Happy Easter to Everyone!

cd2a80f5fe3f9e03c19a0bcfea5089ae.jpg

My Grandma was 'from the old country'...we would always use natural dyes for the eggs. But first, we would take the back of a wooden match stick, put it in some melted candle wax, and then draw waxed crosses on the eggs. When the eggs were colored, the dye would not take where the wax was.

So the color of the eggs shell (white, brown, etc) would be the color of the crosses. We would also draw flowers, bunnies, etc.

It's been a very long time since I've thought of that.....thanks for bringing back such wonderful memories of time spent with my Grandma!!

My Grandma was 'from the old country'...we would always use natural dyes for the eggs. But first, we would take the back of a wooden match stick, put it in some melted candle wax, and then draw waxed crosses on the eggs. When the eggs were colored, the dye would not take where the wax was.

So the color of the eggs shell (white, brown, etc) would be the color of the crosses. We would also draw flowers, bunnies, etc.

It's been a very long time since I've thought of that.....thanks for bringing back such wonderful memories of time spent with my Grandma!!
@Trila, mine too. But she lived out of state and our semi-annual visits were never at Easter. However, we would get a couple of shoeboxes with those same decorated eggs in the mail (some smashed) and one with her homemade kolache.

@Trila, mine too. But she lived out of state and our semi-annual visits were never at Easter. However, we would get a couple of shoeboxes with those same decorated eggs in the mail (some smashed) and one with her homemade kolache.
My Dad's Mom was the one we went to see for Easter every year. Back then it was about a 2 hour drive.

My Mom's Mom lived next door to us. She's the one who made the kolache! We always had them for Christmas! Yum!!

Back