Saratoga Springs wants to regulate short-term home rentals

Between the racing season and the Leaf Peepers in autumn, I'm sure it's hard to find a place to stay. I love the area... but I know it's gotten *so* expensive!

I feel for the man & anyone else in the area who lives next to the rental next to him in the video. Or any other place else this is happening.

There are two things that stand out in this situation to me. One, the house was bought with the intention of being a permanent "hotel" rental in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Two, the owners aren't residents of Saratoga, but live out of state in Florida. The owners don't have personal connection to that area such as living or working there permantly. It's all about making money for them without any consideration for the people who live their lives there with their family 24/7/365 like you or I would be.

This problem will exist wherever you have houses that are rented like this. I hope the regulations make it very hard for people to operate these places.

Here is a sad link of what happened to a family: Family sues Airbnb after 19-month-old dies of fentanyl toxicity during Florida vacation

This is lenghthy article from 2021, but a real eye opener: Airbnb Is Spending Millions of Dollars to Make Nightmares Go Away

I've watched the commercials & these places haven't interested me. I'm not fond of staying in hotels anyway, so when we do I am willing to pay more money for a higher end place to stay & in a better area. When I had to go to schools out of town, I'd call them find out what area are a go or no-go.

This is becoming an issue around me. Some of the complaints about short term rentals seem kind of silly, like more traffic, and yet, I suppose long tern rentals don't drive, or the three story motel doesn't create more traffic? I'm really not up on this topic, but this is becoming a big issue in these parts.
The three story hotels, or ones of any size, aren't put in the middle of neighborhoods, but are located in the business sections of communities near major roadways or the interstate. They also have parking lots that are large enough for the everyone who stays at the facility.

The problem is using homes as hotels in residential neighborhoods.

EDIT TO ADDED: The traffic issues from these short term rentals are that they are being used as party houses with masses of people showing up in the neighborhood creating the nuisance of cars/foot traffic.

Last edited:

Back