Please, does anyone else lose all hope?

It is a reality in many places.
"It is one year to the day since a 22-year-old Iranian Kurdish woman named Mahsa Amini died in a hospital days after the morality police arrested her in Tehran. They said she had violated Iran's Islamic dress code that requires women to wear a headscarf or hijab and cover themselves in loose full length clothing.Sep 16, 2023
What's changed for women in Iran one year after Mahsa ... - PBS:"
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/w...is one year to,in loose full length clothing.

I watched an endless video (seemed endless) of a woman being stoned to her death. I think that was a dress-code violation too.

I'm pretty close to the point of losing all hope - especially for the world. Between the wars and the maniacs with nuclear devices, over population, extreme weather situations, etc., etc., I just don't see anything good in the future.
Back in the '60s, the Kingston Trio put out a song called "The Merry Minuet". It was very appropriate for those times. When they toured colleges in the early 2000s, many thought the song was new, for it applied to today's situations. I'll play it every once in awhile and it almost makes me smile.....
I try to actively avoid much of the news now. When I was younger, I used to think I could actually DO something to make the world locally and globally a better place. But the last 4-8 years. I have lost that opinion of how things can get better. The power at the top of the food chain is much too powerful, IMO. The media is far too addicted to its own set of rules and its own value system, IMO.

Therefore, if you don't like what the media is selling, just don't buy it. Read books. Find a way to laugh daily. Help children in some way. Plant a garden.

I try to actively avoid much of the news now. When I was younger, I used to think I could actually DO something to make the world locally and globally a better place. But the last 4-8 years. I have lost that opinion of how things can get better. The power at the top of the food chain is much too powerful, IMO. The media is far too addicted to its own set of rules and its own value system, IMO.
I also get discouraged and overwhelmed by the constant barrage of negative news, but staying informed is crucial for making positive change, both locally and globally.

While it's true that powerful forces at the top of the "food chain" can seem insurmountable, history is full of examples of ordinary people coming together to create change. Grassroots movements, activism, and collective action can all have a significant impact.

There are alternative sources of information that focus on solutions-based journalism or stories of people working to make a difference. Taking a break from the news can help to prevent feelings of despair and maintain mental health too.

No. I'm doing really well. The world was supposed to end again yesterday because of the full moon and I bet on Wednesday and here I am. I'm on a roll. I think some people should stop betting on things like this because it makes them look so silly afterwards. How can some still believe this stuff?

smile whites.jpg

Without going into too much detail, I have been there. It escalated for a very long time and it got to a point where I felt more comfortable living in what I refer to now as a "blanket of darkness". I put on a very good act when with others but when I was alone i welcomed wrapping that blanket around me. I did finally reach to that point where I had lost all hope.

Looking back I think one of the key things that made me feel that way is that I thought I was the only one in this entire world who felt such a way. I thought to myself that sure, other people have issues and such but no one else on this planet could possibly feel the same as I do. Obviously I was wrong with that thinking. After a certain incident, I did go to therapy and that started my journey out of the black hole I had been living in, well since I was young. And finding out that I was not the only one who had felt that way helped me a lot.

That was quite awhile ago and now I do not seek that blanket at all. If I do feel that darkness coming I now have ways to avoid it (in a healthy way) and get over that feeling quickly. People I have met who have felt the same way in the past have taken different paths to get out of the darkness. In my opinion, it does not matter which path a person takes to get out of that hopeless feeling as long as they do find the right path to go on. It can be a spiritual path, religious path , a path involving therapy , or a combination of all three or some other path that I didn't mention.

I grew up in an era when asking for help was considered a weakness. I saw my mom suffer the same type of darkness I did when I was growing up and she never sought help and sadly never got fully out of that darkness before she died. You are not alone but the first step is asking or seeking help. Trust me, I understand that it is easier said than done. Fear can be very crippling but you will be surprised how much better you will feel after taking that first step, which is reaching out for help.

I don't seek pity or any sympathy. I am a totally different person now . I wake up in the morning and am happy that I did wake up ! I only share this because it is important to me to let others who might be going through something similar that they are not alone feeling that way and to empathize that it is not a weakness to ask for help. Asking for help is one of the strongest character traits that a person can have.

The news, not to mention many of the patterns of modern life, are often not comforting. But I agree with Paco Dennis that "staying informed is crucial" for what I feel I should do.

Various religions have advice like "cast your bread upon the waters" (Christianity) or "just do your duty and forget about results" (Vedantic/Indian philosophy). My personal duty never seemed to be spelled out for me, but I involved myself in the community surrounding me and in environmental work. So I just wake up and do what's needed at home, and then contribute to local projects. These are now longstanding habits.

Plus, I like to come here to SF and have a few laughs and connect with a group of people spread through the English-speaking world.

Therefore, if you don't like what the media is selling, just don't buy it. Read books. Find a way to laugh daily. Help children in some way. Plant a garden.
Like yourself, I avoid most news. The benefits far out weigh the negatives. Much of the news is upsetting especially if there’s nothing you can do about it. I get the odd news surprise when I come onto this site but most news I’m not watching and I’m a calmer person for it.

Back