Heard about the pizza uproar?

When I was in Italy about eight yers ago, I saw Italians of all social classes, you could tell by their clothing & bearing, eating pizza (and other traditional Italian foods, of course). Personally, I like fairly traditional Italian-style pizza.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/pineapple-pizza-italy-naples/index.html

Yum.. :)

OIG.L5qwzg33vadkQzdNsb.Y

I love cheese pizza only. Occasionally I'll have a pepperoni pizza. I love the natural flavor of a pizza with extra cheese, so I don't like all that additional crap all over a slice disguising the flavor I love. Pineapples? Hell no! Same with mushrooms, anchovies, peppers, sausage, and the rest of that nonsense.

Hasn't changed much, style wise, since tasting first pizza circa 1966-67.

Crusts styles: thick, thin, cheese stuffed. Currently, thin.
Toppings: pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers and extra cheese. Currently, pepperoni/mushrooms (latest Takeaway place, no need for extra cheese, as there's so much, therefore perfect.

Tried Philly Cheese Steak pizza, not bad. Closest Takeaway over 20 years ago, didn't offer pepperoni, but chicken, that was okay but not great. Had a Hawaiian pizza delivered by mistake, WTH!!!

Had to give up one Takeaway back in 2022, they changed their cooks too often. Therefore, pizzas weren't tasty anymore.

Tried Papa John's once and it was disastrous. Dried toppings and burnt, not worth the ÂŁ9.99 we'd paid for it. Yuck!

Over the years, always tried to stay away from big brand name places. Preferred to help the small businesses. Thankfully, the latter has always produced the greatest results.

Radish Rose,
That would be ,for me, a Trenton NJ pizza-thin crust, and charred from a HOT coal burning oven, circa the 1960s and $.15 a slice.

A few blocks from a good Pizza restaurant in Trenton, there was a small place that only served one thing- hot dogs on a hard roll with mustard, peppers and onions.

Yep, I read about the pineapple nonsense. As tomatoes and pineapples were both introduced to Italy about the same time, why the uproar? As a traditional Italian pizza is supposed to have tomato sauce... what was it called before then?

I lived and worked in Northern Italy in the 90's. Pizza in restaurants, was always a starter and everybody ate it, rich or poor, adults & children...

The first afternoon I ate in a fairly small mom & Pop restaurant I couldn't believe it when they brought this HUGE very thin based Pizza to the table for just 2 of us, then expected us to eat a whole giant size portion of spaghetti Carbonara as well..and were surprised when we couldn't..

The Italians at least back then, I don't know about now.. didn't eat in the afternoon... no restaurants or cafes sold any food beyond very ornate cakes to have with coffee.. or the odd very small Tapas type of snack.. ...so by the time people were ready to eat in the evening they were very hungry, and every night it was very usual to spend 2 hours at the table...

To this day I can only eat thin crust Italian Pizzas... nothing like stuffed crust or thick based Pizzas..*ugh*

Last edited:
Harry the Hermit asked:
"pizza is supposed to have tomato sauce... what was it called before then?"

In Trenton NY they were called Tomato Pies. I dont know when they started to call them pizzas.
I bet many restaurants there still have the florescent Tomato Pie signs.

Our local gas station sells pizzas that are pretty good-but thick crust and too much sauce, and they have breakfast pizzas- no tomato sauce, lots of cheese, sausage, and lots of garlic. Also they have a traditional pizza with Buffalo wing chicken pieces on it.

Back