How do you keep up with technology?

I recently switched to 11 pro and left 10 pro. I found ways to get around the "Cloud" by using Office Like programs in 15 GB USB plugs. I found the Cloud costs with Microsoft never end or decrease in price. I store my pictures on USB 3.0 also.

Reading so many people with ancient technology ...makes me realise I'm very much ahead of the game compared to many people..

An old CRT TV..windows 7?...OMG... :eek:

Even the most educated and intelligent experts today can only at best be so at any moment over limited subjects due to the vast increase in science and technology. Our human brains are not like electronic storage media. We may learn things well but unless such is regularly used, it all gradually fades over time. But what does remain over decades is the ability to more readily recall such learning versus starting anew again, by reviewing old information. That is because some neural connections still remain as a base even if they cannot be recalled.

What such experts can do is use other information sources to get at finer details. In this era, that is increasingly no longer in books but rather online sources much of which ordinary folk are not even aware of. Professional organizations especially those managed by higher education organizations have tended to wisely limit public access to such sources. In the past they were just paper journals one only found in university libraries while today one needs to become organization members often with fees for doing so.

I extensively learned earliest microprocessor machine assembly languages, then later C programming language, later UNIX computer programming, then later html programming among others. Now 8 years into retirement, I cannot perform much of any of that today without help by reviewing books and online sources. Today for ordinary folks, Youtube and web search sites like Google are one's friend for keeping up with technology. But to do so without being snowed requires basic levels of education, significant numbers of people don't have and would struggle for hours just coming to grip with "Hello World".

I often read material out of the NIH medical science library even though I won't understand many terms. Not a problem versus the book only era as one can have a computer window open just to look up term meanings.

National Center for Biotechnology Information

I am constantly amazed at the technology of today and the conveniences it brings to my life. What little I know, I've taught myself by researching, trial and error, a lot of errors....when I hit a snag, my granddaughter helps me.

I have no need to. If I get stuck, I call my son to bail me out. He’s a supervisor for the IT department for the state. He supervises all the networking for the state. I think he told me there are 14 people in his department. I paid for his education, so I get free information.

Computers haven't really bothered me since the days of Windows 98SE (second edition). Since then, XP, 7, 10, & 11 I have had no problems with. When I had my laptop, I never liked Windows 8 or 8.1. I have more problems with printers. I have a simple flip phone, so if I went to a smart phone (which I am too cheap to buy), there is where I would probably have problems.

I've worked with computers from way back in the day when it was punch cards. I'm glad I've kept up with tech but I'm no expert by any means but I can do a lot of research and when hubby died I did most of the notifications, etc. on the computer.

I don't unless I need to. And I hated it at work when it seemed every other week there was some new update to something whether it was the email, Microsoft Word, etc. and we had to learn again something new. However, the 22 year old who had exactly the same job as I had at another campus at the same college, loved all this stuff, surprise, surprise.... I was 67 at the time.

I'm that tiny little spec you see running as fast as it can, miles and miles behind the Parade of Technology. I'm still trying to figure out how to use a computer and phone that millions of 8-year-olds are already proficient on.

Luckily, I can pull a long face at the Spousal Equivalent and whine, "Honey, can you help me with this?" If he can't, my 4-year-old great-granddaughter usually can. She was actually showing me how to put "filters" on my phone pictures a couple of weeks ago. Pre-schoolers......ya gotta love 'em these days.

I suppose tying Cellular 5g with Internet WiFi telephone service will be great for many. I refrain for now. Keep the Cell shut off from Internet WiFi telephone capability.

Back