Has there been a lot of rain where you are this year?

Two million British holidaymakers are set to jet off over the Easter weekend, with their getaways being threatened by Storm Nelson which has already seen torrential rain deluge roads, trains delayed by high winds and planes aborting landings.

Manchester airport has said it is bracing for 'record-breaking' passenger numbers, with many hoping to head to Turkey, Dubai and the Canary Islands as the UK is set to be lashed by wet and windy weather.

Ferries were cancelled today as the UK endured 80mph gusts, snow, hail and thunder while parks, zoos and gardens had to close with the south of England particularly badly hit.

The Met Office extended a 17-hour wind warning to cover the whole of the south coast from Cornwall to Kent and up to Suffolk with strong gusts until midnight.

Also today, the Tornado and Storm Research Organisation warned there was a 'low end chance' of one or two tornadoes developing over an area of England including London – with a Met Office meteorologist saying 'the odd tornado' was possible.

Storm Nelson sparks chaos as two million Brits plan Easter getaways

We are very dry here in Missouri, I'm near Kansas City Mo...and
even tho we got a bit couple days ago, it is still very dry....
We;re about 100 miles SE of KC, and we're about 2 inches below normal rainfall for the year. We had a heavy rain about a week ago, which messed up our gravel road a bit, but nothing since. However, we usually get a bunch of rain in April and May, so I expect we'll be seeing a lot more rain, soon.

I jokingly refer to rain as Nova Scotia liquid sunshine. Cape Breton can be pretty dismal with lots of fog and drizzle. How is your maple sap running, Patty ? Jimb.
Yeah, it rains a lot here. It’s good for gardening. We have 18 gallons and sap and 3 lites of pure maple syrup. We were previously using propane but my husband made a fire pit from the frame of an old mental bed. Now we use wood to burn down the sap. The sap has to reach 219 degrees Fahrenheit for it to be finished. That’s how you know it’s done. It’s very tasty

Nova Scotia can indeed be very dismal when it rains but so can anywhere. When the sun shines though, it feels almost magical here.

It has been very dry here this winter. We took a walk this afternoon and crossed our creek at the low water bridge. 5 years ago and in the past there has always been running water. This is what it like now.

View attachment 337630 View attachment 337631
flood1.jpgflood2.jpgflood3.jpg
In years gone by it would have been snow, Rain and flooding in The New Forest is an annual occurrence that has replaced the snow.

The continual increase of major floods and draughts are very concerning. We are now over the 1.5c above pre industrial temperature worldwide already. That was a goal to stay below by 2030. Imagine what it will be in 2030, because the world is continuing to heat up rapidly. It will be no surprise this year that extreme weather events will cause major costs for lives and resources.

I'm in northern New Jersey, USA and yes there has been an awful lot of rain. A couple of times in the last couple of months, it has caused major flooding in the same areas. People have had their homes and businesses ruined. Before the clean up was completed, they faced more flooding. It's a terrible situation. It has been raining for three days and we are under another flood watch. No doubt those same areas impacted before will flood again. 😞 I can actually walk to areas that get flooded but my neighborhood never floods.

I'm in northern New Jersey, USA and yes there has been an awful lot of rain. A couple of times in the last couple of months, it has caused major flooding in the same areas. People have had their homes and businesses ruined. Before the clean up was completed, they faced more flooding. It's a terrible situation. It has been raining for three days and we are under another flood watch. No doubt those same areas impacted before will flood again. 😞 I can actually walk to areas that get flooded but my neighborhood never floods.
Seems like flooding events are becoming more frequent.
Eastern Australia, particularly Queensland has has catastrophic flooding.
Some people's houses have been flooded several times.
Might be time to start building on higher ground. Even move whole townsites.
Flood insurance is now ridiculously high. Many people can not afford it. Even got to the stage where insurance companies will not offer flood insuance. Too risky.

My state has had rainfall that was historically in the 4-5 inch range for March, hitting the 8-9 inch range. It may have finally stopped raining this morning after nonstop rain all day and night in the past 24 hours.

woke up this morning and looked outside. flooded street and yards.lots of rain and more to come.

Back