Remember "Ronco" and "Popiel"

I saw an ad for a "device" that you somehow plug into your home's electric system, and before you can say "Ronco" or "Popeil", no more electric bill. That reminded of those ads for devices added to cars to run on water instead of costly gas - "the invention General Motors didn't want you to know about". :D
And all those Ronco and Popiel kitchen products, that "rices, dices, cuts, and juliennes". I still don't know what juliennes are.

Guilty!!! I worked a lot of swing & grave early in my career, so had many hours of solo TV watching. HSN, critiquing TV evangelists, CMT & 'As seen on TV' ads. Did buy the hotdogger & single burger cooker. That was what I remember I'm sure there were others. None come to mind. I used the hotdogger 5-6 dogs on spikes that sent charges from end to end electrocuting them, wife and kids never eat them the ends came out black 'n greasy.

The UPS driver & JW missionaries were my only contact with the outside world. Had to give up on CMT, was getting too depressed listening to C&W all day.

Last edited:
I bought my late husband the Pocket Fisherman as a joke. It broke the first time he tried to use it.

At my daughter's urging, I bought the "square egg maker" that made your boiled eggs into cubes....for some reason.... I guess it was a Ronco or Popiel items; I can't think of who else would be selling it.

Saturday Night Live had a skit making fun of them.....I think it featured a Ronco Moth Masher, so moths would fit better in your wallet.

Ron Popiel was the man behind Ronco products. link. Ron Popeil - Wikipedia

A US success story, for sure. By the way, a vegetable that has been sliced thinly, is known as a Julienne cut . One example would be thin sliced carrots, in a salad. Jimb.
Julienne carrots are like matchsticks

iu

iu

Back