I Could Probably Google But…

I think of it this way. Once they were alive & knew how they wanted to spend their eternity after they died. Some people believe there's an afterlife while others don't & some don't care either way. No matter what is waiting for us, we should have respect for the dead.

I think of it this way. Once they were alive & knew how they wanted to spend their eternity after they died. Some people believe there's an afterlife while others don't & some don't care either way. No matter what is waiting for us, we should have respect for the dead.
Look perhaps but don’t touch. That chit ain’t yours.

Look perhaps but don’t touch. That chit ain’t yours.
I hear that!! :)

giphy.gif

The families of the sailors of the Edmund Fitzgerald petitioned the Canadian Gov't to have the wreck protected after someone photographed the remains of a sailor & offered the picture for viewing to anyone who would ID the body. That petition was granted & in 1999 the wreck site was concecrated as a grave site. No one can dive there with obtaining a permit. Failure to get a permit is an $800,000 fine (US dollars).

This link is to a 30 minute video which is very interesting & give more information on this wreck & another ship. Around 16 minutes gives info artifacts being removed & at 25:40 minutes is the story of the families of the sailors.

As far as the Titanic, that to is the final resting place for some of the passengers who were inside the ship when it went down.

The location of the Titanic was not known until about 1985, hardly investigative worthy.
Isn't it all right that, if we want, we may retrieve the artifacts and return them to the families? I'm not talking about law, I know shipwreck loot and sunken treasure is fair game. I'm talking about moral right. What do you think?

In order to dig up graves in the UK, you need a license. If the grave is 100 years or older, you just need to permission of the landowner. So, an Archeologist would need to apply for a license to go digging up graves.

Isn't it all right that, if we want, we may retrieve the artifacts and return them to the families? I'm not talking about law, I know shipwreck loot and sunken treasure is fair game. I'm talking about moral right. What do you think?
Not always fair game. A state could claim sole or part possession if the treasure was found in its territorial waters. Remember the Atocha/Mel Fisher case, it went to the U.S. Supreme Court, both Florida and the U.S. claimed ownership.

Not always fair game. A state could claim sole or part possession if the treasure was found in its territorial waters. Remember the Atocha/Mel Fisher case, it went to the U.S. Supreme Court, both Florida and the U.S. claimed ownership.
Yes, but government claims are not necessarily just, and we're speaking of justice here. These treasures were owned by someone who truly had every right to them.

Back