My doctor, Medicare, my supplemental insurance... just venting

seadoug

Sorry, this is so long but this whole situation is strange.

So I mentioned some time ago that it took me from November to February to be enrolled in Medicare Part B because I had been previously insured under my hubby's policy and even though I submitted all the correct forms (including one from his employer) they continued to claim I hadn't had insurance when I turned 65. After many calls and a letter from my insurance company claiming I was insured I was finally enrolled.

I was happy when I read that Medicare covers annual "wellness checks" so last week I went to my doctor for a blood test to start my physical. His assistant told me at the time that I needed to call my insurance company (UHC) and let them know he should be listed as my Primary Care Physician. Not wanting to deal with someone at an 800 number, I went on the site and searched for his name. It was not listed in 31 pages of General Practitioners within my 5 mile radius. So, I then did a search and his name came up. I clicked on it and looked for some prompt to add him as my PCP but none was available.

I called UHC on Monday, explained the situation, and sat on the phone for 50 minutes because the gentleman I spoke with couldn't find a way to make my doctor my PCP. At first he couldn't even FIND my doctor on their site. He then found him and even tried to manually add him but could not. He said there was a "technical issue". He called both my doctor's office, who indicated he was in-network, and another department who was "level 2". At the 50-minute point he came back on the phone and said it was done.

I saw my doctor today for my results and relayed the story. He thanked me for pushing for this and told me that UHC had clearly taken his name off the list to push other doctors within their network. I also shared my Medicare story and he said his wife went through the same experience and he literally had to lie for her to get her enrolled. I've been going to my doctor for years. I like him. We are similar in age and he is thorough during my visits. He knows my health history. It is a shame an insurance company would try to steer someone elsewhere.

In short, I view our healthcare system as a mess due to greed and bureaucracy. It needs an overhaul, but I don't think that will happen in my lifetime. Thanks for letting me vent.

I am about to switch over to Medicare, my Advantage plan is with Aetna through the insurance available to survivors of federal employees. I think it will be good but I do expect to have some problems with the switch over.

Everyone has been checked, all of my doctors are on my plan but if someone somewhere pushes on wrong button all hell breaks loose. It can be something as simple as hitting the wrong number on your birthdate, name or ID cards. I am always the person that gets to a register and has the unmarked item, I get the wrong order at the restaurant, I trip and fall over a twig on the ground.

I just take it for what it is, and my name is not even Newton!!

I am about to switch over to Medicare, my Advantage plan is with Aetna through the insurance available to survivors of federal employees. I think it will be good but I do expect to have some problems with the switch over.

Everyone has been checked, all of my doctors are on my plan but if someone somewhere pushes on wrong button all hell breaks loose. It can be something as simple as hitting the wrong number on your birthdate, name or ID cards. I am always the person that gets to a register and has the unmarked item, I get the wrong order at the restaurant, I trip and fall over a twig on the ground.

I just take it for what it is, and my name is not even Newton!!
My advice is that you ask Aetna to provide a letter showing your period of coverage and when it ended. My letter from UHC under my hubby's coverage is what sealed the deal. The other forms didn't seem to work, even though they are the ones required by Medicare.

I had to go to the Office of Personel Management first. They make sure everything is set up correctly with Medicare (I have my card). Then they have to send my file to Aetna for the federal advantage plan. That is the last part I am waiting on.

I know everyone thinks that the government does not get things done quickly. I have been through two deaths and they did everything very fast, sent death funds, retirement funds etc. in about 2 weeks time. I have not had any issues dealing with them since my husband died 14 years ago.

I also was the executor of our best friend's estate, who also worked for the USPS. That also went smoothly. They paid out his death benefit and retirement funds directly to my son who was named in the will.

It is common for me to have problems with just about everything so I dot my I's and cross my T's. I keep records on everything. I have spiral notebooks that I date all calls, what time, person I spoke with. I have all relevant emails saved on two computers. I am just nervous about making sure I have organized everything to make a smooth transition.

One of those crazy question starts out with do you believe. Going on record as saying I am not a believer.

Back