Read any newish novels you absolutely loved or at least recommend highly?

MarkD

Keeper of the Hounds & Garden
The Midnight Library by Matt Haig is the first newish fiction I’ve read in a couple years, and so much fun I could scarcely put it down. Not heart warming exactly nor super deepity but pretty thought provoking for something in the Sci fi/ fantasy genre while pulling you along the whole way.

Having recently emerged from reading a wickedly long but fascinating book on the mind and culture - The Matter With Things by McGilchrist - which took me more than a year this was pretty good.

Having been out of the loop please steer me to what you’ve been liking.

All That is Mine I Carry with Me by William Landay; kind of heartbreaking, reminded me of my childhood in a sad way, but so well written.

Thanks. Just checked and the local branch of my library lists its status as “Check shelf”. I don’t gravitate toward mysteries but a story well told in any genre can be worth it. Thank you.

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig is the first newish fiction I’ve read in a couple years, and so much fun I could scarcely put it down. Not heart warming exactly nor super deepity but pretty thought provoking for something in the Sci fi/ fantasy genre while pulling you along the whole way.

Having recently emerged from reading a wickedly long but fascinating book on the mind and culture - The Matter With Things by McGilchrist - which took me more than a year this was pretty good.

Having been out of the loop please steer me to what you’ve been liking.
I enjoyed The Midnight Library, thought it was good Sue

HI Mark, I've got a couple book that you might like I really liked:
1.The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelis,his debut novel
story of a woman painter who killed her husband,she's now in a psycho ward. She hasn't spoken a word since this happen. Her assigned therapist,Theo tries to get her to talk. I wasn't expecting a major twist
2. The Dictionary of Lost Words-Pip Williams ,historical fiction about the making of Oxford English Dictionary
3. The Lions of 5th Ave- Fiona Davis history of NYC public library, 2 familes 80 yrs apart who worked there
4. Nomadland Surviving in 21st Century by Jessica Bruder, the author spent 3 yrs on the road,interviewing people who wanted a different life,most because of money problems, became 'nomads',a terrific book
I hope this helps you Sue

story of a woman painter who killed her husband,she's now in a psycho ward. She hasn't spoken a word since this happen. Her assigned therapist,Theo tries to get her to talk. I wasn't expecting a major twist
2. The Dictionary of Lost Words-Pip Williams ,historical fiction about the making of Oxford English Dictionary
3. The Lions of 5th Ave- Fiona Davis history of NYC public library, 2 familes 80 yrs apart who worked there
4. Nomadland Surviving in 21st Century by Jessica Bruder, the author spent 3 yrs on the road,interviewing people who wanted a different life,most because of money problems, became 'nomads',a terrific book

Ooh I just found this and I am always eager for more good novels. Thank you!

To make someone sees something you’d like them you need to write @ followed w/out a space between the user name like this @moviequeen1 .

Thanks again!

Been a while since a book has moved and impacted me as much as this one…

IMG_1159.jpeg

I felt anger, incredulity and frustration at the wrongs done in the book and grateful I didn’t grow up in such an environment. I can’t change peoples minds who still harbor these warped ideas but I can make my own corner of the world the best, fairest and most accepting it can be

Boy don’t know how I missed this post of yours but am happy to have found it finally. Will see which I can get from my library to start.

I have 2 books I've recently read both were fascinating,couldn't put down either book
1. mystery writer, James Patterson;s memoir'Stories of My Life'
2. Geraldine Brooks book'Horse' true story of Civil War throughbred 'Lexington',the author goes from past to the present Sue

@MarkD - Here are two I recently enjoyed:
The Echo of Old Books by Barbara Davis
A Book In Time by Mark Stibbe

Thank you. I’m locked into some psychology/philosophy stuff now but I’m getting hungry for more good fiction.

The Barbara David book sounds promissing.

Last edited:

Back