Federal, State Taxes sent

I needed an extension. What a debacle.
Been there, done that several times in the past. Now since they raised the limit owed to $1,000 & my taxes have been reduced I find it much easier to shoot for limit & pay them in one lump before Apr 15. Make a little interest through the year and pay no underpayment or late fees. When I did taxes for others, I never figured out why anyone would let the government use their money for free, just so they got a bigger refund.

Last edited:
Did mine a few weeks ago by myself. I've always done mine since the beginning. From time to time there have been small online filing fees but I haven't even paid those in a very long time.

I've always done my own taxes, I'm poor and don't own anything. This year I'm struggling to come up with a reason to file. I certainly don't owe any taxes. So why do I keep bothering?
The only reason I could think of would be for something tied to your last years AGI, go ahead and file. Example the covid checks were tied to previous year's taxes somewhat. You could do like my BIL would do, He'd just send his W-2 to the IRS with a note that he couldn't even come close, send me what's left. Bad advice, but he did it for several years.

Last edited:
I've done my/our own taxes since I was 18... for some reason I procrastinated horribly this year, but they'll be sent out tomorrow or Saturday. Yeah, and I do it the old fashioned way... paper and pen and stamp on envelope. I tried online a few years and except for one of those times, it was a nightmare. I want to SEE what's being done for the calculations and I can only do that by doing it myself.

I do my own too. Used to do them by hand. I remember the one year I took them to an accountant, he was astonished that I had done the previous year by myself because that year, the IRS made things particularly complicated (can't remember why). But I do remember that doing taxes that year was mind boggling. I never used that or any other accountant again. I picked up my taxes to be mailed in a hurry and realized later that he had fudged some medical bills that I did not tell him to do. I was on edge for quite a while about possibly being audited.

I started using H & R Block Tax Cut over a decade ago. It's so much easier, don't have to deal with mailing things with sensitive information. I finished my returns about a month ago.

There are many free Efile options out there. The one I use files the Fed for free but charges for the state. 1040 form, not 1040EZ, but it's still free.

The accounting firm we use for our business (partnership of DH & me) prepares our taxes. This year we had to pay an additional $3500-ish beyond our 2023 quarterly estimated tax remittances.

For 2024, we're bumping each quarterly tax remittance by $750 so we should be roughly square with the IRS next April. If we don't do so, we'll be hit with an underpayment penalty - and interest on that penalty - next April.

I've done my/our own taxes since I was 18... for some reason I procrastinated horribly this year, but they'll be sent out tomorrow or Saturday. Yeah, and I do it the old fashioned way... paper and pen and stamp on envelope. I tried online a few years and except for one of those times, it was a nightmare. I want to SEE what's being done for the calculations and I can only do that by doing it myself.
I thought the IRS stopped accepting (paper) filings ?

I know I never get the forms in the mail any longer . State or Fed.

I don't get them in the mail and they're no longer available at the library or post office like in years past... but they definitely accept them. I download the 1040 from irs.gov, print it, and the mailing instructions are there.

I get the Federal paper forms (and instructions) at the local library.

My state sends the paper forms/instructions by mail.

We receive paper documents from our accountant to sign and return with our payment. I believe they submit electronic versions to the feds and state - not sure how they submit our payments. Presumably they mail them with some form or another.

There's always a form when the government is involved.

The IRS will still accept paper returns. That's never going to end, I don't think. It's a Federal crime to steal mail but no crime (yet) to hack into systems and rewrite tax returns.

What are we doing, as a nation, to not make destructive hacking a Federal crime?

Back