Hi I'm Stoppelmann

Do you guys have any idea how strange your place names sound to an American ear?
😅 The names Plymouth, Bideford, and Barnstaple have been used in place names in the United States. Plymouth is a well-known example, as it was the name of the English port from which the Pilgrims set sail for the New World in 1620. There are several places named Plymouth in the United States, including Plymouth, Massachusetts, which is the landing site of the Mayflower, and Plymouth, Minnesota, a city in the Minneapolis-Saint Paul metropolitan area.

There is Bideford Avenue in North Providence, Rhode Island, and Barnstaple Drive in Roanoke, Virginia. The original names are probably from colloquial forms of "by the ford," and "barn stable" in older times. But tell me, where does Zzyzx, California, come from? 😅 Then again, people might be happy to live in Normal, Illinois. There are some strange names around and I spent many years laughing at them.

Britain has a fair share: Wetwang is in East Yorkshire; Piddlehinton and Piddleton are in Dorset; Crapstone is in Devon; Pratts Bottom is in Greater London; Ugley is in Essex; and finally, Scratchy Bottom is in Dorset. I won't even start on German names ... 😂

Back