How are we feeling about climate change, (can't be bothered?)?

grahamg

Old codger
Now I've deliberately chosen a provocative title here, but the critical element implied or stated, ("can't be bothered?"), I'm really saying as a way of criticising myself!!!!

Its just too easy to put your hands up and say or think, "What can I/We do"? (either because the whole issue seems too big to think about right now, or else other troubles in my life are crowding out thinking about such a fundamental issue).

Then again, how much of climate change is man caused and how much is natural and re-occurring hundreds of times ? Recall that 20,000 years ago much of North America and Northern Europe and Asia were covered in ice up to a mile thick.
The one thing which bothers me are those people who are nearly hysterical over "climate change" completely ignore the dozens and dozens of ice ages followed by global heating.

Nothing that I could do would change anything. I would not be allowed to park a mule in front of my condo, and an electric car would not work logistically.
I believe there are a lot of ideas/proposals that are grossly impractical. I fear what dumb ideas might be hatched in Washington.

Climate Change is certainly coming. I doubt that I will see any major issues, at my age....but I wonder how my Grandkids, and beyond will be affected. I think we are very close....if not already at the "tipping point"...beyond which there is little that can be done to avoid the looming problems. I'm sure the politicians will try to pass a bunch of legislation in the near future....with little chance of changing anything, other than adding huge costs to the costs of transportation, and manufacturing, etc.

Now I've deliberately chosen a provocative title here, but the critical element implied or stated, ("can't be bothered?"), I'm really saying as a way of criticising myself!!!!

Its just too easy to put your hands up and say or think, "What can I/We do"? (either because the whole issue seems too big to think about right now, or else other troubles in my life are crowding out thinking about such a fundamental issue).
"What can I/We do"? Well for starters we can support politicians that are interested in finding solutions, rather than electing those that want to use deception and denial, in order to protect their fossil fuel stocks.

Nothing that I could do would change anything. I would not be allowed to park a mule in front of my condo, and an electric car would not work logistically.
I believe there are a lot of ideas/proposals that are grossly impractical. I fear what dumb ideas might be hatched in Washington.
Can I both agree and disagree with you at the same time(?) :)

It has to be true, that once someone, (or perhaps most people), accept, or assume made made climate change is real, that a solution to something "man made" is soluble, (at least if action is taken before a "tipping point" is reached, if it hasn't already.

The threat to be dealt with somehow, the degree of action needed in proportion to the best assessment of the level of threat, all this could lead anyone of us, given we had unlimited and untrammeled power over the whole world, and everyone in/on it!

You may remember the "Single child policy" followed by the totalitarian communist regime in China thirty or forty years ago, (a policy much lauded in the West I seem to remember).

What an impact such a drastic measure would have if imposed on every single couple wishing to start a family, (I can't think of a policy likely to create as much benefit to planet earth, were it all we wanted to consider). I'd be against such an extreme policy, even though I can see the perfect logic of "Less people = Less emissions".

However, as stated in OP, I'm far too swamped with other issues life has thrown at me to even bother too much about such an obviously overriding threat to our beautiful world, and all that's in it, (ridiculous I know!).

Next month there is a "Climate conference" in Glasgow. Apart from the delegates, there will thousands of Communists, Anarchists, Eco terrorists, tree huggers, vegans and every shade of nutcase imaginable. These will be watched over by thousands of police and doubtless thousands of journalists looking for sensationalist "exclusives" to sell their papers. Speeches will be made and forgotten, promises will be made and immediately broken. Millions of pounds will be wasted and in the end the result will be ZERO. The mess and the damage will be cleared up, the delegates will congratulate themselves, the environmentalist weirdos will crawl back to their homes and polish their 'gas guzzling' cars and everything will return to some sort or normality.

When this Covid business is over, I want to catch up on the things I've missed. International Travel, holidays, theatre etc... I'll drive my diesel campervan, eat meat, use oil for my central heating and I won't feel bad about it. I'm getting on a bit now and I just want to enjoy the time I've got left.

Next month there is a "Climate conference" in Glasgow. Apart from the delegates, there will thousands of Communists, Anarchists, Eco terrorists, tree huggers, vegans and every shade of nutcase imaginable. These will be watched over by thousands of police and doubtless thousands of journalists looking for sensationalist "exclusives" to sell their papers. Speeches will be made and forgotten, promises will be made and immediately broken. Millions of pounds will be wasted and in the end the result will be ZERO. The mess and the damage will be cleared up, the delegates will congratulate themselves, the environmentalist weirdos will crawl back to their homes and polish their 'gas guzzling' cars and everything will return to some sort or normality.

When this Covid business is over, I want to catch up on the things I've missed. International Travel, holidays, theatre etc... I'll drive my diesel campervan, eat meat, use oil for my central heating and I won't feel bad about it. I'm getting on a bit now and I just want to enjoy the time I've got left.
I totally agree with Capt Lightning. As far as I'm concerned the world has gone to hell … with or without climate change. Every nut case on the planet now has access to world wide media. Leftists top that list.

You may not realise it but you are in agreement with Greta Thunberg there! :)

As long as everyone believes that it’s the other guy’s problem nothing will get done.
I believe that nature will eventually solve the problem but man may not be included in nature’s plan.
Chilling assessment, and not far from the predictions given to students at my school fifty years ago, (nuclear war maybe finishing us off by 2050 teachers thought!). :(

As long as everyone believes that it’s the other guy’s problem nothing will get done.

I believe that nature will eventually solve the problem but man may not be included in nature’s plan.
Aunt Bea, you are probably correct.
It would take a world-wide effort with every single nation on board. Not likely to happen.

It is definitely happening, so.........

Don't live where there are lots of trees that can go on fire.

Don't live in areas that are prone to flooding.

Don't live in valleys or gorges where raging torrents can sweep away your home.

Don't live too close to the coast, where your home can topple into the sea, or a tsunami can overwhelm it.

For sale.
One executive style cave complete with outside privy.
For details........contact Mr Yeti.

"Climate Change" (formerly marketed as "Global Warming"): A limited body of objective scientific evidence that has been almost completely obscured by an avalanche of propaganda spawned by the desire for wealth, power, control and notoriety.
I agree, except that I would not call the evidence "limited", we have a lot of it now. I really appreciate the "almost completely obscured by an avalanche of propaganda spawned by the desire for wealth, power, control and notoriety" thing, very true!

I believe climate change is real, the earth's climate has never been stable, why should it be now? I believe that in the past few years, very few in geologic perspective, things have been warming. Ice is melting and sea level is rising. And there is certainly good evidence that human impact has contributed. Exactly how much is harder to know. And its even harder to know what will happen next, we are not very good at forecasting the weather more than a few hours or days out, multiyear trends are even harder to forecast.

Result is it is hard to know exactly what we can or should do about it, even for objective scientists, not surprising then that the public is confused. I don't think we will arrive at any consensus on appropriate action. So my approach is to keep an eye on it, support good research, and ignore the noise. Though sorting out and ignoring all the nonsense is hard. As to what I can do, other than support politicians who fund the good research it is probably limited. I am thinking about what I can do to get ready for and deal with things as they change. On a more personal level. Not sure I will make the right decisions, but at least they will be mine...
Very true!!

OK, so who here is ready & willing to give-up electricity as we know it ? It has been proven that wind & solar will not provide at the excepted amount.

Who here is ready to go back to the outhouse? Who here is ready to give up their car ? and go back to not only riding a horse, but shoveling tons upon tons of horse manure out of the cities, not to mention watching & smelling as 100s of gallons, [maybe more] of horse urine runs down the gutters.

What is going to power that office,shop,store or? that you work in ?

What is going to power this L/top I am typing on ? Ready to give up Netflix? On air sports ? Cell phones?

The earth is an ever evolving rock on which we live , we use it as best we can to better our lives.

Who here is ready & willing to go backwards ?

OK, so who here is ready & willing to give-up electricity as we know it ? It has been proven that wind & solar will not provide at the excepted amount.
Who here is ready to go back to the outhouse? Who here is ready to give up their car ? and go back to not only riding a horse, but shoveling tons upon tons of horse manure out of the cities, not to mention watching & smelling as 100s of gallons, [maybe more] of horse urine runs down the gutters.
What is going to power that office,shop,store or? that you work in ?
What is going to power this L/top I am typing on ? Ready to give up Netflix? On air sports ? Cell phones?
The earth is an ever evolving rock on which we live , we use it as best we can to better our lives.
Who here is ready & willing to go backwards ?
I'll have a go at going "off grid" if you want a volunteer, but your point is well made as to whether many will accept privations. :)

6 years ago, my hair was on fire about our near future. I even picketed for action immediately on increasing climate catastrophes and the scientific "evidence" that the human race was in danger of causing our own extinction within decades....
Today I don't care anymore. The feeling is gone. Nothing significant is being done or going to done ( apparently ), and I have only a few years left here, I guess it is real tough luck for our younger generations and their offspring.

Nothing significant is being done or going to done ( apparently ), and I have only a few years left here, I guess it is real tough luck for our younger generations and their offspring.

C'est ca... And, that's the truly sad part.

Like you, I probably have only a few years left. And while I won't be around to witness it, I still care.

But wait... what if we come down the chute again? What then...? Live in our own mess?

Makes me shiver just to consider it...

As far as I am concerned climate change being true or untrue is sidestepping the real issue. It is absolutely unquestionable that we are destroying our own beautifully designed ecosystem and that just seems insane to me. Having said that I must admit I am part of the insanity. I try to leave a small footprint but to survive these days it is almost impossible to not be part of the problem. I think we are way past the tipping point. Besides killing each other on a regular basis our disregard for our planet/environment is one of humanities most urgent issues. I have no answers but I recognize the problem.

As far as I am concerned climate change being true or untrue is sidestepping the real issue. It is absolutely unquestionable that we are destroying our own beautifully designed ecosystem and that just seems insane to me. Having said that I must admit I am part of the insanity. I try to leave a small footprint but to survive these days it is almost impossible to not be part of the problem. I think we are way past the tipping point. Besides killing each other on a regular basis our disregard for our planet/environment is one of humanities most urgent issues. I have no answers but I recognize the problem.
Can you stretch your imagination to come up with one "earth shattering" big idea, (don't worry whether anyone would go along with it at this stage, as I didn't in post 6 above)? :)

The "emphasis" seems to be on Fossil Fuels. However, with the increasing global droughts, the Forest Fires are probably releasing more "pollutants" into the atmosphere than all the cars, trucks, power plants, etc., combined. Then add in the millions of tons of Methane that are locked into the Permafrost, and ocean depths...which are being released increasingly into the air, and I seriously doubt that Anything can be done to reverse these conditions. Increased "regulations" will only drive consumer prices substantially higher, and make life miserable for millions.

Those living in coastal areas, only a few feet above current sea levels, are living on borrowed time. Those living in drought prone areas, surrounded by drying/flammable vegetation, are just one lightning strike away from losing everything.

"Climate Change" (formerly marketed as "Global Warming"): A limited body of objective scientific evidence that has been almost completely obscured by an avalanche of propaganda spawned by the desire for wealth, power, control and notoriety.
I would add that Climate Change has been exhaustively verified by overwhelming evidence, and that the big money interests have been successful in spreading Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt in the minds of those vulnerable to manipulation. It's ironic that the very areas of the U.S. mainland that will receive the most impact of the effects of Climate Change(politically Red states) will be begging the Federal Government for federal assistance. Sort of a "biblical" irony in my view.
The time for argument is past.

Back