How about recommending some ancient films

I asked how many times the "Phantom" has been made :

There have been several adaptations and variations of the classic Phantom of the Opera story over the years. Here are 12 Phantom movies, each with its own unique take on the haunting tale:

1. The Phantom of the Opera (1925):
  2. Phantom of the Paradise (1974):
    • A quirky musical comedy-drama where a disfigured composer sells his soul for the woman he loves, leading to a rock palace betrayal. Directed by Brian De Palma1.
  3. The Phantom of the Opera (1989):
  4. Phantom of the Opera (1943):
  5. The Phantom Lover (1995):
    • Set in 1930s China, this film features an opera troupe haunted by the spectral figure of a once-great opera singer. Leslie Cheung leads the cast1.
  6. The Phantom of the Opera (2004):
  7. The Phantom of the Opera (1962):
  8. The Phantom of the Opera (1998):
These films span different genres, tones, and interpretations, but they all share the enduring allure of the mysterious Phantom and the haunting world of the opera.

I think I have watched about 4 different ones. 1962 was my favorite. I lived in NY city for awhile. I went to a few plays on Broadway. I would of LOVED to have seen the paly.

Another classic:
Destiny (1921), in German "Der müde Tod" (The Tired Death), also by Fritz Lang. You can choose English subtitles.

Last edited:
TCM played a Tom Mix western one night. This film, TCM said, was one of a couple of Tom Mix's films that survived a fire at a warehouse. I think the name was "The Man from Texas".

"Beware of Pity" (1946) based on the novel "Ungeduld des Herzens" (impatience of heart) by the Jewish author Stefan Zweig, who had to leave Austria because of the Nazis. He committed suicide together with his second wife in Petrópolis, Brazil in 1942. The movie is not in color as the pic suggests but in black and white.

Maureen O'Hara and Charles Laughton in The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)

Synopsis (TCM)

"Ignorance, cruelty and superstition pervade France of the fifteenth century. Frollo, the King's high justice, exploits these evils, persecuting the gypsies and opposing any mode of progress. When the lovely gypsy dancer Esmeralda is threatened by the King's men, she seeks refuge in a church, Notre Dame, where she meets the grotesque hunchback Quasimodo. Frollo, who is Quasimodo's guardian, orders the hunchback to take the girl captive, and Esmeralda, terrified, escapes to the underworld of Clopin and his beggars. There, she saves the life of the poet Gringoire by consenting to take him as her husband, although she truly loves the soldier Phoebus.

Frollo lusts after Esmeralda, however, and, unable to tolerate her love for Phoebus, kills his rival. Esmeralda is arrested for the crime, and Frollo, claiming that the girl had bewitched him with the power of Satan, demands her life. As Esmeralda is marched to die on the gallows, Quasimodo leaps from the building above and carries her to the sanctuary of the church. Not to be denied Esmeralda's life, Frollo incites the nobles to deny sanctuary, and the beggars, concerned for the girl's safety, storm the church. Amid the chaos, Frollo enters the church. Justice is finally served as Quasimodo hurls Frollo to his death from the bell tower."

Ahhh, old movies!!! During the onset of Covid, my Wife and I stocked up on DVDs, picking up "award nominees" and other ranked movies of the past. Here are some favorites:
- The Vikings
- The Greatest Show on Earth
- The Bishop's Wife (truly a great Holiday movie imo)
- The Fighting Sullivans (one of the biggest tear jerkers ever)
- It Happened One Night
etc., etc., etc.

Back