I Received an Invitation

As I'm 76 at the end of this week and also being treated for Acute Myeloid Leukaemia, I am having my booster jab on Friday.
I have actually caught Covid three times with decreasing symptoms each time, little different common cold symptoms.

Despite my trepidation, I am now planning to get the shingles vaccine. I've read some accounts here on the forum about it not being the most pleasant experience, but what I've read and know of people who have had shingles, that is waaaay worse. My "first mind" is telling me I should go ahead and get that vaccine.
I've been trying to decide whether or not get it too; I need to get going on it, as you said having shingles itself is supposed to be horrendous.

Pneumonia has a vaccine now but doesn't prevent pneumonia caused by Covid? Does anyone else sense what I do???
There’s always been more than one type of pneumonia and the vaccine has never covered all the varieties. I know this because in my late 40’s I got pneumonia and that’s the sickest I have ever been.

Then I developed asthma so I take the pneumonia vaccine every 10 years but it’s no guarantee I won’t get another type of pneumonia.

There’s always been more than one type of pneumonia and the vaccine has never covered all the varieties. I know this because in my late 40’s I got pneumonia and that’s the sickest I have ever been.

Then I developed asthma so I take the pneumonia vaccine every 10 years but it’s no guarantee I won’t get another type of pneumonia.
One thing that swayed me to take the pneumonia vaccine is that my sister had it twice and she was very sick with it. We're half sisters and I didn't know her when she had it, but her telling me about it was enough.

My husband & I had the two-shot shingles vax at the same time. The first one made him feel bad & the second one was no problem. I was the opposite, nothing with the first & felt bad on the second. It only lasted about a day or two for each of us with muscle pain, headache & tiredness.

He & I both seen the effects of shingles when one of the ladies who was in the nursing home with my Mom came down with them. She was in her 90's & was very bad for her & she wasn't her self after that.

To get the Spring Vaccine Booster, because of my age,
I am considered vulnerable, since they started, I have
had around 10 already, I think.

Are you still getting vaccinated regularly?

Mike.

It's free, It helps protect you. It may turn out to save your life, or to do nothing. That's the gamble. Do you love life, and the people in your life?

I didn't go for the booster yet, too much going on
and I forgot about it till Monday evening, when I
spoke with my brother on the phone.

Last week, my young brother was admitted to hospital
with a serious UTI, since being admitted, he has been
infected with Covid, so I am getting one this afternoon.

I didn't go to visit him yet as he wasn't recognising his
own son who regularly visits him, so I didn't think that
he would know me, not nice, to say, but he saved me
from catching covid, by his condition, he recognises my
voice on the phone though, so that is a plus!

Mike.

Last edited:
I stay up to date on all my vaccines. I recently got updated tetanus, shingles, covid . Get flu booster every year and will continue to get the covid booster. I had covid last year and was told it was a milder form because I had shots. I prefer to stay safe. My pneumonia is up to date as well, With all the health compromised seniors in my building, best to stay up to date. They bring shot clinics right to the building a couple times a year

Covid booster next week for DH & me. We've had all boosters.

I've had Covid twice - once before vaccinations were available to the general public (Dec 2020), and the second about 6 weeks ago. I'm here totell you, Covid is no laughing party. Despite being in quite good health and having zero underlying conditions other than being 71, it flattened me both times. This last time I took Paxlovid, which was an unpleasant adventure all its own, but it did help me turn the corner quickly, so it did its job.

The vaccines aren't claimed to prevent Covid infections, only to dramatically minimize the likelihood of hospitalization or death. I take them at their word.

Getting boostered costs me nothing beyond a day on the couch the following day.

OK, I got the booster today, Modena Pikevax, I have had
this one before with no problems and the needles are a
lot thinner, I never felt it going in.

The strange thing, that I found is, that nobody can tell me
when this booster becomes active and covers me 100%, I
even called the NHS helpline, who listened to my tale, then
gave me the phone number of a more highly trained pharmacist,
his words, I don't know how good he really is, because I just
couldn't understand his version of English, I got, don't go near
a hospital for 2 weeks, test yourself for covid after one week, to
make sure that you no longer have it, he had to repeat what he
was saying at least 3 times, for me and I am very good at hearing
what is being said to me by many people from other countries,
but this man didn't get his message across very easily.

So the bottom line, I think, is that the vaccine, gives you a mild
dose of covid, at least he said, "To make sure that you no longer
have it".

Mike.

As far as I can tell Moderna SPIKEVAX is an mRNA gene therapy, not a vaccine. It certainly doesn't work by infecting you with a mild case.

mRNA: Vaccine or Gene Therapy? The Safety Regulatory Issues

The mode of action of COVID-19 mRNA vaccines should classify them as gene therapy products (GTPs), but they have been excluded by regulatory agencies.

Surely we all know these things by now?

No it certainly doesn't work by infecting you with a ( very) mild case. Only live vaccines do that. Most vaccines are not live vaccines.

Yes moderna is an mRNA vaccine. As is Pfizer.

That doesn't make them not vaccines.

Back