Nodding off anytime

I'll be 90 shortly. I nap, or don't nap, without giving it much thought. Given my family's somewhat short lifespan, I consider myself lucky to still be awake and here at all.

Naps have come on slowly, over the last few years and I've been retired for 32 years, so my regimented days are far behind me. I enjoy my peaceful "sleep times" during the day and as long as my wife wakes me at mealtime - -I'm happy.

AS part of my doc's pill selections, B12 is included, but it seems to have little effect on my napping.

As an aside, my much younger wife (only 87) also enjoys nodding off from time to time. :)

I usually lie down a couple times during the day, however I
almost never sleep on those occasions....wish I could.
Sometimes just laying down and resting for a bit can be all you need. I love my naps and they never interfere with falling asleep later at night, but I find that many times, I have a heck of a time getting going again after the nap. It's like I'm too relaxed to get busy and accomplish things. The only downside I guess.

In 2022 I was undergoing 5-day-per-week radiation treatment for squamous cell carcinoma (base of my tongue and right side of my neck). During this 7-week treatment, I also received two infusions of a "lite" version C-chemo infusion. At halfway through my (successful) treatment, my hemoglobin count had gone down to about 40% normal. A second chemo oncologist stepped in and agreed to stop the chemo portion of my treatments.

I'd been prescribed oral iron supplementation, but I made my own decision to go from the gluconate iron form to the polysaccharide form (much more absorbable iron in each pill). I also started taking both B12 and folic acid. Subsequent to my treatment, I experienced after-effects of the treatment itself. Fatigue was a big one, but there were four or five other ones, most of which persisted for five or six months, some longer.

Of course, I was getting tested every three months: fiber-optic throat scope, blood test, and CT scan. My blood test in the first couple of those test points was still showing anemia, though it had come up to about 77% & 85% of normal. Energy & stamina increased accordingly. By my third test point, my hemoglobin was in the low-normal range, and has continued to rise.

Now I find I only have the desire to nap during a day if I've over-exerted myself in the early part of the day, or if I don't have something engaging my interest & attention. But one thing that's interesting to me about the blood tests is that my doctor, finding the other blood scales to have been consistently in the normal range, is only interested in my hemoglobin count, my iron level, and my B12.

I still take the polysaccharide iron, but whereas I initially took it every other day, I now take it every 3-5 days. I make sure I get B12 daily, and folic acid supplement about once a week. Other than that, I eat a good diet and do take a general daily vitamin supplement.

Last edited:
I sometimes fall asleep very early as I am an early riser. If I am lucky, I get 7 hours, broken sleep. Usually, it is less.
I have found myself falling asleep on the couch and I wake up when I drop the remote. :sleep::LOL:
LOL. I wake up when I drop my cell phone. :LOL:

Back