Escaped army horses run amok in central London

yes it was pretty horrific.... one poor terrified horse was covered in blood after colliding with a car and a bus...

Five Household Cavalry horses, including one soaked with blood, ran loose in central London after they were 'spooked by the noise of builders moving concrete'.

Five people, including three soldiers riding on the horses, were injured in three separate incidents during the six-mile rampage on Wednesday that lasted two hours.

This morning, six soldiers and seven horses from the Life Guards were on an extended Watering Order, an exercise to keep up the fitness of animals not involved in the public-facing King's Life Guard duties.

As they passed through Wilton Crescent in Belgravia at 8.40am, it is believed builders were using a travelator with concrete when some of the concrete came off and hit the floor, causing a noise.

This is thought to have caused the horses to spook. Five bolted and two remained in place. Four soldiers were unseated and three were injured and taken to hospital. None are in a life-threatening condition.

However, onlookers said one of the Household Cavalry soldiers was left 'screaming in pain' after he was thrown from his horse when it struck a car by the Clermont Hotel on Buckingham Palace Road, Victoria.

The horses rampaged for six miles before they were finally caught in Limehouse, east London. The injured horses saw a vet and all of the animals are now back at the Army's camp.
84023985-13344191-image-a-40_1713950135035.jpg

84024597-13344191-The_distressed_animals_are_now_waiting_to_be_picked_up_by_the_Ar-a-47_1713950320789.jpg

84025091-13344191-image-m-57_1713952193400.jpg

84025093-13344191-image-m-62_1713952466111.jpg

Household Cavalry horses 'spooked by builders moving concrete'

I'm sorry about the horses & the riders.

From dealing with horses it, sounds like the riders weren't very aware of their what was going on with them or around them.

The horses ears should have given the riders awake up call.
Next they probably didn't want to be near Noise,, shying away from it or just not moving.
The riders are the Palaces' Life Guards they're qualified riders.....

I saw part of that on the news, scary stuff. I do feel bad for the horses and all the people involved.

Years ago I was walking my dogs on a back trail at a large open space off leash dog park. There was a horse stable nearby, and some people would rent horses and walk them through the park.

We were alone on that trail area when I saw this horse without a rider come running towards us at full speed. I grabbed one of my dogs by the collar and pulled her off and away from the narrow dirt trail where the horse was coming.

It ran past us without incident, thankfully. but I was pretty shaken and happy we didn't get hurt. When I got back to an area with some people, they said a big dog attacked the horse and that's what sent him running. I'm sure a lot of those riders had no real experience at all.

I saw a horse get spooked by the dogs, and the dogs were not threatening the horse or very near him, but the horse threw the rider and took off running. It happened in a lower area at the water stream and I was on higher ground with my dogs, luckily the horse didn't come near us.

I'm aware that those riders have to be trained for what they do.
Some one slipped up.
Perhaps the horses should have been exercised more in the paddock Before going on the road?
No you misunderstand the 150 horses are taken out every morning, by the household Cavalry and exercised on the road to ensure they don't get frightened by the traffic etc. This morning was a one-off where 6 horses were spooked by some very loud noises and took off...

Click on this link and you will hear and see a Video from a member of the Household Cavalry , as to what happened..
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

Back