Low water pressure in hot water tap of kitchen sink

I think Nathan and Naturally are on the right track. It is hot only, isolated to the one tap. Shut the water off, take the hot water handle and control off to remove debris. This could be fixed in a few minutes and no need for a plumber if you do not want to do this yourself - any handyman, handywoman, or handyneighbor could do this.

That’s really cool. The woodmanship on her plumbing looks really good too. It’s a 30 year old house but still looks brand new. What a huge change from her last house. Best decision she ever made. I thought she had a well but she doesn’t.
It looks brand new because it was likely replaced 2 years ago when she had the new faucets installed.

It looks brand new because it was likely replaced 2 years ago when she had the new faucets installed.
Ohhh. I didn’t realize she had it replaced. I was wondering why it looks so new; cause it IS.
Ehhhh still have to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Whatever. I think it’s all helpful. Questions are always good. Without the questions we wouldn’t know that’s she gets cold water fine. We wouldn’t know she’s not on well water.

Last edited:
As a wise man once said, "Aunt Bea, just call the man, call the man!" I also am a woman living alone and I try to fix things on my own but sometimes there is a need for the professional help to fix the problem. Just be in there and watch, ask questions. You might be able to fix it if it happens again.

As a wise man once said, "Aunt Bea, just call the man, call the man!" I also am a woman living alone and I try to fix things on my own but sometimes there is a need for the professional help to fix the problem. Just be in there and watch, ask questions. You might be able to fix it if it happens again.
Agreed. In fact this repair is simple EXCEPT it's in a physically difficult place to get to. Parts may or may not be available and one may not be comfortable going to the plumbing supply as a novice and to try to get parts. AND it concerns water which if it leaks can cause major damage.

If neither of those 2 issues were in play, I would encourage most able body people to try to figure it out on they're own. But in this case a couple hundred bucks for a service call to fix or replace the faucet is well worth the money. And the plumber will look at the cold water supply (if asked) so it doesn't happen on that side too.

The only thing that kinda bother me is the noise she heard or felt ... faintly ...
When I turned on the hot water in the kitchen sink this morning, it ran okay for a few seconds, then then was a faint thump and the flow dropped to a trickle. The cold water pressure is okay. Hot water pressure in the bathroom sink is okay. No leaks in the kitchen that I can determine. What is the likely cause?

I don't know if it's significant, but I noticed when I try to turn the handle on the hot water, there's more resistance.
faucet cartridge.jpg

There are several things that could be the cause of the faucet handle resistance to change. The handle threads could being stripped or any part of the cartridge body being damaged or misaligned.

The stops (3) must align properly to allow proper flow. Or seats and springs (2) could be damaged or dirty. The black ring above the (1) is a rubber o ring that could be broken or out of place. That is a commonly replaceable part on the cartridge.

If he needs to replace the cartridge I would have him sell you a spare if available. Hopefully you get this squared away before the weekend.

Yeah, i'm still betting that a seal/o-ring gave out. That also explains the clunk she heard when it went bad, a burst of pressure blowing the seal as it failed, now it's lodged in there buggering things up.
That sounds like the most logical thing. Pieces of mineral deposit probably would break apart before getting to the faucet.

I didn't hear back from that contractor by email, so I called the number on the business card. It rang 3 times, then there was a busy signal. An online search and the BBB site said he's OOB. That was fast - I just had him here last summer. I wonder what happened.

Back