How is your day Today, plans and achievements 2024....

An update from my morning post, I did find new pair of New Balance sneakers.I couldn't find any walking shoes got the trainers instead,just like my last pair. I paid in cash didn't want to use my Kohl's credit card
An hour later when I got home, I called my church friend, Bill at Canterbury Woods asked if we could have lunch together,he was thrilled. I was looking at his apt which is similar to mine so I have a better idea where I want to put my furniture. Our apts are around the corner from each other on 2nd floor
When I got home took a short nap& then sat out in the community garden with a couple other residents for about 1hr enjoying their company as usual

I was surveying the garden after the rains last night.. as it's forecast for thunderstorms later again...

I caught hold of the wooden plant support stick, and got a splinter in my thumb and I can't get it out. I've tried needles, tweezers, everything.. but it's not coming out it's lying under the skin too deeply.. and horizontally.. and it hurts. I've now put some Magnesium drawing paste on it and a band-aid in the hope that will draw it out... anyone any better ideas ?
iu

Let dry, peel off

Salt (especially sea salt) is a natural antiseptic and anti-flammatory and really good for wounds and splinters. Some people gargle with it. Remember the old saying "rubbing salt on a wound"? Use hot water, as hot as you can comfortably bear without burning it, obviously :)
My sister suffered from acne as a teen. She spent a summer at the beach and when she came back her skin looked great, all cleared up. I commented on it and I could tell it made her feel good. I guess it was the salt water and fresh air.

Took care of a couple of business chores that I'd been putting off. Don't even know why I put them - they only took a few minutes and weren't particularly difficult or distasteful. Isn't that often the way with procrastinating? The thought of the chore is far worse than the chore itself.

Didn't get to Costco because DH & I wound up managing other things around the house. Pool cover is on and folds are relaxing straight - we'll trim it tomorrow and start to get ready for swimming season. Pool is in the low 70s right now. I like to swim in water that's between 88-92°. It'll take a few weeks to heat up to that temp.

I also took everything out of the kitchen pantry, washed the shelves and made sure there are no pantry moth nests. I keep food that attracts them in glass or heavy plastic jars and containers, but even a little spill is enough to host a colony.

Had my surgery yesterday. As is typical had to get to hospital at the Crack of dawn then had to wait for two hours on the gurney before they took me in to the operating room. I only got to "four" before anesthesia got me. Doc said he thinks he got it all but won't know for sure until the lab results come back. I got a dose of chemo before they got me ready to go home.

So far no pain to speak of. Now I wait for the post op meeting with the doc next week.

Had my surgery yesterday. As is typical had to get to hospital at the Crack of dawn then had to wait for two hours on the gurney before they took me in to the operating room. I only got to "four" before anesthesia got me. Doc said he thinks he got it all but won't know for sure until the lab results come back. I got a dose of chemo before they got me ready to go home.

So far no pain to speak of. Now I wait for the post op meeting with the doc next week.
Hoping for the best for you, Lynn. Glad the surgery itself went smoothly.

oh wow... I have everything crossed for you Llynn

@Llynn

All the best with your recuperation. I hope the chemo does its job. 🤗

Thinking of you @Lynn. Happy there is no pain. Hoping for the best result and your quick recovery! 🌹

I caught hold of the wooden plant support stick, and got a splinter in my thumb and I can't get it out. I've tried needles, tweezers, everything.. but it's not coming out it's lying under the skin too deeply.. and horizontally.. and it hurts.

Does your doctor have a nurse that would take care of it, I vaguely remember a similar sounding splinter in my palm and I think the nurse at the doctor's office got it out real fast, and with no need for an appointment. But that was back in the old days.

I caught hold of the wooden plant support stick, and got a splinter in my thumb and I can't get it out. I've tried needles, tweezers, everything.. but it's not coming out it's lying under the skin too deeply.. and horizontally.. and it hurts. I've now put some Magnesium drawing paste on it and a band-aid in the hope that will draw it out... anyone any better ideas ?
@hollydolly -- I get splinters all the time when working in the garden, building another doghouse with plywood, or from the wooden handle of a wheel barrow. This is how I take care of splinters, but not everyone may like the way I remove them.

My nail clipper has a very sharp tip. It's relatively easy to cut away skin till the splinter becomes visible. Often it's a little bit more complicated than my words suggest. Sometimes it even starts bleeding. Sometimes a needle or a tweezer will help. If it comes to the worst, I'll leave it overnight till yellow puss surrounds the splinter, and then the splinter is easily squeezed out. Last and most importantly, after the splinter has been removed, I keep the wound covered with Neosporin or generic antibiotic to prevent the wound from becoming infected.

My wife helps me sometimes. In the worst case scenario, I'll drive seven miles to my daughter's house. She is an RN Nurse working at a hospital. I never in my life went to an ER for a splinter although I went there on other occasions, like when I broke up a dog fight and needed two dozen stitches in my left arm. Another time, I cut with an electric skill saw across my left thumb and needed stitches. Yes, I was a few times to the ER.

IMGP3531.JPGIMGP3530.JPG

Last edited:
~Around midnight, I started putting away the items I didn’t get to yesterday. As usual, I had to rearrange some things. I also
cleared the clutter off the dining table, which was mostly mail, including large envelopes with my meds in them.

~Balanced my checkbooks.

~My son brought my dinner, stuffed mushrooms, from my favorite diner in the next town. Those things are so darned good! I had one with steamed broccoli covered in I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spray. I could eat that meal every day! There are two mushrooms left; I'll probably freeze them.

~I got calls from three VIPs today…my granddaughter, my BFF who left N.J. and flew home yesterday and a very good (platonic) male friend.

~After dinner, I took a nap. Of course I also watched T.V. and played games on my phone intermittently throughout the day.

Last edited:
It was quite a struggle today. I was determined to have a do nothing day to give myself some space.

My neighbor was banging around in the evening. I'm still guessing (or hoping?) that he's moving out and cleaning up. I'm feeling apprehensive about the next neighbor.

Also worried about my internet connection going down after the tech messing up my account yesterday. It went down this morning but went back up after I reset the modem. I keep telling myself that I can use my mobile data if the internet goes down. I also made a list of things I can do offline and things I've already downloaded. Somehow I'm not finding this comforting.

I did a bunch of relaxation exercises to try to get myself to stop worrying about these things. I wasn't too successful but I tried.

It was quite a struggle today. I was determined to have a do nothing day to give myself some space.

My neighbor was banging around in the evening. I'm still guessing (or hoping?) that he's moving out and cleaning up. I'm feeling apprehensive about the next neighbor.

Also worried about my internet connection going down after the tech messing up my account yesterday. It went down this morning but went back up after I reset the modem. I keep telling myself that I can use my mobile data if the internet goes down. I also made a list of things I can do offline and things I've already downloaded. Somehow I'm not finding this comforting.

I did a bunch of relaxation exercises to try to get myself to stop worrying about these things. I wasn't too successful but I tried.
Sorry you're going through these things Caramel. But it sounds like you've got a very good plan for if you lose internet again. At least you are trying to do things to help yourself in these situations. Some people just give up.

An afternoon I didn't entirely plan but did agree to?? - got picked up by my PMH provider as I live out of town - he took me to my destination X-ray scanning in our one and only hospital. After scans he picked me up again [same driver] and asked do ya wanna got straight back home or come for a ride pickin up more clients? - well don't ask twice so off we went up hill and down dale -

I knew all the spots of course but what fun. Not sure if it was legal but it sure was fun. Had a good natter and laugh along the way and then he finally drove me home - and he had to get out and pee behind my big boab tree outside my front door. That's life in the top end OZ folks!

Back