Do you like being asked to donate to charities at checkout counters in stores?

A thread by hollydolly touched on this question. Do you like being asked to donate to charities at checkout counters in stores?
I don't. First, I don't know much about the charity- sometimes I never heard of them. I resent standing there saying "no", I won't support veteran charities, or diseased kids, etc. Now, when I renew my car registration, there's a whole list of charities, which you have to answer each one, before you can get to renew your registration.
Plus, I wonder if the companies doing this, are just writing most of it off their taxes.
Bah, humbug.

No way do I want to be asked to support causes that I may or not agree with. I want to investigate whomever I’m donating to. In Canada for tax purposes, we need proof that we donated. I don’t to help the Big Store have to large charitable number for their own promotions.

A thread by hollydolly touched on this question. Do you like being asked to donate to charities at checkout counters in stores?
I don't. First, I don't know much about the charity- sometimes I never heard of them. I resent standing there saying "no", I won't support veteran charities, or diseased kids, etc. Now, when I renew my car registration, there's a whole list of charities, which you have to answer each one, before you can get to renew your registration.
Plus, I wonder if the companies doing this, are just writing most of it off their taxes.
Bah, humbug.
I don't like it, but there are times I agree to do it if I recognize the charity and find them reputable. I prefer to just donate to who I want, when I want, in the privacy of my own home. I get a lot of mail wanting me to donate to various organizations, but I throw it out. I make several monthly donations, and some throughout the year when I want to. I have no problem saying no at the checkout.

NO!

There are sometimes 3 or 4 people trying to get
shoppers to donate to some charity, they are all
very nice people, but I found out many years ago,
that the companies that do this, don't pay any money
to the charity, for 12 - 13 months after they sign up
a person for regular donations.

Mike.

The “do you want to donate” solicitations at checkouts seem to run in cycles in my area, becoming bothersome towards the height of such. If I hit the same store more than once a week, I don’t want to donate twice in that time interval. I’ll donate a dollar to a children’s charity or “round up” my purchase, sure. If they want me to donate $10 for a food box, they’ll get a polite refusal as I try to stay within my budget. The “no thanks” buttons for charitable donations appearing upon rendering payment electronically make it easier on me and the cashier. No one should feel pressured or made to feel uncomfortable over donations…

If a checkout machine is asking for donations it's easy to just hit "no", but I have a problem with charity tables set up outside the store's entrance with someone asking for donations on your way in and your way out. When I've said "no thanks" to these people I've gotten a variety of responses, some of which make me want to turn around and flip their tables upside down.

I feel sorry for the checkout girl when they have to ask. I guess it's also a little harder to turn down a beggar when you are face to face, so it's more uncomfortable than getting junk mail.
Very good point about the clerks being required to ask. They probably hate having to do it.

I usually donate or round up but I don't like being put on the spot and frequently not knowing anything about the organization I'm giving to. I sometimes wonder when companies advertise the large sums of money they donate to charity if that includes the money donated by us customers.

Back