Reflections of My Life

Where was/is the old homestead? I would like to get a feel for the environment. I know it is rural...how many acres did you own/rent?
It was in the middle of the state forest. We bought it from hunters as it had been a hunting camp since the 1930's. It was only an acre but surrounded by the state forest. The house was built in 1850 and was a standard wood frame farm house. The original people who built the house had owned 50 acres and was a working farm. But later owners donated almost all the land to the state.

Where was/is the old homestead? I would like to get a feel for the environment. I know it is rural...how many acres did you own/rent?
Thank you! You have inspired me today! I am going to update my blog starting on the first posts. Photos for the ones without any. Removing all affiliate links. Changing the font to the larger size. All kinds of things. Thank you again!!!!

Your blog is great. I love your descriptions of what is going on around the place. So you were an off grider. :) I never made that far, but lived on a farm very similar to yours. Dirt poor, and a lot of pets and livestock. We never had horses, darn, but we did have hogs and goats. You were very committed to it and contributed a lot to the homesteading lifestyle. We also heat with wood, but not the stove like you did. All the pictures are great too, and really add a lot to the atmosphere of your descriptions. Misa will enjoy going over your blog. She loves living in the forest on the farm. She got into spinning the wool from sheep wool for awhile. :)

Thank you! You have inspired me today! I am going to update my blog starting on the first posts. Photos for the ones without any. Removing all affiliate links. Changing the font to the larger size. All kinds of things. Thank you again!!!!
That's a great idea. In the time capsules we leave behind, mainly on some internet server somewhere, there is a great story of someone who took living simply seriously enough to sacrifice modern luxuries so that their lives would be less centered on material buying and selling. Back to the land movement, that you did very early in the early 21st century. There weren't a lot of us left after the big movement out of the 60's. I am so glad you are going to give it a look over. :)

A group of people in my apartment building have put up a little greenhouse out back. I heard they are going to be growing vegetables for everybody in the building. So that will be a fun project for them this year. It gets them outside. I might go out and watch but I don't feel like actually working out there in the sun. Hot weather bothers me a lot. I like to go out for a walk in the morning and sit in the sun till about noon. After that it is really too hot for me.

Yesterday in the late afternoon I didn't feel very good so I closed my computer down for the night. Watched some videos from the recliner and eventually fell asleep. Rabbit was like "Hey what's up? You are off my schedule!"

Today I am meeting with the manager with my son to finalize his paperwork and for her to actually meet him.

Jeff was here this morning and he signed his lease papers. Now the manager has to submit them and they will tell her if he needs anything else. She says not to worry he has it. Then she took us upstairs and let us in the apartment. It is beautiful! Hard to believe it is in a subsidized building but all the apartments here are really nice. I think this will help Jeff feel better about himself. If you live in a dumpy apartment then you don't have much self confidence. I swear he must have 5 closets! And a linen closet, plus 2 pantries, a water filter on the faucet, the bathtub has the cut out and he asked me what was that for?

Can you tell.........I am having a great day!

My day started off really good.......and still is so far. I have been trying for weeks to get Simple-Scan to work with the new printer. Today I hit the jackpot! The first search I did took me to a site that told me how to do it (I have been to a thousand of those in the past and none worked the way they said). I had to be brave and put a command in Terminal......lo and behold! It worked! The first time! I did not kill my operating system or computer. I have been scanning photos all morning.

Looks like it will be a partly sunny day and up to 46. Though can change in a flash, after all this is NY state and our weather is sketchy at times. Regardless I like the feel of spring in the air. A few mornings here I have heard birds singing! That excites me and makes my day start off on a happy note. One of my favorite sounds which I don't hear much living downtown.

I would like to take a walk today to the park. Maybe sit out there a bit. I get into a project like vamping up my blog and scanning photos into my computer and I could stay there all day without a break. But I KNOW I shouldn't do that. It is not like I have time schedule.

My day started off really good.......and still is so far. I have been trying for weeks to get Simple-Scan to work with the new printer. Today I hit the jackpot! The first search I did took me to a site that told me how to do it (I have been to a thousand of those in the past and none worked the way they said). I had to be brave and put a command in Terminal......lo and behold! It worked! The first time! I did not kill my operating system or computer. I have been scanning photos all morning.
I think it's a brilliant idea! I need to learn how to do this!

What exactly do you need to learn how to do? I am basically on my own because nobody I know can do much on a computer. They always ask me. I am not a technical person so I learn very slowly.
I think my issue is connecting the printer to the computer and knowing how to scan everything so it shows up in the computer. I can search YouTube videos (they have helped in the past) but thought I'd ask you first. Was there a program you used? Thanks.

Edited: When my son used to live with me, he would help out, so I didn't pay that much attention as I should have.

I think my issue is connecting the printer to the computer and knowing how to scan everything so it shows up in the computer. I can search YouTube videos (they have helped in the past) but thought I'd ask you first. Was there a program you used? Thanks.

Edited: When my son used to live with me, he would help out, so I didn't pay that much attention as I should have.
Do you use Windows for your operating system? What brand and model is your printer? I use a program called Document Scanner. I didn't have to download I just installed it. I used to use a program called Simple Scan but this program was already in my operating system (Ubuntu). I actually found the directions to do this on a website not on YouTube.

Last edited:
Do you use Windows for your operating system? What brand and model is your printer? I use a program called Document Scanner. I didn't have to download it just installed it. I used to use a program called Simple Scan but this program was already in my operating system (Ubuntu). I actually found the directions to do this on a website not on YouTube.
I don't use Windows. I have a MAC, but I will look up the Simple Scan and see if it's compatible with MAC. Thanks!

This will be a hectic week with getting my son moved into his new apartment. I wasn't sure he would like the big windows because it makes the apartment very bright and sunny. But he was taken by them. From his windows you can see everything and he loved it. He has been a night owl most of his life. Always wanted things dark and that is where we differ. I love sunshine and everything bright. I am hoping this will effect him and brighten him up a bit.

I am not counting on Sonny to fix my mobility chair. He has been so sick from one thing and then another. He is waiting to recover from those infections to get his shoulder replacement done. Then racing season is starting soon. He assists with getting the track set for it. So I hate to bother him.

I am watching YT videos on how to use a volt meter and which one I should buy. I have never been technical as I said before. But I NEED Jazzy! I am going crazy not being able to just ride it to the store. My knees have been pretty painful if I walk too far. I can sit down on the walker and recover but then it takes so long to get somewhere.

This will be a hectic week with getting my son moved into his new apartment. I wasn't sure he would like the big windows because it makes the apartment very bright and sunny. But he was taken by them. From his windows you can see everything and he loved it. He has been a night owl most of his life. Always wanted things dark and that is where we differ. I love sunshine and everything bright. I am hoping this will effect him and brighten him up a bit.

I am not counting on Sonny to fix my mobility chair. He has been so sick from one thing and then another. He is waiting to recover from those infections to get his shoulder replacement done. Then racing season is starting soon. He assists with getting the track set for it. So I hate to bother him.

I am watching YT videos on how to use a volt meter and which one I should buy. I have never been technical as I said before. But I NEED Jazzy! I am going crazy not being able to just ride it to the store. My knees have been pretty painful if I walk too far. I can sit down on the walker and recover but then it takes so long to get somewhere.
:) Could you call Jazzy's manufacturer and ask their advice? Or ask the volt-meter manufacturer what they think??

As it turned out, Sonny is coming here Wednesday to help my son move. He mentioned he would be bringing his volt meter. Now I am just praying it is loose wire or something easy like that. I miss being able to drive it so much. Not only was it helpful for going to the store.....it is fun!

I have been so busy lately that I don't know if I did everything I usually do. Keeping a list helps. I have been going through my pictures and will be sending them to whoever I want them to go to.

Yesterday I had to go through my parents' letters and other things they kept in their locked box. I threw away all the letters they wrote to each other. And their cards. My mother always shopped to get just the right card to whoever she was sending it to. It would take her forever to decide on it. They always bought those big romantic ones for each other. Saved them too and they were married 60 years! I felt that I had to throw them out now because these things were personal between each other. Not for anyone else to see.

I found my first wedding invitation that I sent to them. Surprised they saved it. Also some letters and pictures my son had drawn for them over the years. Sweet, loving messages about how much he loved them. My father's high school diploma and their wedding license. The receipt from their first house that they bought for $1500 in 1945 for cash when my father got discharged from the Army. Also the hospital bill receipt from when I had my son in 1970. A four day stay for $200.

Now I am trying to find a way to take the lock off that box and get a new one put on. Probably need a machine shop to do that. It is a good heavy one and my father broke it open because he lost the key. Otherwise I am planning on buying one myself and making sure it is fireproof.

Back