Much Underrated Movies

Yeah, that's the general consensus. I'm ok with not getting clarification on that; I was happy enough that the sequel was very watchable.
I enjoyed the sequel as well. When I first saw 2001 I had difficulty with the whole thing. But watched it again after seeing 2010 and found a better understanding of the first

I enjoyed the sequel as well. When I first saw 2001 I had difficulty with the whole thing. But watched it again after seeing 2010 and found a better understanding of the first
same. But the 2001 Odyssey was such an awesome visual spectacle, it was overwhelming. I didn't actually question the numerous weird events and plot-points until days later. And then I was all "Wait...what actually happened?" 🤪

same. But the 2001 Odyssey was such an awesome visual spectacle, it was overwhelming. I didn't actually question the numerous weird events and plot-points until days later. And then I was all "Wait...what actually happened?" 🤪

Yes, what did happen? I remember the lady with the velcro shoes at the beginning. Then Dave trying to incapacitate HAL. Nothing in between.

Even if you didn't watch it yet, this isn't a spoiler...

One of the main "burning questions" from 2001 that wasn't answered for me was "Who's the Star Baby and what does it mean?"

If you figured that one out, I'm still curious.
I was watching a video that explained the Star Baby was the astronaut himself-- he was an old man then he looked toward the bed and saw himself in bed dying then he became the Star Baby I think in the book as he ( as the Star baby) looked down on earth he saw all the space weapons and waved his hand and the weapons vanished but of course the movie does not explain that in the narrative.
2001, while groundbreaking in many ways, has several layers within it and yet even if you read the book you're kind of stuck drawing your own conclusions as to what's going on
I wish they'd have explained a bit more on the monolith that was found on the moon. The book explained it was a warning alarm to the universe that man has taken the next step and has learned to travel into space. It let everyone in the universe know this primitive beast they felt was a danger was now loose.
Time to start locking the back door.
Watching the news these days those aliens were smart to have an alarm on the moon because we ARE dangerous
Not all of us to be sure but enough of us are not the best examples of humanity

I was watching a video that explained the Star Baby was the astronaut himself-- he was an old man then he looked toward the bed and saw himself in bed dying then he became the Star Baby I think in the book as he ( as the Star baby) looked down on earth he saw all the space weapons and waved his hand and the weapons vanished but of course the movie does not explain that in the narrative.
2001, while groundbreaking in many ways, has several layers within it and yet even if you read the book you're kind of stuck drawing your own conclusions as to what's going on
I wish they'd have explained a bit more on the monolith that was found on the moon. The book explained it was a warning alarm to the universe that man has taken the next step and has learned to travel into space. It let everyone in the universe know this primitive beast they felt was a danger was now loose.
Time to start locking the back door.
Watching the news these days those aliens were smart to have an alarm on the moon because we ARE dangerous
Not all of us to be sure but enough of us are not the best examples of humanity
That video was probably the video-maker's conclusion. As far as I know, Stanley Kubrick never explained it. Same with the monoliths.

I didn't read the book, but sounds like Kubrick honored Arthur C. Clarke's liking for this novel's mysteries and his desire to let the audience to draw its own conclusions.

Some of the 1950s drive-in fare remains watchable. This one has Frank Gorshin ("The Riddler") in an early role. Also creepy aliens and a drunken cow.

Although it was chosen as one of the best movies for people 50 and over by AARP (probably in 2001 or 2002), Monsoon Wedding was not widely promoted. Grossing only 30 million means it was not widely viewed despite it's awards. I loved it and watched the movie twice when it was available on T.V. From Wikipedia:
"Monsoon Wedding premiered in the Marché du Film section of the 2001 Cannes Film Festival[12][13] and went on to win the Golden Lion at the Venice International Film Festival and receive a Golden Globe Award nomination while grossing over $30 million internationally at the box office.[10] A musical based on the film premiered on Broadway in April 2014.[14] In 2017, IndieWire named it the 19th best romance of the 21st century.[15]"

Back