School Days back then

Here is my 8th grade class picture from Brentano Public School, Chicago, Jan., 1958. I'm on the end of the second row up. Brentano was the almost identical school as shown in the picture "Christmas Story". The outside, interior, classrooms, kids and teachers were so similar. Looking back, it was a typical Chicago grade school, but now I realize it was pretty special.

Attachments

• 1958.JPG
    1958.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 8
Here is my 8th grade class picture from Brentano Public School, Chicago, Jan., 1958. I'm on the end of the second row up. Brentano was the almost identical school as shown in the picture "Christmas Story". The outside, interior, classrooms, kids and teachers were so similar. Looking back, it was a typical Chicago grade school, but now I realize it was pretty special.
It's so nice how the students were all dressed in white shirts/blouses. You were a cute kid!
Aaaah, if only we could go back to re-live just one day of our youth ..

That’s Mrs. Van Arsdale in that photo too, right? She is attractive.
Yes. Her husband came in two or three times that year to "teach" us kids how to play basketball. That was the start of my lifetime frustration as a Phoenix Suns fan. What's funny is that the next year I had a teacher who I didn't like and his son (Gary Gentry) pitched for the NY Mets in the World Series so I rooted for the Orioles and became a long time Orioles fan because of that. I guess teachers do have a long lasting impact...lol

Last edited:

Back