of living, and tax cost for a location, as well as what you want. I started my search in North Maine found it to be too liberal (for me) and all pine trees wound up near lake Superior. Much better now only debt is a c card taxes, small electric bill, and internet. The winters can be cold and deep but the road crews are fantastic and we have no need to leave home unless we want to. We love it here we see wild turkey with their chicks, deer with their young in the spring, and all sorts of other wild life.
Find what is your dream for retirement living check cost and look until you find it.

It might as well have been a different state. I moved from Los Angeles to Ventura County. It got me away from all the LA political BS and homeless problem.
Ventura is the best kept secret om the South Central coast. People are so busy going from LA to Santa Barbara they miss us.

I moved from Sacramento California to SouthEast Wisconsin last year. After 59 years, I never did acclimate to the hot weather (among other things) so this climate suits me much better. I live in a condo where the snow is shoveled for me and the landscapers done for me so that’s wonderful. It’s so much more quiet and clean and safe here that my anxiety has gone down greatly. I don’t regret moving here. I do miss some of my old haunts in Sacramento though but I’m finding new ones here.

Cost in that map are insane... I'm between Lake Superior and Lake Michigan and due quit well on much less. Or maybe I am not understanding the map? Am bald but will scratch my head anyway.
Numbers by themselves mean nothing - it's all about context and methodology. So I spent five minutes looking at Net Credit's seriously flawed (for the US, at least) presumption. Glaringly, Social Security is neither discussed nor factored in.

The blog presumes retirement at 61 and life expectancy of 76.15 years old, netting a 15 year retirement. Also presupposes a one bedroom apt in city center, rather than a paid off home (which many have).

The map says a California retiree needs $804K to last that 15 years. OK, I'll play along.

Since overhead isn't double for two people living together, let's say that for two people it will cost 1.5 times that $804K, or $1.2 million to last 15 years.

Even assuming no COLA increases, DH & my SS will combine to cover nearly the full amount. Additional funds needed are well within our savings and investments. Voila! The map is now reassuring rather than startling.

https://www.netcredit.com/blog/cost-of-retirement/

In 1995 moved from cold northeast Penna. to live in southern Nv.

Wanted a 24/7 something to do place to live. Wanted diverse community, no senior complex. Wanted easy to maintain home. Wanted low humidity to forestall expected arthritis as we age.

Neighborhood as expected multi national & various ages. Bought a stucco exterior,tile roof, 3 bedroom rancher with two car garage. As they say it's hot here but it's a dry heat. That is what we wanted.

28 years into retirement. Nice neighbors, no arthritis & enjoying great health, something to do all the time, no state taxes on our income, Rancher makes window cleaning easy which isn't often & no exterior maintenance.

Unexpected pluses.
1. No tax on Soc. Sec.
2. No tax on other income.
3. 4 major domestic chain supermarkets
4. 3 major Latin supermarkets
5. 3 major oriental supermarkets.
6. Health care thru Medicare advantage plan working extremely well
7. Dental office within walking distance.
8. Total average utility cost per month about $350.00 Electric, gas, water, garbage pickup twice a week & sewage.
9. Homestead filed capping taxes on home to less that 1/3 of what the tax on our home in Penna. were

In 1995 moved from cold northeast Penna. to live in southern Nv.

Wanted a 24/7 something to do place to live. Wanted diverse community, no senior complex. Wanted easy to maintain home. Wanted low humidity to forestall expected arthritis as we age.

Neighborhood as expected multi national & various ages. Bought a stucco exterior,tile roof, 3 bedroom rancher with two car garage. As they say it's hot here but it's a dry heat. That is what we wanted.

28 years into retirement. Nice neighbors, no arthritis & enjoying great health, something to do all the time, no state taxes on our income, Rancher makes window cleaning easy which isn't often & no exterior maintenance.

Unexpected pluses.
1. No tax on Soc. Sec.
2. No tax on other income.
3. 4 major domestic chain supermarkets
4. 3 major Latin supermarkets
5. 3 major oriental supermarkets.
6. Health care thru Medicare advantage plan working extremely well
7. Dental office within walking distance.
8. Total average utility cost per month about $350.00 Electric, gas, water, garbage pickup twice a week & sewage.
9. Homestead filed capping taxes on home to less that 1/3 of what the tax on our home in Penna. were
An action plan that worked and still going...

While in the Marines, I was pushed all over the place, not just in the U.S. I finally settled on Virginia because I was offered a job in D.C. Now, I am ready to pack and make my last move and I think it's going to be to Pensacola. I'm young enough that starting over isn't going to be a big deal. I have a realtor hunting for that "perfect" place by the Gulf.

I tell any woman that I date now that I am contemplating a move to Pensacola, so in case they think they may want to hook up with me on a permanent basis as in getting married. I have never been married and have started thinking if I really would want to take that step.

I had a friend in the military that retired shortly before me and married and moved to Palm Beach, Florida. About 3 years later, the woman that married him killed him. She devised a plan to have him sign over all of his estate over to her in case anything happened to him, she would have an income and be able to live a good life. It took the police over a year to investigate his murder and arrested her and her boyfriend. Her trial last almost 3 weeks, nut the jury was out for less than a day before finding her guilty and the judge gave her life with a chance for parole after serving 25 years if she makes it that long. Her boyfriend decided to take a plea deal and pled guilty and got 25-life.

No. I considered moving to be nearer the kids but I know several people who have done that only to find that after selling their house, moving everything, all at great expense, the kids move again to another place. I like were I Live. The kids like to visit me there. So I am staying.

thanks to weather differences visiting each other is usually a nice experience for the visitor.

While in the Marines, I was pushed all over the place, not just in the U.S. I finally settled on Virginia because I was offered a job in D.C. Now, I am ready to pack and make my last move and I think it's going to be to Pensacola. I'm young enough that starting over isn't going to be a big deal. I have a realtor hunting for that "perfect" place by the Gulf.

I tell any woman that I date now that I am contemplating a move to Pensacola, so in case they think they may want to hook up with me on a permanent basis as in getting married. I have never been married and have started thinking if I really would want to take that step.

I had a friend in the military that retired shortly before me and married and moved to Palm Beach, Florida. About 3 years later, the woman that married him killed him. She devised a plan to have him sign over all of his estate over to her in case anything happened to him, she would have an income and be able to live a good life. It took the police over a year to investigate his murder and arrested her and her boyfriend. Her trial last almost 3 weeks, nut the jury was out for less than a day before finding her guilty and the judge gave her life with a chance for parole after serving 25 years if she makes it that long. Her boyfriend decided to take a plea deal and pled guilty and got 25-life.
OH My Goodness about your friend, so sorry. Glad they got them. That happening it makes you want to stay single. Just find a nice lady. Forget marriage unless you feel you are missing out. You can have a relationship, everything that goes with marriage...except the paperwork. Marriage is a step some people want to take, some don't want to take and some feel that step turned into tripping...lol. Good luck with your move.

I am still at the same place I have lived for several decades. My children have left the area because the cost of housing is to HIGH. VERY HIGH. OUTRAGEOUSLY HIGH! And, to be blunt, I am not a big fan of where they moved to live. But, the time will probably come when I will pull up roots and join them anyway. Family is everything. Today, I can hop on a plane and be at their front door within three hours. When I can’t do that anymore I will sell and move.

I have lived in a lot of states and areas within those states. Never really found the “perfect” place. If I had to right now make a decision of where I want to settle on for the rest of my life, I couldn’t. I found some good and some bad everywhere I lived.

Out of everywhere we have lived, we have found western part of South Carolina, central part of Tennessee and Northern Florida as the top three places to park our boots.

I will agree that medical care in Florida has a lot to be desired, but a few places are impressive. However, all around everything, I would settle for Tennessee as my first choice. Hawaii was nice, but it’s not perfect.

Hubby and I moved after he retired. We moved to be near our daughter and Granddaughter. Before moving we lived near our grandsons, but they had moved. So we took the opportunity to live near my daughter.

Back