Microsoft will start charging for Windows 10 updates starting October 2025.

MarkinPhx

Just a heads up for those still using Windows 10 and have a PC that was built pre 2018. Microsoft announced the commercial rate but has not announced what it will be charging individual consumers . I know that October 2025 is a ways off but it is something to be aware of if you haven't switched to 11 yet. My guess is that they will get plenty of pushback from this and will not end up charging individual consumers but that is just wild speculation on my part.

Microsoft reveals how much businesses will have to pay to keep using Windows 10 securely

This link is from The Verge which is a safe and reliable website regarding tech news....

I replaced our Dell laptop, which was loaded because I used it for a lot of my work. It had started developing a problems and one day it just would not work. Because I was retired and didn't need a super powerful machine I opted for a Lenovo ThinkPad, which came with Windows 10 preloaded and will not upgrade to Windows 11.

In general it serves my needs, but the MS Edge browser with CoPilot is terrible. When I do a web search that feature takes off on its own and just keeps filling the screen. I still haven't found a way to turn the feature off. When this one fades away or the Windows 10 makes it obsolete I will definitely go with an Apple laptop simply because of the seamless compatibility with my iPhone. Plain and simple THEY WORK

Nice of you to give the heads up Mark, even though people have a year and a half to get the update done. I'm a new Dell user, coming off of years of being a Mac person. Just got my computer in February and it came with Windows 11. @TennVet I know what you mean about Co-Pilot. I just X it out but it is annoying that it pops up every time I log in. I'd also like to find a way to turn that feature off. Wouldn't be surprised if YouTube has a video on how to do it or there are instructions online, but I haven't taken the time to check yet.

Just a heads up for those still using Windows 10 and have a PC that was built pre 2018. Microsoft announced the commercial rate but has not announced what it will be charging individual consumers . I know that October 2025 is a ways off but it is something to be aware of if you haven't switched to 11 yet. My guess is that they will get plenty of pushback from this and will not end up charging individual consumers but that is just wild speculation on my part.

Microsoft reveals how much businesses will have to pay to keep using Windows 10 securely

This link is from The Verge which is a safe and reliable website regarding tech news....
Thanks for the heads up. I have a 2010 HP 17 inch laptop that is still working and running windows 10. Maybe I should go back and reinstall windows 7. Really doesn't matter since I have several laptops. It's just that I like the size and power of that beast.

Thanks for the heads up. I have a 2010 HP 17 inch laptop that is still working and running windows 10. Maybe I should go back and reinstall windows 7. Really doesn't matter since I have several laptops. It's just that I like the size and power of that beast.
There is still a lot of time to see what is going to happen. If they do go through with their plans to charge for security updates, it doesn't mean that you still couldn't use Windows 10, you would just have to pay for the security updates. You would still be able to use 10 without the updates.

Will they be allowing people to turn off updates on Windows 10 then? I seem to recall that updates were mandatory (meaning they couldn't be turned off) on Windows 10.

I am a Mac user now for 10years but I have to say that if I could have Windows XP back with the protection of today I would download in a flash. Best version ever !!
I agree. We had XP on one of our earlier home computers, and never seemed to have a problem with it.

Will they be allowing people to turn off updates on Windows 10 then? I seem to recall that updates were mandatory (meaning they couldn't be turned off) on Windows 10.
I am amused by that comment. MS can quit supporting the product, and maybe it will even become corrupt or inoperable, but they can't force you to use something and certainly not to pay for something you don't want. Bill Gates has yet to become king, and in light of his behavior I doubt he will be.

I am amused by that comment. MS can quit supporting the product, and maybe it will even become corrupt or inoperable, but they can't force you to use something and certainly not to pay for something you don't want. Bill Gates has yet to become king, and in light of his behavior I doubt he will be.
I was thinking of this back in 2015. You couldn't disable updates in Windows 10. Maybe they've changed it since then. At the time, there was a big uproar because updates were automatic and couldn't be disabled. The only option to not get updating was to stop using Windows 10.

https://www.howtogeek.com/219166/yo...-or-delay-windows-updates-on-windows-10-home/

I'm sure you are correct. When support for XP was suspended you could still use it but did not get updates. However you still got the security packs, which actually kept it running safely for the average home user.

Sorry, not applicable to me...Linux.

HI Nathan...I have a Mac Monterey desktop which is fine and never gets into trouble but talking about XP and Llnux takes me back to lighter times. I got the Apple in 2015.
Frankly, I am just bored and need something new for the old brain cells. I have an 8GB CruzerFlash Drive USB gasping to be used.

When I had Windows I did have Ubuntu installed and remember the simplicity of just regular computing but I never really got too involved. Now I think I would like to get on to Linux again but wondering if you would recommend which distribution would be best with Mac OS.
Thanks for any info on that.

Tell me more about Linux.

Linux is a 'descendant' of UNIX, and like other modern computer operating systems Linux comes with a graphical user interface that's easy for a user to navigate their file system and software applications. Linux is free, users can download the installation package and create installation media themselves, or buy Linux installation DVDs or USB drives ready made.

HI Nathan...I have a Mac Monterey desktop which is fine and never gets into trouble but talking about XP and Llnux takes me back to lighter times. I got the Apple in 2015.
Frankly, I am just bored and need something new for the old brain cells. I have an 8GB CruzerFlash Drive USB gasping to be used.

When I had Windows I did have Ubuntu installed and remember the simplicity of just regular computing but I never really got too involved. Now I think I would like to get on to Linux again but wondering if you would recommend which distribution would be best with Mac OS.
Thanks for any info on that.
Are you considering to do a dual boot Mac OS and Linux? It's been a long time since I did, but looking at the instructions the process appears the same.
As for "which distribution" I would say that the biggest difference is the "windows dressing"...the graphical user interface, or desktop environment.
A couple popular distributions are Ubuntu and Mint, which is based on Ubuntu. Installing a boot manager such as rEFInd on your Mac will make dual booting painless and simple.

However, if you just want to take that Cruser flash drive and make a Linux installer from a .ISO file, I would recommend downloading Ventoy to create the installer media with the flash drive. There are other ways to create a flash drive installer, but setting up a flash drive with Ventoy is my personal favorite, as I love simplicity. Using Rufus in Windows to create bootable media is popular with Windows users.

Last edited:
Are you considering to do a dual boot Mac OS and Linux? It's been a long time since I did, but looking at the instructions the process appears the same.
As for "which distribution" I would say that the biggest difference is the "windows dressing"...the graphical user interface, or desktop environment.
A couple popular distributions are Ubuntu and Mint, which is based on Ubuntu. Installing a boot manager such as rEFInd on your Mac will make dual booting painless and simple.

However, if you just want to take that Cruser flash drive and make a Linux installer from a .ISO file, I would recommend downloading Ventoy to create the installer media with the flash drive. There are other ways to create a flash drive installer, but setting up a flash drive with Ventoy is my personal favorite, as I love simplicity. Using Rufus in Windows to create bootable media is popular with Windows users.

I can partition and dual boot on Mac so assuming I can install directly from USB
At one time I did install W10 and the dual boot was no problem.
I did dump it as the download only installed basic files not the whole system and MS wanted $350 to get 'Live"
I am assuming these downloads are free.
Thinking I might go with Ubuntu again but first I have to clean up the disc.
I forgot I had some really old stuff on it .
Will let you know when I get Ubuntu up and running
Thanks again.

Now that Google and MSN are once again exploiting the masses Meta/Facebook is going for the monthly fee. Glad I stopped. Pay for NOT! using your posts or personal info, isn't that a form of 'Blackmail' or ransom. Everybody seems to be getting on the subscription fee bandwagon.

Last edited:
I can partition and dual boot on Mac so assuming I can install directly from USB
At one time I did install W10 and the dual boot was no problem.
A while back during my distro hopping days I installed 6 different Distros to test 'dual booting'. Success but OMG what a confusing fiasco that was. That only lasted about 24 hours after which I got my thinking cap on straight. I've only occasionally gone that route (now just 2 different distros at a time), I guess my age & memory isn't what it used to be.

It looks like Microsoft is going to start pushing notifications to Windows 10 users to upgrade Windows 11.

"About a week ago, we learned that Microsoft has begun to show full-screen ads in Windows 10, urging customers to upgrade to Windows 11 even though there is still more than a year to go before the former runs out of support. This move drew a lot of attention considering the company had come under fire in the same week for the slow performance of the Start menu, which had also begun showing advertisements for apps. However, it seems like the Redmond tech firm is not done notifying users about how they can improve their Windows experience, as can be determined from a recent Windows 10 Insider update."

Microsoft will now urge you to ditch local accounts on Windows 10

What actual difference is there if you do not get updates? Such a vague word . What information are in the update? No one ever explains it.
I have a Dell 10. Wish It had a lighter touch to keyboard

Back