New York Cities Midtown Congestion Pricing Program

I wonder, does it reduce traffic or simply raise a great deal of money?
well we still have a huge amount of traffic in London but there has been a big reduction in the amount of traffic going into London..those who would have normally driven get a train or tube.... and others don't bother going at all... however they're raking in Millions ..last year alone...JUST in congestion charges they made £307 million which is $591 Million AUS ..this is just the revenue for London...no other cities

The money must pay for the MTA Union to fund itself. Also, for all the lawsuits against MTA for various accidents on the subway, buses, stations. Majority of MTA funding is for this; actually running the MTA costs less.

My son's route takes him ONE BLOCK into the taxed area for one minute a day and must pay in full anyway. If he takes a different route, he gets a huge toll. As he said, he'd be a millionaire in Kansas (any of those states) and is a pauper in Manhattan. Well, DIL does go to Broadway shows a lot! And, they are dedicated to the parks and museums, so for them it is "worth" it??

The money must pay for the MTA Union to fund itself. Also, for all the lawsuits against MTA for various accidents on the subway, buses, stations. Majority of MTA funding is for this; actually running the MTA costs less.

My son's route takes him ONE BLOCK into the taxed area for one minute a day and must pay in full anyway. If he takes a different route, he gets a huge toll. As he said, he'd be a millionaire in Kansas (any of those states) and is a pauper in Manhattan. Well, DIL does go to Broadway shows a lot! And, they are dedicated to the parks and museums, so for them it is "worth" it??

You're right, all this Midtown pay by plate charges and raised MTA Surface Transit bus lane violations are just the start of Madam H's Billion dollar money grab. Now the new R211T trainsets are replacing all the R60+ series IRT, IND and BMT trainsets. Problem is like AMTRAK style foreign Acela trainsets they are basically powered on each end of the train only with no powered cars in between the entire trainset. Even if one car has a problem the entire trainset goes out of service.

Governor Hochul Launches First Open Gangway Train Into Service and Announces 1,000 Subway Cars Now Have Cameras

R211 (New York City Subway car) - Wikipedia

Now the stressed out subway riders get free music.

Money for nothing and your music's free. Only in New York

Cameras won't allay fears of assault. Guess they didn't have enough money to increase the police presence. They missed the mark on the safety issue, but they have music, SMH.

Like the railroad outward and now inward facing cab cameras they are not being constantly monitored. They are stored digitaly and extracted to view a reported incident. Before the 9/11 hero Mayor G all 3 PD's were independant of each other so if a guy wanted to be a cop for NYPD he could apply for them. If he wanted to be a NYC Transit cop he could apply to them and the same for guys who wanted to apply to be a NYC Housing cop. Now there is only NYPD so if you apply now you could be assigned anywhere. Only positive to this is no more solo post jobs.

Are the "thru" expressways exempt? Limited access highways moving people through the city but not exiting the highway within city limits? Anyone exiting within the limits would, I assume , would be charged the fee.

It's just Manhattan south of 60th. There are ways to cut through Manhattan to use local streets so those routes will be taxed, but the other 4 boroughs and north of 60th in Manhattan are not taxed.

It's just Manhattan south of 60th. There are ways to cut through Manhattan to use local streets so those routes will be taxed, but the other 4 boroughs and north of 60th in Manhattan are not taxed.
Getting off Koch Bridge is 59th St. Major rip off for One Stinking Block. Residents of UES should not have to pay this ransom.

I don't know what you mean by "it", but I can assure you "it" was actually a LOT worse in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Things started to turn as the crack epidemic wore itself out,
No it wasn't. I lived in Manhattan and Brooklyn. When I see the news about New York City, the congestion is a lot worse than it was. More people and more cars. When I lived in New York City, no one ever said that it had the worst congestion in the U.S. The 2 summers I spent in Los Angeles, I saw a hell of a lot more traffic. Only now we are hearing about things like congestion pricing. No one ever thought about that in the 1970's and 1980's. It's much worse now.

Back