Gardening for nature, walks with my dogs and the books I’m reading.

MarkD

Keeper of the Hounds & Garden
I’m feeling inspired by #Gary's diary about building his cabin in retirement to share what I’m doing in retirement.

Until the pandemic hit working out at the YMCA was a big part of retirement and made a huge difference in how I felt. Even before that I decided to lose the extra weight I’d put on as the teaching I used to love became more stressful and less fulfilling after No Child Left Behind. I lost more than 20 pounds as part of a New Year’s resolution in my first year of retirement seven years ago. I joined a Healthy Eating class at Kaiser which met ten times, once a week. I did another class in the fall and one last one the following January losing 50 pounds in all. But quitting the Y has resulted in gaining back 15.

Anyhow the best parts of retirement has been more time to develop my garden, walk my dogs and read great books.

Here are a couple of plot plans I once made of my garden before it was as finished as it is now. (No garden is ever truly finished.) I didn’t make a plan at the beginning and then stick with it. The garden and my vision for it evolved together unhurriedly.

I started making the back garden soon after I started teaching, more than thirty years ago. Our back fence abuts a city park to the east. To the south is a community orchard and on the north a year around creek separates our parcel from our neighbor. Our place is a a little cracker box of a warehouse, 40 by 80 feet situated in the southwest corner of our 100 feet wide by 120 feet deep lot. It isn’t large by rural standards but is unusually large by suburban standards and we have far more open ground than neighboring commercial buildings.

1669918152595.jpeg

The second one is centered on the back garden and the first drawing, showing the side garden m, has been rotated 90 degrees from its orientation in the other drawing.

1669918072993.jpeg

To give you a feel for it now here is a short video I took two years ago walking out the side doors, heading out to the back garden as far as to the pond where a hummingbird working over a red flowering Salvia wagneriana and a mostly orange colored Lobelia aguana seemed like a natural place to end it.

Last edited:
Ooh the garden is Glorious, Mark... just what I;d like my own garden to be like..I even saw a hummingbird I think...wow , such a beautiful place in Suburbia
Well my neighborhood leaves something to be desired. The best I’ve heard it called is seedy. But it has improved and having the park nearby makes illicit ball work with the dogs early mornings easy.

You’re very kind. My garden was inspired by one I saw a long time ago made by a guy with tons and tons of concrete poured to look like the exfoliated granite in his favorite hiking and camping areas in the Sierras around Yosemite. But his plant palette was unapologetically exotic and the effect made me want to make a garden too, a Pseudonatural paradise laid out to entice birds, butterflies and beneficials.

https://harlandhandgarden.com/

I’m feeling inspired by #Gary's diary about building his cabin in retirement to share what I’m doing in retirement.

Until the pandemic hit working out at the YMCA was a big part of retirement and made a huge difference in how I felt. Even before that I decided to lose the extra weight I’d put on as the teaching I used to love became more stressful and less fulfilling after No Child Left Behind. I lost more than 20 pounds as part of a New Year’s resolution in my first year of retirement seven years ago. I joined a Healthy Eating class at Kaiser which met ten times, once a week. I did another class in the fall and one last one the following January losing 50 pounds in all. But quitting the Y has resulted in gaining back 15.

Anyhow the best parts of retirement has been more time to develop my garden, walk my dogs and read great books.

Here are a couple of plot plans I once made of my garden before it was as finished as it is now. (No garden is ever truly finished.) I didn’t make a plan at the beginning and then stick with it. The garden and my vision for it evolved together unhurriedly.

I started making the back garden soon after I started teaching more than thirty years ago. Our back fence abuts a city park to the east. To the south is a community orchard and on the north a year around creek separates our parcel from our neighbor. Our place is a a little cracker box of a warehouse, 40 by 80 feet situated in the southwest corner of our 100 feet wide by 120 feet deep lot. It isn’t large by rural standards but is unusually large by suburban standards and we have far more open ground than neighboring commercial buildings.

View attachment 253293

The second one is centered on the back garden and the first drawing, showing the side garden m, has been rotated 90 degrees from its orientation in the other drawing.

View attachment 253292

To give you a feel for it now here is a short video I took two years ago walking out the side doors, heading out to the back garden as far as to the pond where a hummingbird working over a red flowering Salvia wagneriana and a mostly orange colored Lobelia aguana seemed like a natural place to end it.

You might like this for the gardening aspect-

Well my neighborhood leaves something to be desired. The best I’ve heard it called is seedy. But it has improved and having the park nearby makes illicit ball work with the dogs early mornings easy.

You’re very kind. My garden was inspired by one I saw a long time ago made by a guy with tons and tons of concrete poured to look like the exfoliated granite in his favorite hiking and camping areas in the Sierras around Yosemite. But his plant palette was unapologetically exotic and the effect made me want to make a garden too, a Pseudonatural paradise laid out to entice birds, butterflies and beneficials.

https://harlandhandgarden.com/
goodness me you've recreated that Harland Garden exceptionally well.. wow!! Congratulations.. you've clearly made a Halcyonic space in the middle of something not so pretty...

Absolutely beautiful, you have put a lot of work into it, I loved seeing the Hummingbird, we don't see them in N.Z. Thanks for posting.

I see by by your avatar that you are into birds. Before I started the garden I got interested in keeping small birds in outdoor aviaries. I built the first following my first year of teaching in 1990. After my second year I built two more. Soon after that I got interested in planting the aviaries. Eventually that led to wanting to plant the garden for local bird life since the creek is part of a natural flyway.

An old photo looking down on my aviaries and my bank of the creek from the warehouse on the other side.

1669935254538.jpeg

A night heron hanging out above an aviary.

1669935386280.jpeg

One of mine, a male Mesia inside the aviary the heron was sitting on.

1669935552605.jpeg
I built this faux rock wall with planting pockets at the end of one aviary. But by this time I’d removed all the wire around that aviary.

1669935669933.jpeg

I kept the wire in place around the neighboring aviary to house an outdoor bed in a space I could shut out vermin. When I was still teaching but hadn’t yet had my sleep apnea diagnosed I drag myself home and collapse here.

1669935815405.jpeg

Last edited:
My garden...
garden-HD.jpg

IMG-5395.jpg

Garden-ladders-trug-may-HD.jpg

tulips.jpg

I started making the back garden soon after I started teaching more than thirty years ago. Our back fence abuts a city park to the east. To the south is a community orchard and on the north a year around creek separates our parcel from our neighbor. Our place is a a little cracker box of a warehouse, 40 by 80 feet situated in the southwest corner of our 100 feet wide by 120 feet deep lot. It isn’t large by rural standards but is unusually large by suburban standards and we have far more open ground than neighboring commercial buildings.

View attachment 253293

View attachment 253292

Thank you for your post, enjoyed it very much.

My garden...
garden-HD.jpg

IMG-5395.jpg

Garden-ladders-trug-may-HD.jpg

tulips.jpg
Ooh, a nice payoff for making the post - getting to see some new and beautiful gardens! Thanks. I so envy your year around rainfall. We actually got some today and it is the season for it but we need more. (We always need more.)

I hope that ladder in the third picture was being used by someone else. I've decided not to be getting up very high on ladders or by climbing trees anymore. Seems to me the time to stop is before you lose your mobility. ;)

Last year I paid an arborist to do prune some trees for the first time. I hope to stick to the 8 foot orchard ladder or get someone else to do it from now on.

Ooh, a nice payoff for making the post - getting to see some new and beautiful gardens! Thanks. I so envy your year around rainfall. We actually got some today and it is the season for it but we need more. (We always need more.)

I hope that ladder in the third picture was being used by someone else. I've decided not to be getting up very high on ladders or by climbing trees anymore. Seems to me the time to stop is before you lose your mobility. ;)

Last year I paid an arborist to do prune some trees for the first time. I hope to stick to the 8 foot orchard ladder or get someone else to do it from now on.
No the ladder was being used by me to top the hedges.. I have no choice it has to be done.. :)..the last 3 years have been quite problematic in that our summer have been very dry and hot.. in the 90's.. and no rain for weeks at a time.. then all during November we've had almost constant rain... so on a month when we in the South of England never expect to have to cut back and trim.. and even mow, we're having to do it because everything is still growing..

@MarkD How difficult was it for your wonderful garden in the drought this summer? It seems you're in CA which got really dry!

It was pretty bad. But I lost just a couple potted plants. In general summer is like other people's winters. It's the hump my plants have to make it past to survive and keep their place here. But I do have a couple places that I give more regular water too. Zoning plants like that and having lots of unplanted pathways is part of how I get by using less water. I do think preserving negative (unplanted) space around planted areas sets them off nicely.

@MarkD - You've created a stunning garden to say the least. I enjoyed the shot of the humming bird going from flower to flower.

Do you ever have any issues with Strawberry Creek flooding?

Actually one year we got so much rain so fast that the foot bridge in the park just up stream was covered over in mud and plant debris half way up its railing. When I opened the gate to better see how much water there was, I couldn’t actually get down the bank at all. I’m very fortunate that the creek bends away from me at a key junction so that it doesn’t wear away my bank (At least not until it bends back the way later.)

Anyone inspired to share their own garden photos is very welcome to. (Hint, hint.😉)

@MarkD
Thank you for sharing your beautiful gardens with us. It's so lovely seeing the hummingbird in the video. It
has been a long time since I've experienced such a tropical environment. I had a small, but lovely garden
when I lived in South Australia. Alas, I have no images saved on my computer :(
The hummers are a big favorite of mine too. One time they nested in the fork of a succulent (Euphorbia lambii) less than three feet above the ground. Surprisingly both babies fledged successfully. Usually they nest in a fruit tree or somewhere where it is harder to spot them. This photo shows them early on.

1669939633049.jpeg
And then as they matured.

1669939690985.jpeg

Their nest was beside the pond in front of the birches. In this photo the plant with nest is in the lower left corner, where it’s lowest branches fork for the first time (but just out of the photo).

1669939957600.jpeg

If you continue down the back path below those big yellow Telanthophora grandiflora flowers you come to the plants that they might love most, the orange tubular flowers of Iochroma fushiodes and the orange bell like flowers of Abutilon.

1669940158583.jpeg

Another bird I enjoy seeing in the garden are bushtits. They are almost as small but don’t hover and they eat tiny pests. They roll through the garden in large gangs working over all the shrubs and trees. While they’re not the aerialists that the hummers are they are no slouches on the wing and come in numbers. When they work through an Iochroma, the hummers find something else to do. I shot this video about a year ago. I had to prune this plant down and yet hated to do so with hummers overwintering. They continued to feed from the flowers on the curt branches on the ground. Anyhow the happy sight of bushtits feeding up about 25-30 feet. Shot with my phone on maximum magnification. At least thinning it made it easier to see these little guys.

Love the video, Mark. We don't get the variety of birds in the city that my nephew gets living out in the
country-side.

I miss the personalities of the colourful bird species of Australia. You are fortunate to have your gardens
that attract so many.

Back