In general, did your parents and grandparents have long lives?

My paternal grandfather died in his forties due to an accident - Grandmother at 90+. My father died one day short of his 92nd birthday. My unfortunate mother died of suicide in her late thirties but her two sisters lived to 90. Her mother died in her mid 60's of heart disease. Her Dad of cancer in his 50's or 60's - not sure of exact age. I'm 87 in December.

Both my maternal grandparents and my paternal grandfather died before I was born. All, if memory serves died at we would now call middle age. My paternal grandma was in her 70s..died when I was about 3.
My mom had cancer and died at 66. Dad at 79. Men in his family had a history of heart issues, and all but one died of heart related issues.
My oldest brother is still kicking and pretty healthy at 85. My middle brother died at about 65 of heart issues. I am 69 still hanging in there

My grandparents died anywhere from in their 50s to over 100. My mom died at 60, my father at 92 and my only sibling at 39 (melanoma). I have no idea what is going to happen with me. I am 72 and feel like I am doing OK,

My mom's mom was only 50 years old when she passed away. I was only 4 when she died and she was bedridden from when I was born. My Mom's dad was 90 when he passed away. He got lost at a feast day festival and a boy tripped over his body a month after he got lost. My Dad's father passed away when he was 70 years old his Mom died when she was 79 years old. My Mom passed away at 90 years old and my
Dad passed away at 78 years old.

I was reading about Jack Lalanne sometime ago. He had a very strict diet devoid of any processed foods. Also, a daily two hour workout routine. Lived to 96. His brother Norman, did not exercise and ate whatever he pleased. His favorite meal was pork ribs. He lived to 97! Go figure.

Father died at 92, mom at 102, shortly after my sis and I celebrated her birthday. I feel she was just waiting to see us one more time together. Mom lived in FL, sis in NY, and I in CA,

Well, my father made it to 86. My mother is still with us at 89. Both had reasonable health. Sadly, my father could have lived longer if he had made better choices (diabetes). I certainly don't feel I'll make it that far!

It’s all over the place. My mom died at 39, grandmother at 61, grandfather at 99 and g-grandfather 102. Like that box of chocolates, you roll the genetic and environmental dice and you don’t know what you’re gonna get!

I find that notions of what constitutes living to a “ripe old age” have changed during my lifetime, and been kicked upwards. The previous Methuselah of my family, my “Uncle Louie,” died at 88 in the early 1960’s, a lifespan considered unusual at that time. My mother beat him by two years, dying at age 90, and she shunned doctors, had no recommended health screenings, and drank like a fish! My father died at 82, whittled away for years before that by Parkinson’s Disease…

We are fortunate to live in an age of preventive medicine and health screenings. Men of my father’s generation routinely smoked and drank alcohol, and ate “meat and potatoes“ dinners as a steady diet. There was little diagnosis of high blood pressure or high cholesterol then, and no treatment. Often my father at the dinner table would report sudden deaths of co-workers…

Back