Saddened by a great loss this year, new family member helping us heal.

@SeaBreeze
I am very sorry for your loss of such a dear family member.
It was nice to read about him, and glad you could share that with us. ❤️💗
I understand how much you do and will continue to miss Bigfoot.💞

Your pup looks wonderful. 😍
I am glad for both him and you.

Last edited:
Even though you lost your precious Bigfoot in October, I know the pain is still as fresh as it was then. We lost our precious cat, Toby, over a year ago. The vet asked if we wanted a plaster cast of his paw and we agreed. It is in our family room and I still touch it every now and then to feel close to him. They leave an indelible imprint on our lives.

I'm so glad you have that handsome boy, Bear, to bring joy into your life. And may Loki live forever.;)

Thank you very much. 🧡 I walked him almost every day in the nearby State Park, neighborhood park on weekends, he loved it! We hiked together in more remote areas on camping trips a couple of times a year, when my husband was able, he'd go with us, those were the good days.

This past year we skipped both of our camping trips because our baby was too sickly and we never put our pets in a boarding kennel. Looking forward to going again with Bear, we'll have to watch him closely as he's full of energy, loves to run, explore and dig, not sure how he'll swim. We're usually by a mountain river stream, so the water is cold and fast running, especially in the spring. will keep him on a long leash and keep a close eye.

Nice to be called a good doggie mom, I love my kitty too, animals are very special and it's a gift to share your home with them. This is when I went to take a picture in the truck of both of them together, as soon as Loki saw me turn around with the camera, he got up and walked to get his close up, lol. Loki was noticeably sad when his buddy was gone, he went through that with Hans before him.

dscn1538-jpg.53075

full

View attachment 322685
I’m sorry Seabreeze. Last night I had a long post written out for you but I deleted it all. I will have to try again at a later time. This topic is just too difficult
Thank you very much. 🧡 I walked him almost every day in the nearby State Park, neighborhood park on weekends, he loved it! We hiked together in more remote areas on camping trips a couple of times a year, when my husband was able, he'd go with us, those were the good days.

This past year we skipped both of our camping trips because our baby was too sickly and we never put our pets in a boarding kennel. Looking forward to going again with Bear, we'll have to watch him closely as he's full of energy, loves to run, explore and dig, not sure how he'll swim. We're usually by a mountain river stream, so the water is cold and fast running, especially in the spring. will keep him on a long leash and keep a close eye.

Nice to be called a good doggie mom, I love my kitty too, animals are very special and it's a gift to share your home with them. This is when I went to take a picture in the truck of both of them together, as soon as Loki saw me turn around with the camera, he got up and walked to get his close up, lol. Loki was noticeably sad when his buddy was gone, he went through that with Hans before him.

dscn1538-jpg.53075

full

View attachment 322685
Hey Seabreeze.
When I first joined the forum I shared about my pets and you showed a photo of you and bigfoot. At the time had a 5 year schnauzer cross and 11 year old Yorkie. We lost the Yorkie last year. She was 15. Is anyone ever ready for that? No! It was a very horrible experience. It’s not something I even want to share. It was a very traumatic experience.

I can relate to having to carry them. Our shepherds were hard to carry when necessary. Our pets are a big part of our lives. We grieve terribly when they go.

Like yourself, we never lodged our pets anywhere. When they got older we used a doggy stroller for them. Before these dogs we had shepherds. Carrying them was a big deal which was why we downsized. Our first downsized dog was a schnauzer cross who was epileptic, diabetic and went blind but she was a real trouper. Our Yorkie used to lay on top on her when she went into seizures. We had to give her shots twice a day.

Another thing that made me never forget you is because your Loki looked a bit like our Smokey cat. We lost her about 3 months ago. She was 18 years old. She was sick and left one stormy night. Apparently a lot of cats leave when it’s stormy. She stayed out the entire night and mid morning came back, made a huge fuss of us ;being extra affectionate to us both and the next morning cried to go outside. She left and never came back. I think the night before she dug out her burial spot under our shed. A classy no nonsense cat. She didn’t want us to have to deal with her dead body.

Walking dogs was/is a big part of both of our lives. When I meet others who feel the same way, I feel a certain type of kinship.

Like yourself, I couldn’t write about losing our last dog. The story leading to her loss was so very frightful and depressing. Fifteen years of sharing my life with this particular bundle of joy was delightful. Eighteen years sharing my life with this cat was incredible. They both brought a certain loving stability and comforting energy to my life. I say ‘my’ life, because my husband worked 12 hour shifts most of the time 5 to 6 days a week at times. I was the one who mainly cared for them.

They are well loved family members.

This is my third time trying to write this post. I’m so sorry for your loss Seabreeze. Your picture of Loki and Bigfoot together is priceless.

IMG_2817.jpeg

Luckily we have thousands of photos of them. Someday I’ll do something with them.
I thought they looked similar.

IMG_4857.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m sorry Seabreeze. Last night I had a long post written out for you but I deleted it all. I will have to try again at a later time. This topic is just too difficult

Hey Seabreeze.
When I first joined the forum I shared about my pets and you showed a photo of you and bigfoot. At the time had a 5 year schnauzer cross and 11 year old Yorkie. We lost the Yorkie last year. She was 15. Is anyone ever ready for that? No! It was a very horrible experience. It’s not something I even want to share. It was a very traumatic experience.

I can relate to having to carry them. Our shepherds were hard to carry when necessary. Our pets are a big part of our lives. We grieve terribly when they go.

Like yourself, we never lodged our pets anywhere. When they got older we used a doggy stroller for them. Before these dogs we had shepherds. Carrying them was a big deal which was why we downsized. Our first downsized dog was a schnauzer cross who was epileptic, diabetic and went blind but she was a real trouper. Our Yorkie used to lay on top on her when she went into seizures. We had to give her shots twice a day.

Another thing that made me never forget you is because your Loki looked a bit like our Smokey cat. We lost her about 3 months ago. She was 18 years old. She was sick and left one stormy night. Apparently a lot of cats leave when it’s stormy. She stayed out the entire night and mid morning came back, made a huge fuss of us ;being extra affectionate to us both and the next morning cried to go outside. She left and never came back. I think the night before she dug out her burial spot under our shed. A classy no nonsense cat. She didn’t want us to have to deal with her dead body.

Walking dogs was/is a big part of both of our lives. When I meet others who feel the same way, I feel a certain type of kinship.

Like yourself, I couldn’t write about losing our last dog. The story leading to her loss was so very frightful and depressing. Fifteen years of sharing my life with this particular bundle of joy was delightful. Eighteen years sharing my life with this cat was incredible. They both brought a certain loving stability and comforting energy to my life. I say ‘my’ life, because my husband worked 12 hour shifts most of the time 5 to 6 days a week at times. I was the one who mainly cared for them.

They are well loved family members.

This is my third time trying to write this post. I’m so sorry for your loss Seabreeze. Your picture of Loki and Bigfoot together is priceless.

View attachment 322804

Luckily we have thousands of photos of them. Someday I’ll do something with them.
I thought they looked similar.

View attachment 322805
Thank you so much for writing such a heartfelt message...hugs. Sorry you had to write it all over again, but you're right, this subject is very difficult and we can't always share it when our heart is raw with the immediate loss of our babies.

Your Smokey was a precious little girl, may she rest peacefully knowing how much you loved her. She did look very much like Loki. Very sorry to hear you lost your Yorkie also, that was not that long ago. May she rest in peace. 💜

Yes, walking our dogs is a wonderful bonding experience that we both can enjoy, and it is nice to meet others who feel the same. Very pleasant way to spend time every day, appreciating life and nature is the best.

I was the main one who walked and cared for our dogs, but my husband came with me often before he had mobility issues, and he loved them as much as I do/did. They are family, our babies as we have no children. I know you still see or hear your Smokey sometimes, they truly become part of us. Sending you love and warmth, enjoy the new year my friend.

Losing a much loved pet is so traumatic and sad. Bear will be such a great comfort to you. I hope your pain is eased by this new fluffy ball of love.💘

@SeaBreeze
I am very sorry for your loss of such a dear family member.
It was nice to read about him, and glad you could share that with us. ❤️💗
I understand how much you do and will continue to miss Bigfoot.💞

Your pup looks wonderful. 😍
I am glad for both him and you.
Thank you Kaila, your sentiments are greatly appreciated. Glad you like little Bear, he keeps me busy, no time to feel sorry for myself. Have a safe and joyful new year. 🧡

Losing a much loved pet is so traumatic and sad. Bear will be such a great comfort to you. I hope your pain is eased by this new fluffy ball of love.💘
Thank you very much birdy for your kind words. Bear is helping our hearts to heal, he is full of love and affection. Have a happy and peaceful new year. 💙

So sorry Seabreeze ... I remember when you got Bigfoot.
Time passes too quickly with our fur babies.

My LilBear (Bichon) is almost 15 yrs. old now and showing his years.

I like the name of your new puppy! Best wishes with Bear.

Even though you lost your precious Bigfoot in October, I know the pain is still as fresh as it was then. We lost our precious cat, Toby, over a year ago. The vet asked if we wanted a plaster cast of his paw and we agreed. It is in our family room and I still touch it every now and then to feel close to him. They leave an indelible imprint on our lives.

I'm so glad you have that handsome boy, Bear, to bring joy into your life. And may Loki live forever.;)
Thanks Doug. 💙 We have a paw print also of our Bigfoot, and our two dogs who passed before him, Hans and Sigilwig (Sigi)...they are on our wall unit in the living room. May Toby rest peacefully. Bear is bringing us lots of smiles and joy, and I also hope Loki lives forever. He has to put the pup in his place sometimes with a growl and a soft paw swipe, works just fine to back him off when he gets too excited and up in his grill. :)

Last edited:
So sorry Seabreeze ... I remember when you got Bigfoot.
Time passes too quickly with our fur babies.

My LilBear (Bichon) is almost 15 yrs. old now and showing his years.

I like the name of your new puppy! Best wishes with Bear.
Thank you Bonee, much appreciated. Hugs for you and LilBear, he is a senior just like us, hope he's not having too many age related ailments. 🧡 Enjoy a wonderful new year. ☮️

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your previous dog, but I'm glad you've found a new furry friend in Bear. Smooth fox terriers are known for their energetic and playful personalities, and I'm sure Bear will bring a lot of joy and companionship to your life. Wishing you all the best as you get to know Bear and build a strong bond with him. I'm sure this community will be here to support you every step of the way."

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your previous dog, but I'm glad you've found a new furry friend in Bear. Smooth fox terriers are known for their energetic and playful personalities, and I'm sure Bear will bring a lot of joy and companionship to your life. Wishing you all the best as you get to know Bear and build a strong bond with him. I'm sure this community will be here to support you every step of the way."
Thank you for your kind words and wishes. He is super energetic and playful, tries to outsmart me and likes to stick his little pointy snout into my pockets to steal my tissues and doggie bags, keeps me on my toes, lol. Have a Happy New Year, this community is very supportive....the best!

@SeaBreeze How are you doing now with the loss of your precious 💕 doggie and the new puppy 🌹?
Thanks for asking Ruthanne, you're very kind. 🧡 The pup is coming along just fine, getting big, he was six pounds when we got him and he's now seventeen. He should be around twenty when full grown. Tomorrow he's five months old.

We've had him confined with a divider to the kitchen for his housetraining, and we'd take him onto our bed to hang out with us or take naps. For the past couple of weeks there has been no accidents, he shows us when he wants to go out to potty and he will reliably use the peewee pads we keep for him in the kitchen near the back door if ever needed. Lately he's been lounging on them, since they are fresh and haven't been used.

Tomorrow we will spend some time with him in the living room, move the divider (coffee table on it's side) over to the hallway, and he can go from kitchen to living room. We'll see how that goes, and the cat will have him nearby to become more used to him. I think they'll be fine. I sill have a crate next to my pillow end of the bed where he sleeps at night. I take him out around 2am, and then he's good until around 6, when he gets us all up for the day.

I've been taking him for walks in the neighborhood where I always walked Bigfoot. It's bittersweet, and I often get teary thinking about him on most days, I still love and miss him very much. My love for Bear grows each day, he's becoming more well behaved and affectionate, both my husband and I enjoy having him share our days with us.

On March 26th, I have an appointment to have him neutered and microchipped. He'll be just short of seven months old then. Hoping all goes smoothly.

Sending hugs and love to you and Suzy, I hope she is doing okay with her health. We worry about our babies so much, they depend on us and bring us so much joy. Enjoy your evening Ruthanne. ☮️

Thanks for asking Ruthanne, you're very kind. 🧡 The pup is coming along just fine, getting big, he was six pounds when we got him and he's now seventeen. He should be around twenty when full grown. Tomorrow he's five months old.

We've had him confined with a divider to the kitchen for his housetraining, and we'd take him onto our bed to hang out with us or take naps. For the past couple of weeks there has been no accidents, he shows us when he wants to go out to potty and he will reliably use the peewee pads we keep for him in the kitchen near the back door if ever needed. Lately he's been lounging on them, since they are fresh and haven't been used.

Tomorrow we will spend some time with him in the living room, move the divider (coffee table on it's side) over to the hallway, and he can go from kitchen to living room. We'll see how that goes, and the cat will have him nearby to become more used to him. I think they'll be fine. I sill have a crate next to my pillow end of the bed where he sleeps at night. I take him out around 2am, and then he's good until around 6, when he gets us all up for the day.

I've been taking him for walks in the neighborhood where I always walked Bigfoot. It's bittersweet, and I often get teary thinking about him on most days, I still love and miss him very much. My love for Bear grows each day, he's becoming more well behaved and affectionate, both my husband and I enjoy having him share our days with us.

On March 26th, I have an appointment to have him neutered and microchipped. He'll be just short of seven months old then. Hoping all goes smoothly.

Sending hugs and love to you and Suzy, I hope she is doing okay with her health. We worry about our babies so much, they depend on us and bring us so much joy. Enjoy your evening Ruthanne. ☮️
I'm happy for you that Bear is doing so well and turning into a grown up doggie. I've never raised a puppy but I have raised kittens.

I know what you mean about missing big foot. I miss Jasmine and all the birds I've had and cats and etc. We know we did our best to raise them and then all of a sudden their time was up. That's life as it happens but missing our loved ones is hard. We have only memories now and to me that sounds unfair yet that is how nature operates.❤️🐕

I wish you lots of fun and happiness with Best and may he live a long life. Is he a specific breed?

My sweet boy Bigfoot was euthanized at eight years old this past October, at home. He was very sick over a year, was on high dose Prednisone and other medications. Without them he wouldn't eat and quickly became like a skeleton.

Toward the end, he could no longer stand from a lying position or walk around, I was carrying him in and out to help him go potty in the yard. He had developed an auto-immune disease, had kidney damage, ultrasound showed likely lymphoma, and he tore his ACL in the yard.

When he started to no longer be able to go on even short walks, I kept him home. Threw the ball a short distance for him one day because he finally looked interested, but he took a sharp turn and hurt his knee. Vet said his health was too poor to operate. He was truly miserable, our hearts were broken watching him go downhill. He was so loving and affectionate to all people and other pets, including our cat. The medications no longer were working. :(

My husband saw this pup online and he was available, a Smooth Fox Terrier we named Bear. Don't have many pics of him yet, but this is before we got him, he's twice the size now, and doing well. Took awhile for me to want to post about my Bigfoot, still get teary thinking of him.

View attachment 322640

Only just saw this SeaBreeze. Very sorry for your loss but all those teary moments are affirmations of your relationship. I'm sure he is worth every one of them. Glad you got a new pup. You obviously have the capacity for great relationships with pets and you and the new pup deserve a chance.

Only just saw this SeaBreeze. Very sorry for your loss but all those teary moments are affirmations of your relationship. I'm sure he is worth every one of them. Glad you got a new pup. You obviously have the capacity for great relationships with pets and you and the new pup deserve a chance.
Thank you for your kind thoughts and words Mark, much appreciated. 💙 Little Bear is coming alone nicely, we're letting him have the living room and the kitchen now to hang out in and play.....he loves it. He's not destructive and is doing well, pretty much housebroken, but he won't have the full run of the house just yet.

He's a good egg, sweet boy with lots of energy and very affectionate. He's good with the cat and respects the cat's seniority, lol. We love him more each day, nice to have the busy puppy training calming down.

I still miss my Bigfoot every day, but he'd be happy to see a sweet pup living in his home and being part of his family.

Thank you for your kind thoughts and words Mark, much appreciated. 💙 Little Bear is coming alone nicely, we're letting him have the living room and the kitchen now to hang out in and play.....he loves it. He's not destructive and is doing well, pretty much housebroken, but he won't have the full run of the house just yet.

He's a good egg, sweet boy with lots of energy and very affectionate. He's good with the cat and respects the cat's seniority, lol. We love him more each day, nice to have the busy puppy training calming down.

I still miss my Bigfoot every day, but he'd be happy to see a sweet pup living in his home and being part of his family.

Look forward to the odd video or cute pic. Puppy years go by way too fast.

Back