Do you know where you're going to be buried ?

We bought a niche a few years ago in a Mausoleum in the cemetery. where most of hubby relatives are..Paid for opening & closing & paid for our names on the marble.Have bought our urns.Have not paid for the cremation.Runs for about 1,000. here now.

The section in the Will asking if you want to be buried or cremated. I ticked cremated.
I've told my daughter she can just chuck it all in the skip.
It's not important to me, as long as she holds me in her heart I don't care.

(However, on quick reflection at this moment in time, spreading my ashes on a mountain, high hill or deep in a forest is ok :))

My husband bought a double plot next to my parents' grave. He is now buried there but I want to be cremated so my ashes will have to be scattered in his grave. A friend of mine's husband bought a section in a mausoleum where he will be interned expecting his wife to follow suit. She didn't want to do that, but he made her feel so guilty she has agreed, she told me she will be buried in a 'filing cabinet'.

I've made no plans for anything yet. I read once about a research place that put bodies (of people who had specified that their bodies could be used for research after they died) out in the open (and/or shallow graves etc) to study things like animal scatter of bodies, decomposition behavior, etc. Presumably info useful when old remains found out in the woods or something. I wouldn't mind something like that or for medical research / medical student practice. Probably my daughter would like a spot close to where she lives so she could 'visit' me (she's the sentimental type).

At Sea! That way, I would be on a perpetual cruise! Daughter fully understands that my remains are to be cremated. If I'm on a round trip cruise from the US and pass away, the cruise line can simply store the body in the morgue until return. If it's an open jaw cruise, they would drop it at the next port of call. I always buy comprehensive cruise insurance which includes repatriation of remains.

Last edited:
A friend of mine has donated her body to the university for medical research. After they have finished with the body it will be cremated and left to the family
My understanding is that this works if the person passes away and the body is handled promptly where it would be preserved (freezer). If the person lived alone and the body starts decomposing before discovery, it is not of much use to the university for research.

I bought four plots that were once the walkway next to the plots of my great grandparents and grandparents on moms side, I will be cremated and buried at the feet of my grandfather. I think it is important to have a headstone so the great grandkids can see their ancestry. I am working on the wording for my headstone. I am leaning towards
Arrived October 8, 1954
Transcended December 11, 2063
WOW what a ride!

It makes me smile when people say that it doesn't matter where the body goes... it's more important where the Soul goes... how do we know there is such a thing as a Soul after death ?... that it in fact goes anywhere ?... we've really swallowed this mantra without any evidence

At Sea! That way, I would be on a perpetual cruise!

That's a great idea! If not sealed up presumably the body would quickly decompose and then a person would literally be swimming with the fishes. Or, if encased securely in strong metal (that would not implode like that sad little submarine did), a person could spend a few hundred million years traveling along the bottom, then get sucked down into the mantle and spend the next several hundred million years on a journey toward the center of the earth. How cool is that?!

I am being cremated and my ashes will be at the property in north Idaho where my mom and dad lived when I was born. My son has set aside an area as kind of a family plot where any of us that are cremated can have our ashes buried under the pine trees out in the back of the property.
Since ashes can be anywhere, unlike a regular cemetary, which has to be designated as such for burial, this is a simple thing for him to do, and he has already told his family that this is where he wants to be buried also.

When their dad died two years ago, everyone wanted to put the ashes out under the pine trees, and it just seemed like a good idea to have a designated place for that , and I am really happy that this is where my ashes will go. To me, it is a link back to my family and childhood.

IMG_5519.jpeg

Back