Do you believe every full-time worker deserves a living wage?

Living wage is different to whom ever we ask. I can live on XYZ amount just fine, whereas others might well say ..... is that all I get !?

I believe we have a right to be paid whatever the job pays. And what ever that happens too be , we must / should learn to live on it.

Living wage is different to whom ever we ask.
Absolutely đź’Ż accurate, @rgp . True story... I heard with my own ears at a party, someone saying "they're not paying me a living wage... I can't afford payments on my cabin cruiser and Harley any longer." :rolleyes: MY "living wage" my whole life was always enough for food, housing, utilities, personal and household items, and a nice amount for "fun." Always made sure to remember the savings account as well. I never even considered going into deep debt for boats, sport cars, etc. and if I had, it would have been from earning a higher wage and not considered a necessity for living.

Define living wage? Bet you cannot without many others disagreeing with you. We already require minimum wage in most jobs...that's as good as it gets. Even minimum wage, where it applies cannot be agreed upon by most....

In a free market nothing should be guaranteed, let the market set the wage! If you don't pay people, enough you will not be able to get people to work for you.

Define living wage? Bet you cannot without many others disagreeing with you. We already require minimum wage in most jobs...that's as good as it gets. Even minimum wage, where it applies cannot be agreed upon by most....

In a free market nothing should be guaranteed, let the market set the wage! If you don't pay people, enough you will not be able to get people to work for you.
which is what happens here.

We have millions on the dole because they get more in benefits than they do working for a living. Not everyone of course, but a huge swathe of the population find that by getting benefits, they get their rent paid, as well as many other benefits.. free child lunches at school for example.. and many more free or heavily discounted things.... Not that benefits are enorous in most cases, but they are better than minimum wage...for all but single people with no dependants.

Holly, that is the problem, we have that also! If you provide a comfortable welfare program, then you will always have those who prefer not to work and take the welfare.

I don't believe in a free market system without some type of welfare backup. People that mentally or physically cannot work should have ample programs and welfare money so they can live productively and not be in poverty.

On the other hand, people who are fully capable of working but choose not too should be required to work, any welfare available to them should only be enough to not let them starve and provide only group homes with beds for them to avoid freezing. We as a society always have some work that anyone can do, if they can work, they should be required to do so!

The term "deserve" is an emotional trigger that suggests worthiness, to be rewarded, etc. Some people work 3 jobs and are happy with that lifestyle, and flexibility. More young people are seeking jobs that they enjoy, whereas people born in the post WW2 generations sought long lasting careers, and stability . I worked for decades in a career that I didn't always 'enjoy', but I deferred my expectations to after retirement. Many following that type of path end up with stress related health problems, and as such missed out on enjoying a large part of their life.

If I had it to do over again, I think I would trade a bit of stability for "following my heart and chasing my dreams".

Yes, they should. A living wage means you can own your own home and car and send your kids to college all on your salary at your full time job whatever it is. That, at least, was the American dream when I was young and I'll bet it's still the same no matter how many people ask for exact definitions of living wage. You know what it means.

I can't tell you the low wages I lived on. However, rents were cheaper then. I spent less than $2.50 at the thrift store yesterday and I'm happy with getting myself something.

I remember someone saying on a program once, if someone spends $50.00 on a clothing item, that amount is more to some people than others.

There will always be people needed to do menial jobs. I did them for years and years. I think there should be a minimum wage of course but how high should fast food workers be paid? And does better pay get shot down by a corporation needing more profit?

If I don't find a decent place to live pretty soon, I'm worried about myself. I'm doing OK but I'm really watching my money.

My calico has a vet appointment next month. $$$

@Nathan My stepfather worked for and retired from the county. He did not have any easy job. Road work and then got the foreman position. With those insane pacific coast storms, we'd go days without seeing him. However, he doesn't understand I work for a money hungry corporation and what that means.

Yes, they should. A living wage means you can own your own home and car and send your kids to college all on your salary at your full time job whatever it is. That, at least, was the American dream when I was young and I'll bet it's still the same no matter how many people ask for exact definitions of living wage. You know what it means.
I agree to some extent Chic, but there's a disparity straight away between countries..or even cities within the US and the UK and and Canada, Australia etc... where some people would need to earn enough to buy and run a reliable vehicle to get them to work etc... because there is no public transport. Whereas in the larger town and cities... there is plenty public transport.. so it wouldn't be necessary to earn enough to buy a vehicle..

All I can say is what a bunch of self involved whiners to actually believe life owes you anything you did not get out and hustle for. Seriously, minimum wage jobs were never meant to be a lifestyle, just a jumping off place to work your way into something better. They were never meant to be a sole support.

Back