Do Men Really Not Care if They're Liked?

I don't believe that.
Sort of a joke, a reference to Death of a Salesman. Willy Loman talks about people who are "liked, but not well-liked." I actually don't care that much about who does or doesn't like me, although I find my own company to be immensely enjoyable.

On the flip side....I like everbod, haters and all
Don't much care whether they like me or not

Folks are just so.....fascinating

The mean ones? I jus' wrestle 'em down, and give 'em a noogie

'Fore long, we're sippin' suds and talking favorite fishing holes

I'll give that much to them... they are fascinating. So are snakes, but that doesn't mean I want to spend much time around them. :ROFLMAO:

I bet they're taken aback when you give " 'em a noogie"(???)

I've heard of "boogie woogie" before, but no, definitely not a "noogie"!

Can't be a tickle can it? :)

Not me. Catch my eye and I'll wink or maybe even tickle her toes. I'm old, I've seen a lot, lived my share, and my warranty has long expired so I live it up.

The name's Reality. Virtual Reality.

Men do care if they're liked by people who they want to like them. But if it turns out that they don't, then I think most men no longer care how those people feel.

Amen.

I don't feel a burning need to be liked, but being liked is better than being hated. That said, if someone actively dislikes me, I don't spend a second worrying about it. I'll simply move on and treat them as they treat me.

Amen.

I don't feel a burning need to be liked, but being liked is better than being hated. That said, if someone actively dislikes me, I don't spend a second worrying about it. I'll simply move on and treat them as they treat me.
What if they treat you horribly?
Will you treat them horribly back or do you turn the other cheek?

Hm, what counts as "horribly"? I mean, if they damaged my property I'd confront them, and if that didn't work call the Police. If it's in, say a business setting, I'll have a meeting with them and iron out a way we can work together on a professional level without rancor (not be friends, but be civil).

Still, I take your point, there are limits. I'm not going to degrade myself just because someone else has no self-control. There's a point when simply ignoring them is the only way forward.

If we're talking verbal horribleness, I can just walk away and forget about it. We're not going to have a conversation of any sort.

If someone I have a relationship with suddenly treats me horribly, we no longer have a relationship.

I don't need revenge or a teaching moment, only distance.

I’m wasn’t talkin’ verbally assaulted.
A physical assault, then?

My response to a physical assault depends on whether or not I know this person. I would defend myself in either case, but the force I'd employ would vary. I carry a firearm but I wouldn't use it on my grandson, for example. I'd try to reason with a close relative or long-time friend, and if that got me nowhere, I'd decide between fight or flight. And there'd be no contact forever after.

If you're talking social horribleness, like treating me horribly among friends or in public places, forget about it. Without a word from me, that person's history...out of my life. I don't waste words on arseholes.

Back