Kentucky Derby is May 4th

Here are the entrants as of April 18th and their odds:

2024 Kentucky Derby odds​

I still get goosebumps watching Secretariat win The Belmont Stakes. I remember watching this live on television with my Dad in 1973...I was 7 years old.

I just remember vividly that Dad couldn't stop laughing! He thought it was a magical/ incredible feat!

I still get goosebumps watching Secretariat win The Belmont Stakes. I remember watching this live on television with my Dad in 1973...I was 7 years old.

I just remember vividly that Dad couldn't stop laughing! He thought it was a magical/ incredible feat!

The Derby is my all time favorite race. I'll be glued in front of the TV that day, again.

But the best race is the '73 Belmont when Secretariat won pulling away by those 31 lengths. I don't think anyone will ever see something like that again.

I watch it every year. Like they say it's the best three minutes in sports!

I like to make my pick after I see the horses, but that doesn't give me much time. I think the show spends too much time on the owners and not enough on the horses and jockeys. I always get a chill when they say "Riders up!

A few years ago, I was watching my horse when, at the last few seconds he seemed to -- just stop. Another horse won and took his victory lap and then they announced that the winner had done something illegal and jumped in front of my horse causing him to balk. A third horse was then the winner. But I think my horse should have had a special award for braking and preventing a ten horse pile up.

Anyone else remember that?

I must buy me a hat
s-l1200.jpg

The Kentucky hot brown sandwich has been a tradition since its creation in 1926. Fred K. Schmidt, a chef for Louisville's Brown Hotel, initially made the dish for patrons to enjoy after an evening of dinner and dancing.

kentucky-hot-brown-turkey-sandwich-3061915-hero-01-eba4ea798e3c4de7815fd92bb6b481f8.jpg

The open-face sandwich starts with a slice of toast. The toast is the base for layers of
turkey, sliced tomatoes, a Parmesan cheese sauce (Mornay), and extra grated Parmesan cheese. Place the sandwich on an oven-safe pan or dish and broil it just until the cheese is bubbly and browned. For a traditional hot brown, place two strips of bacon on it just before serving.

These are popular at Kentucky Derby parties.

The Kentucky hot brown sandwich has been a tradition since its creation in 1926. Fred K. Schmidt, a chef for Louisville's Brown Hotel, initially made the dish for patrons to enjoy after an evening of dinner and dancing.

kentucky-hot-brown-turkey-sandwich-3061915-hero-01-eba4ea798e3c4de7815fd92bb6b481f8.jpg

The open-face sandwich starts with a slice of toast. The toast is the base for layers of
turkey, sliced tomatoes, a Parmesan cheese sauce (Mornay), and extra grated Parmesan cheese. Place the sandwich on an oven-safe pan or dish and broil it just until the cheese is bubbly and browned. For a traditional hot brown, place two strips of bacon on it just before serving.

These are popular at Kentucky Derby parties.

I love Hot Brown. I'll get it an any restaurant that serves it when we are in Kentucky. I was just looking at those recipes again last night & was thinking of making that for Derby Day. I still have pecans that have been soaking in bourbon since Christmas for pie.

Back