Here's a question for the guys about guns....

Colleen

My late husband was a competition trap shooter. He went to a lot of shoots all over and he was very good. He won a lot of trophies (which his kids don't want :( ). I sold his trap gun and reloader and supplies to a friend of his that has a trap club.

He has several other guns in his gun safe and here's the dilemma for me.

Over the years he offered his oldest son (who's now 54) all the guns in the safe, except his trap gun, but his son always turned him down. He even offered the guns to his son when we were packing up to leave AZ to come back to PA (exactly 2 years ago). Again, his son didn't want them. His son never took an interest in anything his dad did and wouldn't even go watch his dad shoot at any event. You get the picture.

Recently, my step-daughter told me that her brother wants his dad's guns and they want the gun safe, which they bought for their dad years ago as a Christmas gift.

The son has never called me or even sent a text since his dad died in October to see if I'm OK. He hasn't contacted me personally about wanting the guns.

He lives in AZ and would not come here to PA to specifically get the guns & safe. He would only make the trip if his sister and her husband would be coming (he's never done anything on his own without his sister and her husband...it's a weird situation...don't ask). Well, now his sister and her husband aren't going to be coming this spring or summer to help me get a sale organized because they'll be out on the road for at least 5-6 months...maybe more (they are expediter's for Fed-Ex), so now the guns won't be taken for quite a while.

I'm not in any hurry for the guns to be gone. That's not my point. I have an opportunity to sell all of it and goodness knows, I can use the money.

What would you do?

Sell them. I’ve been in similar situations with my kids and always end up being a storage bin full of stuff (great memories). My experience has been to get rid of them before the whole situation sours. “Hey guys, I really need to sell all this, can’t store it up any longer.” Most of mine has been throwaways, but I did sell a few of the bigger items. I can empathize with your situation.

Last edited:
My late husband was a competition trap shooter. He went to a lot of shoots all over and he was very good. He won a lot of trophies (which his kids don't want :( ). I sold his trap gun and reloader and supplies to a friend of his that has a trap club.

Over the years he offered his oldest son (who's now 54) all the guns in the safe, except his trap gun, but his son always turned him down. He even offered the guns to his son when we were packing up to leave AZ to come back to PA (exactly 2 years ago). Again, his son didn't want them. His son never took an interest in anything his dad did and wouldn't even go watch his dad shoot at any event. You get the picture.

Recently, my step-daughter told me that her brother wants his dad's guns and they want the gun safe, which they bought for their dad years ago as a Christmas gift.

The son has never called me or even sent a text since his dad died in October to see if I'm OK. He hasn't contacted me personally about wanting the guns.

He lives in AZ and would not come here to PA to specifically get the guns & safe. He would only make the trip if his sister and her husband would be coming (he's never done anything on his own without his sister and her husband...it's a weird situation...don't ask). Well, now his sister and her husband aren't going to be coming this spring or summer to help me get a sale organized because they'll be out on the road for at least 5-6 months...maybe more (they are expediter's for Fed-Ex), so now the guns won't be taken for quite a while.

I'm not in any hurry for the guns to be gone. That's not my point. I have an opportunity to sell all of it and goodness knows, I can use the money.

What would you do?
Give him some, sell some.

I feel your pain... Sell them, and don't second guess that decision.

I've got 4 adult (mid 50s) kids - 3 boys and a girl. None of them are seriously interested in my "stuff" (firearms, coin / stamp collections, Lionel train collection, mechanics tools, or woodworking tools or even my Rolex Submariner) except for how much they could sell them for.

The Stepdaughters brother would be a real bad idea to let him have them. Your local gun dealer will most likely love to offer you a price for the collection. Your state would most likely approve of your sale to one. You most likely will break the law giving them away to an out of state stranger not knowing their qualifications to own, possess, carry one. Are they licensed to hunt in Penn. that sort of stuff.

Last edited:
Selling thru a Gun Dealer would most likely be a safe way. Giving them to individuals has its risks.

Pennsylvania has specific laws governing the possession and carrying of firearms. Let’s delve into some key points:

License to Carry Firearms (LTC):
Individuals who are 21 years of age or older can apply for a License to Carry Firearms. This license allows concealed carry of a firearm on one’s person or in a vehicle within the state.
If you reside in a city of the first class (such as Philadelphia), submit your application to the chief of police of that city.
The current number of active LTC permits in Pennsylvania is approximately 1,628,110, as of April 1, 20241.
Carrying a concealed firearm without a valid license is a felony of the third degree1.
Sportsman’s Firearm Permit:
Individuals who are 18 years of age or older and hold a valid hunting, trapping, or fishing license can apply for a Sportsman’s Firearm Permit.
This permit allows carrying a firearm for sports-related activities.
The application should be submitted to the county treasurer’s office along with the required fee1.
Background Checks and Waiting Period:
Background checks are mandatory for all handgun sales, including at gun shows.
Handgun purchases must go through a dealer, and a criminal background check is conducted via the Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS)2.
Local Authority:
Local municipalities have some authority to regulate firearms within their jurisdictions.
Pennsylvania gun laws require a purchase application for all handguns bought in the state2.
Reciprocity Agreements:
Pennsylvania has reciprocity agreements with other states for mutual recognition of each state’s license to carry a firearm.
If you possess a valid license/permit from a state with which Pennsylvania has a current reciprocity agreement, you can legally carry a concealed firearm in Pennsylvania1.
Remember, always stay informed about the specific laws and regulations in your area to ensure compliance with firearm-related requirements. 🛡️🔫

What are the penalties for violating Pennsylvania's gun laws?
Copilot
Violating Pennsylvania’s gun laws can result in serious consequences. Here are some penalties for specific offenses:

Carrying a Concealed Firearm Without a Valid License:
If caught carrying a concealed firearm without a valid License to Carry Firearms (LTC), you could face a felony of the third degree.
Penalties may include imprisonment, fines, and a permanent criminal record.
Illegal Possession or Transfer of Firearms:
Engaging in illegal possession or transfer of firearms can lead to criminal charges.
Depending on the circumstances, penalties may range from misdemeanors to felonies.
Straw Purchasing:
Straw purchasing involves buying firearms on behalf of someone who is prohibited from owning them.
Penalties for straw purchasing can include imprisonment and fines.
Firearms in Prohibited Places:
Carrying firearms in certain prohibited places (e.g., schools, government buildings, courthouses) can result in criminal charges.
Penalties vary based on the specific location and circumstances.
Failure to Comply with Background Checks:
Selling or transferring a firearm without conducting the required background check through the Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS) is illegal.
Violators may face criminal charges.
Unlawful Discharge of Firearms:
Discharging a firearm in a reckless or dangerous manner can lead to criminal charges.
Penalties may include fines, imprisonment, or both.
Possession of Firearms by Prohibited Persons:
Certain individuals (e.g., convicted felons, those with restraining orders) are prohibited from possessing firearms.
Violating this prohibition can result in criminal charges.
Remember that the severity of penalties depends on factors such as the specific offense, prior criminal history, and intent. It’s crucial to understand and adhere to Pennsylvania’s gun laws to avoid legal trouble. 🛡️🔫

I spent many years as a competive trap shooter, I've shot PA. State Shoot and if your husband ever traveled to Ohio and shot the A.T.A. Grand American we probably crossed paths. Curious what brand your husband's trap gun was?

As for the remaining guns here's what I would do. Yes the boy is a shit, you owe him nothing. But..someday he may mature and feel differently. If there is a gun you know your husband had when the boy was young, or even a gun the son shot as a kid give it to him. Someday maybe he will look at the gun and have a good memory of his dad, and sure he could also simply sell it for quick cash but that will be his decision to regret.

Consider the safe and the other guns part of the estate to be sold. Do your research only before you sell the guns, easy to look up values by make and model, manufacture date can be found by serial number. Don't contact any dealers until you know the values, yes they need to make money but I think 20% below market value is as low as you should go.

In my experience, the 'kids' aren't interested - Till It's Gone! Then it's but, but, but... I would give them a time frame, get it by this date or it goes on the auction block. However, Colleen, please do what you feel most comfortable doing. :coffee: Don...

Sell them through a dealer who will handle all of the legal paperwork & you won't have to worry about it.

To do this, try to seek the help of one of his friends at the club or someone else you trust to make sure you get fair market value for the weapons. A friend would be able to tell you what fair market value by looking up the going prices on line & also help you to work with a dealer. Some stores will be up front & honest while others may not. It doesn't hurt to have someone with you when you do this.

As far as his son, since he didn't want anything, don't worry about him as he had his chance.

We had a friend pass away last year & his wife had help from another friend to sell what he had & everything went through a dealer. It worked out well.

You can then use the money for yourself & do what ever you need or want to do with it. 🤗

What would you do?
Don't know about your state
But in Oregon you can't just sell guns
or give them away (especially out of state)

Here, guns are registered
To sell or give them. you must go thru an authorized dealer
to get the buyer qualified
And get the registration transferred

@papa tiger has the laws down pretty good

Sell them all, but be legit

Think about it;
If those guns are registered in your or your husband's name,
and you give or sell them to someone without properly transferring ownership. and they shoot someone (accident or no)...guess who they come after?

I've told my lady to sell all mine to a well noted dealer
No muss
No fuss

What would you do?
well, clearly you naturally are conflicted-time to bite the bullet, if you can live with yourself....stop with the son, he has made his choices ...one of them is to make you feel guilty- I have one just like that...out of sync with me, and the world (phd) drives me nuts --no common sense and seems to lack emotional connections with everyone....(aspbergers I suspect) but brilliant....never on time, never any consideration, never does with I ask of him or and when, never-I talk with him skype and video and audio 4 nights a week, tho I have asked him repeatedly years ago to call me earlier. he still calls late- never any thing worth while...just small talk -I hate small talk-

if it was me I would get in touch with the gun club guy ask him to help you unload the guns and gun safe- he will know of one at time buyers or all at once- and/or buy them himself......give him some thing for doing it -

and find someones son you can be kind too.....with simply your gradatude for being able to survive an ahole for kid-- an move forward ...water under the bridge and only lives on one place--your memory! lock it up and stay out of it---

harsh! but best for all.....I did it for my sanity, and I understand my sons condition and situation, I just am not going to let him drag me into ot--I honestly dont think he has or is able to grasp this situation, not my fault....steve jobs was like that elon musk...and others- it is part of in my sons makeup (somewhat of a savant) savant or not, he has no right to make you suffer..again, maybe- some reason or not?-ahole seems to fit both of them.
take care of yourself first-

The situation.

The step-daughter I'm guessing wants the guns for free. The son has no interest in you or the guns.

Think about this. What would you advise a older woman in need of money with this sceanario?

"Recently, my step-daughter told me that her brother wants his dad's guns and they want the gun safe, which they bought for their dad years ago as a Christmas gift.

The son has never called me or even sent a text since his dad died in October to see if I'm OK. He hasn't contacted me personally about wanting the guns."

Would you advise to give away an asset of value?

Would you wait & hope that all legal requirements were met and the DIL would pay for any fees.

Or do like most have suggested. Sell & do it legally.

Selling thru a Gun Dealer would most likely be a safe way. Giving them to individuals has its risks.

Pennsylvania has specific laws governing the possession and carrying of firearms. Let’s delve into some key points:

License to Carry Firearms (LTC):
Individuals who are 21 years of age or older can apply for a License to Carry Firearms. This license allows concealed carry of a firearm on one’s person or in a vehicle within the state.
If you reside in a city of the first class (such as Philadelphia), submit your application to the chief of police of that city.
The current number of active LTC permits in Pennsylvania is approximately 1,628,110, as of April 1, 20241.
Carrying a concealed firearm without a valid license is a felony of the third degree1.
Sportsman’s Firearm Permit:
Individuals who are 18 years of age or older and hold a valid hunting, trapping, or fishing license can apply for a Sportsman’s Firearm Permit.
This permit allows carrying a firearm for sports-related activities.
The application should be submitted to the county treasurer’s office along with the required fee1.
Background Checks and Waiting Period:
Background checks are mandatory for all handgun sales, including at gun shows.
Handgun purchases must go through a dealer, and a criminal background check is conducted via the Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS)2.
Local Authority:
Local municipalities have some authority to regulate firearms within their jurisdictions.
Pennsylvania gun laws require a purchase application for all handguns bought in the state2.
Reciprocity Agreements:
Pennsylvania has reciprocity agreements with other states for mutual recognition of each state’s license to carry a firearm.
If you possess a valid license/permit from a state with which Pennsylvania has a current reciprocity agreement, you can legally carry a concealed firearm in Pennsylvania1.
Remember, always stay informed about the specific laws and regulations in your area to ensure compliance with firearm-related requirements. 🛡️🔫

What are the penalties for violating Pennsylvania's gun laws?
Copilot
Violating Pennsylvania’s gun laws can result in serious consequences. Here are some penalties for specific offenses:

Carrying a Concealed Firearm Without a Valid License:
If caught carrying a concealed firearm without a valid License to Carry Firearms (LTC), you could face a felony of the third degree.
Penalties may include imprisonment, fines, and a permanent criminal record.
Illegal Possession or Transfer of Firearms:
Engaging in illegal possession or transfer of firearms can lead to criminal charges.
Depending on the circumstances, penalties may range from misdemeanors to felonies.
Straw Purchasing:
Straw purchasing involves buying firearms on behalf of someone who is prohibited from owning them.
Penalties for straw purchasing can include imprisonment and fines.
Firearms in Prohibited Places:
Carrying firearms in certain prohibited places (e.g., schools, government buildings, courthouses) can result in criminal charges.
Penalties vary based on the specific location and circumstances.
Failure to Comply with Background Checks:
Selling or transferring a firearm without conducting the required background check through the Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS) is illegal.
Violators may face criminal charges.
Unlawful Discharge of Firearms:
Discharging a firearm in a reckless or dangerous manner can lead to criminal charges.
Penalties may include fines, imprisonment, or both.
Possession of Firearms by Prohibited Persons:
Certain individuals (e.g., convicted felons, those with restraining orders) are prohibited from possessing firearms.
Violating this prohibition can result in criminal charges.
Remember that the severity of penalties depends on factors such as the specific offense, prior criminal history, and intent. It’s crucial to understand and adhere to Pennsylvania’s gun laws to avoid legal trouble. 🛡️🔫
And if you inadvertently sell a gun to a prior felon and he/she commits a crime with that weapon, the seller ‘could’ also be held liable.

Take a deep breath. Find someone you can trust like Aunt Mavis that knows guns. Take your time and do things properly like some of the posts above suggest. The SIL gets Jack Squat!
Edit. After thinking on this please reconsider this thread. Not a safe topic for a public forum and a lady.

Last edited:
Selling the guns to a reputable gun store is the better move. The store owner will run the serial numbers from each weapon to make sure the guns are legal and able to be sold. Any attempt to remove a serial number is a felony.

I just bought a used Sig Sauer P226, which is the equivalent to a 9mm. I carried that pistol in my days as a state cop, but they have since changed over to a Walter PDP. I am going to give the gun I just bought to my son. He has always favored mine, so I decided to buy him one. The pistol I bought is like new and comes with the wooden case.

Back