New Old Guy Looking to Join the Party...

Hi everyone!
I'm a bit overwhelmed and surprised to get greetings from all over the world. Thank you!

Depending the time/place/person, I've been called William, Bill, Andy, Willy, and so on. And of course "Mobilman" when on various forums. To sum it up, I'm comfortable with any of them.

@Mobilman44 Hello, good to have you join us!

full

Hi William. Welcome to our unique little corner of society. We are delighted you have chosen to join us here, and we look forward to your perspective on many topics. Like you, we all come from different walks of life, and offer our views regarding the myriad of subjects that get tossed into the arena. Hope you enjoy and take part in the banquet of varied opinions.

Hi again,
I Just installed a personal avatar, and I'd like to tell a little about it. This is a 1/87 (HO to model railroaders) scale model of my Grandmother's home in Anna, Illinois as it stood in the early 1950s. It was a simple house with living room, kitchen, and two bedrooms and a cellar. No, there was no bathroom or hot water, but it did have a two hole outhouse in the back.

The house was on the outskirts of town, sitting just across the road from the Illinois Central RR tracks. My Dad and Aunts were born here, and I loved to visit and get out of Chicago any time I could. I love trains, and enjoyed watching the fast brown and orange streamliners flying buy, or the steam locomotives (thru 1958) slugging along with many loaded hopper cars filled with coal.

Those were some of my best "good ol days" and I will cherish them forever.

Welcome William! Wow- a two hole in the 50s! I lived in a big city then- but now I live in a isolated farm community but I am sure there might still be some one and two holers around here in the Boonies.

This is a great site! Thanks for joining!

We lived near Logan Square until 1958, and near Humbolt Park until 1964. Went to Lane Tech (1/62) and then Wright JC, and then nights at DePaul U. Those neighborhoods were pretty good back then, but not so much in later years.

Hi again,
I Just installed a personal avatar, and I'd like to tell a little about it. This is a 1/87 (HO to model railroaders) scale model of my Grandmother's home in Anna, Illinois as it stood in the early 1950s. It was a simple house with living room, kitchen, and two bedrooms and a cellar. No, there was no bathroom or hot water, but it did have a two hole outhouse in the back.

The house was on the outskirts of town, sitting just across the road from the Illinois Central RR tracks. My Dad and Aunts were born here, and I loved to visit and get out of Chicago any time I could. I love trains, and enjoyed watching the fast brown and orange streamliners flying buy, or the steam locomotives (thru 1958) slugging along with many loaded hopper cars filled with coal.

Those were some of my best "good ol days" and I will cherish them forever.
welcoem MM44 - could you live there again?

Funny thing, especially now that my parents are gone, I've had no desire to move back to Illinois. I've been here (north of Houston) since '81, and expect to be here for the duration. To be really open, if I were 10 years younger and my wife (and I) was in better health, we likely would have moved - maybe to the Texas hill country.

Welcome Mobilman from Aus

Attachments

• Hawker tourists.jpg
    Hawker tourists.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 1

Back