Do you join in your local community?

My wife and I are members of the local rail-trail society. This has to do with retired reailroad beds (tracks removed) converted into pedestrian, horseback riding, and (in winter) cross-country ski trails. Also, I'm on the board of a local group testing water quality and monitoring biotic life in our river. It also does hands-on conservation & restoration work for wildlife (fish, amphibians, birds) in riparian & wetlands.

Last edited:
My wife and I are members of the local rail-trail society. This has to do with retired reailroads (tracks removed) converted into pedestrian, horseback riding, and (in winter) cross-country ski trails.
These are becoming a thing, albeit not a big thing, but are popular recreational assets when they occur. I rode my bike on one that wound it's way through the Palouse Hills between Pullman, Washington and Moscow, Idaho. They are two college towns 10 miles apart. This one is paved, so I don't think horses were allowed, but I encountered other bikers, people on roller blades, women pushing their baby buggies, and of course joggers and walkers. I've heard of other abandoned right of ways that have become popular too.

Brunch...sigh...one of my favorite things.

images
Yum!!

Growing up, my parents were in over dozens of associations, groups and all. I was involved in the making of preparations, foods, beverages, passing with various hors-d'oeuvres. It was a great time to listen and learn. Those years were very educational.

I was part of 3 major local groups: a cultural heritage dance recital; a majorettes group as baton twirler and 3 choirs.

After the massive expropriation of a large area downtown, the church (burned down) and both community centres were closed and demolished. Loads of groups disappeared overnight.

The new area where most of us relocated were hostiles as they'd disapproved of the government taking over and destroying downtown, where years of retail industries were killed off. So, it took a while.

However, certain activities were created but even though a lot of us joined in, it was always us versus them, aka opposite clans. Sad!

Beginning of married life, we lived in a sleeper town. Not much going on but one pub. Friday nights were good. After our children were born, we noticed a lack of activity groups, that was tough.

Once we moved away and began contract works, we were never in one place long enough.

All this palava is behind now. So daughter and I share her Avon group, the local swimming place is great for chats about what's going on around town. Then we've a group in neighbouring town for sports, superb bunch of friends there. The next major town, there's two groups.

As Autumn is upon us, most clubs are winding down for season, so it'll be very quiet, once more.

I just put in an application to volunteer at a local cat sanctuary/adoption center. They trap and take in feral cats from the in city park. If adoptable, they can be adopted but the unadoptables stay for life.

The coordinator e mailed me and will call me tomorrow. I think it's just a few hours 2-4 days a month. I can do weekly. So I'll see how the conversation goes. One of the volunteers at PAWS thrift store does socialization there but says the cleaning is too much for her. She's over 70 I'm sure. I can clean boxes, bowls and mop. That's fine.

Yes this is the hall where we do most of our dancing ,( it’s a local community club ) we also take part in other activities through the same club ( fund raising events )

it costs us $10 a year to be a member and by being a member it costs us $2 each to attended a dance
from 12 noon to 4.30 pm and the cost includes afternoon tea
taken with my iphone 12 (not edited apart from smudging faces for privacy reasons )

I’m not even sure if it’s legal To post photos online taken without a persons permission is OK or not ?

IMG_5120.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes this is the hall where we do most of our dancing ,( it’s a local community club ) we also take part in other activities through the same club ( fund raising events )

it costs us $10 a year to be a member and by being a member it costs us $2 each to attended a dance
from 12 noon to 4.30 pm and the cost includes afternoon tea
taken with my iphone 12 (not edited apart from smudging faces for privacy reasons )

I’m not even sure if it’s legal To post photos online taken without a persons permission is OK or not ?

View attachment 304115
How nice; wish we had stuff like that around here.

After having lived in our small town for over twenty years, there had been many changes in ownership, and new houses had been built. I hardly knew anyone anymore. So, I organized a Neighborhood Watch in 2005 for 36 houses around me. I knocked on every door, explained what I am trying to do, and each and everyone cooperated. We met monthly with perhaps one-third of the houses represented, rotating who would host the meetings that were always attended by a sheriff deputy who made a presentation.

I wrote and distributed a list with everyones name, street and email address, and how long they have been living in our neighborhood. One of our achievements was to erect Neighborhood Watch signs for which almost everyone chipped in. We filed a petition with our County District Supervisor to have a dirt road paved. I always distributed minutes of every meeting by email. But after about a year, attendance declined because there were usually not many news items to discuss. Neighbors were also too busy to come just for social purposes. So, after 1 1/2 years, the monthly meetings discontinued.

Nevertheless, for almost twenty years I have kept everyone in touch with each other with irregular emails of neighborhood news and property changes. This inspired one neighbor, for example, to organize annual street clean-up parties. On my daily walks with my dogs, I always chat with neighbors. I am glad I did because I am no longer feel like a stranger in my neighborhood, but by knowing everyone I am feeling so much more comfortable where I am living. I do not try to be everyone's friend, but I am glad I can at least greet all neighbors by name.

Last edited:
After having lived in our small town for over twenty years, there had been many changes in ownership, and new houses had been built. I hardly knew anyone anymore. So, I organized a Neighborhood Watch in 2005 for 36 houses around me. I knocked on every door, explained what I am trying to do, and each and everyone cooperated. We met monthly with perhaps one-third of the houses represented, rotating who would host the meetings that were always attended by a sheriff deputy who made a presentation.

I wrote and distributed a list with everyones name, street and email address, and how long they have been living in our neighborhood. One of our achievements was to erect Neighborhood Watch signs for which almost everyone chipped in. We filed a petition with our County District Supervisor to have a dirt road paved. I always distributed minutes of every meeting by email. But after about a year, attendance declined because there were usually not many news items to discuss. Neighbors were also too busy to come just for social purposes. So, after 1 1/2 years, the monthly meetings discontinued.

Nevertheless, for almost twenty years I have kept everyone in touch with each other with irregular emails of neighborhood news and property changes. This inspired one neighbor, for example, to organize annual street clean-up parties. On my daily walks with my dogs, I always chat with neighbors. I am glad I did because I am no longer feel like a stranger in my neighborhood, but by knowing everyone I am feeling so much more comfortable where I am living. I do not try to be everyone's friend, but I am glad I can at least greet all neighbors by name.
Shortly after we moved into this neighborhood (which was newly built and consists of 42 homes), a neighbor on the next street over tried to organize a combination neighborhood yard sale/barbeque. She let it be known that she would do most of the work, she'd pay for and place the ad for the yard sale in the local paper, she and her husband would hold the bbq at their house, they'd provide all the meat to be bbq'd, she provide the actual bbq's for the meat to be cooked on, and her only request was for people to let her know if they wanted to participate or not and what side dish they'd bring for the bbq.

Welp, she said I was the only one who even responded to her at all. She said that almost all of the other neighbors saw her coming to the door but wouldn't even answer the door. So she put the nice flyer she'd made up explaining everything in their mailboxes but never heard a thing back from anyone but me; so in disgust she and her huzz went ahead with the yard sale and cancelled the bbq. She said she'd never try any kind of socializing ever again in this neighborhood ever again.

This is a small town, mostly rural suburban neighborhood; it was the same way in the big city area I grew up in. Friendly neighborhoods and neighbors are just a total fantasy to me.

I just put in an application to volunteer at a local cat sanctuary/adoption center. They trap and take in feral cats from the in city park. If adoptable, they can be adopted but the unadoptables stay for life.

The coordinator e mailed me and will call me tomorrow. I think it's just a few hours 2-4 days a month. I can do weekly. So I'll see how the conversation goes. One of the volunteers at PAWS thrift store does socialization there but says the cleaning is too much for her. She's over 70 I'm sure. I can clean boxes, bowls and mop. That's fine.
That's wonderful of you to volunteer in that way! I've worked with feral cats for many years and it can be very rewarding. In fact all 4 of my cats are ferals that I took in. I hope it goes well for you.

Wife and I have been with a quite large, environmental group for decades. We have a relatively small time, far suburbs of Chicago, but we have a lot of people interested in various aspects of environmentalism. We primarily do recycling drives, but the organization has two used bookstores (all volunteers and donated books), that bring in a steady income. We also hold a couple of 'use-it-again' sales where we sell donated items from all over the county (again, manned by volunteers). We also advocate for open space, work on cleaning up various nature areas,have banned plastic one-use bags from the stores, have advocates that lobby the city council and have managed to build several solar farms, and have been able to get a lot of businesses to recycle.

We had a very active community theatre group in my home town. If you couldn't sing or dance maybe you could paint scenery or work on publicity. It's amazing the variety of town folk who participated. My late husband was also a great organizer both in his job and in the community. He could spot a need and tap the right person to head up a group. I am much less of an extrovert but but still enjoy being part of a worthwhile effort.

I was a VP for the HOA for more than 10 years, My area had 110 homes and knocking on doors and collecting dues became troublesome because of the rocky terrain on some streets. Then I did the newsletter for another ten or so. I had help. About six people submitted news from the county, current events, milestones, beautification, etc. A local realtor took a full page ad which helped offset the cost of printing. Then we switched to an online web site which has never completely caught on.

I'm not one to join groups or organizations, but I'm a member of our Neighborhood Watch.

We're a "safe house" - a house the neighborhood kids can run to if they have a stranger-danger moment, if their parents are late getting home from work, if they're being bullied on their way to or from school...stuff like that.

We have a sign in our front yard and on the front window.

We've only had 2 kids come over when the big sister couldn't find her house key. Both their parents work. My job was to call their mom and let her know they'd be at my place when she got home. I helped big sister with her homework and then we fed the homeless cats and sat outside and had snacks til Mom got there.

I would never live in a HOA ever hate them bad, that was one of the 1st things I asked before we built this house!
Ours is not mandatory so only about a third of residents participate. None of those horror stories about being driven out because of the wrong color shutters. It is good natured and supportive. We had a National Night Out block party last Tuesday with fire fighters and police.

No. I used to get more involved in politics but these days health (for real, not an excuse) has me largely homebound. I'm friendly with neighbors but don't know but a few of them well but I always preferred a handful of close friends to a large circle of acquaintances and really have maintained that all my life. My social life, however, is now mostly online due to being largely homebound due to my health.

I am so over the politics. They were largely dropped in disgust one by one decades ago when their feet of clay made an appearance. Turns out George Carlin was right. The older I get the more I think far right and far left are just flip sides of the same tyrannical coin - a lot of noisy people who just want to tell everyone else how to live which I find odd in a country that values freedom.

Back