Mitch McConnell stops talking at new conference

I'm in no hurry for our older politicians, on either side of the aisle, to retire. I'm afraid they'll be replaced by someone younger, and worse.
What do you think would be bad about someone younger?

60 is younger than a lot of them. 50 is younger than half of them. We've never had a congress as old as the one we have now, and the country has never had as many simultaneous issues as it's had for the past 3 decades.

Have you seen Diane Feinstein lately. She’s pretty pitiful. There are a number of politicians who should retire, but don’t want to let go of the power.

Exactly. No one else would get away with thinking Russia's in war with Iraq. It's not like Ukraine is a hard word to remember. :rolleyes:
I kind of understand his confusion.

Russia contributed to untold suffering for millions of Syrian civilians beginning in 2015, when Syria was having a civil war. Russia bombed the hell out of Aleppo and left other cities in ruins, too. The Kremlin wanted Bashar Assad to stay in power.

Russia succeeded, and Assad demonstrates his gratitude in various ways. So, Putin does have clout in the middle-east, and that is problematic for the US and Europe.

Have you seen Diane Feinstein lately. She’s pretty pitiful. There are a number of politicians who should retire, but don’t want to let go of the power.
It's sad the way some hang on when it's obvious their health is in serious decline. It is a pitiful way to end a prominent career.

One of the currently licensed pilots that I would never fly with........Harrison Ford. He has had a number of close calls in recent years, including landing on the wrong runway, and taxiing across an active runway, despite being warned TWICE by the tower, not to do so https://www.wideopencountry.com/rare-harrison-ford-airplane/#:~:text=Mistakenly taking the taxiway for,call to air traffic control.

He needs to hang up his flying career before he kills somebody, including himself. JImB.
Just to correct the record, he didn't land on the wrong runway, he landed on a taxiway. Also not good.

Earlier this week I wondered whether I had had a minor stroke. My eyes were blurry and playing tricks on me and I was very wobbly on my feet. It went on for some hours and a sleep did not banish the effect. Eventually I realised that it was a silent migraine - neurological symptoms but minus the headache. I have had one before but this is not a common occurrence.

In my younger years I suffered from stress-induced full on migraines. My previous week had definitely been quite stressful. I'm not suggesting that Sen McConnell had a silent migraine but I do think diagnosing his health without having the opportunity to examine him is likely to be wrong. Leave that to the medical team. I also think he is entitled to his privacy unless he continues to lose control.
OMGoodness Warrigal. I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious but had it been a stroke, delaying getting to a hospital may have been dangerous. I hope you don't get those feelings again.

This is bad news for Mr. Biden and Mr. Trump as it makes the public aware of how suddenly age related issues can strike. That’s about as political as I will get.

Last edited:
Yeah... she's 90. Pelosi is 83. You'd think they'd want to step down before all dignity is lost.
Always keep in mind that the people elect them and then re-elect them. Therefore, we must assume they are OK with having her as one of their two Senators. It’s not like her age was a secret.

As has been said already ... I do not believe in a [term] limit . I believe we have that , in the form of lections. If a person is doing the job as his/her constituents support, then by allmeans they should be re-elected. If they are failing in their actions, then they [in all likely-hood] will not be re-elected.

But I do support an age limit , for all the reasons we all know. IMO, 80.

One interesting thing about McConnell is that he had polio as a youth. That may be one reason he fell a few months ago. I understand polio can come back to bite you in the later years.

He re minds me of a coworker I knew back in my 20’s. He was about 5 years older than I. One day he told me “Brookswood, if I had been born 5 years later like you were, I would never had caught this disease. Count yourself lucky.” I do.

Need both term limits and an age limit.

5terms/10years in the House of Representatives; 2terms/12years in the Senate. 1term/6years for President. Set the age limit at 60.

US Military service is capped at age 60, exception being a "by name" request for extension by the US President. If congress is going to cap government military service at 60, then they should live by the same ruleset.

Some countries require a gap term after so many years. For Example, we might say that after 12 total years serving, the person must take at least four years off, and then could run again. Of course, the temptation to hand out a few favors so they could sail through those four years, would be huge. Nothing is perfect. I would also like a fixed term of about 24 years for Supreme Court Justices. After that, they can teach, make speeches, practice law, retire, or open an ice cream stand.

The thing about old, smart and fit people who serve term after term is that they set the rules that our children and grandchildren have to live with. An eighty year old will never try to compete in the global market place or have and raise a child. Old people like ourselves think we know it all…and we do not. Sixty five is the very very oldest you should be able to serve on the supreme court or congress…or president. Not our world folks.

Not our world folks.
I think we all share this world as long as we're alive. When I was young, college age, my friends and I were ready to throw out all the standards our parents had honored. We thought our (often impractical and short sighted ) ideas were brilliant and original. As we got older, after we tried our new ideas and failed a few times, we learned to respect some of those old ideas more.

We have senators and congressmen and women who seem to be past it, but we also have some young ones who rarely show up for the votes. I guess they are using that youthful energy somewhere else. What worries me most are not the stodgy old guard who may seem stagnant at times, but some of the new young ones who seem wildly illogical.

I think we need both old and young in government. Experience is a good teacher and older people can bring that to the table just as young people can bring new ideas.

I would like to see the 2-party system fade away. I think all politicians should work for the betterment of the people and not follow the party’s doctrine. I think by doing that, we would see more harmony among members of Congress. Isn’t that why we elect them?

There should be an age limit for the Supreme Court as well. Or at least, a term limit.

Back