Show us your spring photos... 2024

Bluebells are out now...

woods-bluebell-lush.jpg

wood-bluebells-beautiful.jpg

I wonder how many people regret planting Spanish Bluebells in their garden. When they first start to bloom for me around February they are very welcome but they are quite adept at spreading themselves around to every bed and pot somehow. I spent yesterday evening cutting back and removing that latest growth. I'm under no delusion that my doing so will diminish or slow them down but they're looking ratty now.

Meanwhile now in true spring there is much more competition for my eye in the garden so they won't be missed.

53676528324_6339016ccb_b.jpg

53676392798_f90a728865_b.jpg

53676173766_903c6dace1_b.jpg

53675297157_39111fa487_b.jpg

53676173761_36015a053f_b.jpg

Last Sunday we had tea in the garden for Lia's women artists friends. This Sunday we'll have horticultural societies from around San Francisco and San Jose coming through for coffee and plant/garden chat. Our friend in the yellow boa turned 90 the day of our tea party, seen here with Lia, our friend Fredi and others.

53670243768_8d600a2b8f_b.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder how many people regret planting Spanish Bluebells in their garden. When they first start to bloom for me around February they are very welcome but they are quite adept at spreading themselves around to every bed and pot somehow. I spent yesterday evening cutting back and removing that latest growth. I'm under no delusion that my doing so will diminish or slow them down but they're looking ratty now.

Meanwhile now in true spring there is much more competition for my eye in the garden so they won't be missed.

53676528324_6339016ccb_b.jpg

53676392798_f90a728865_b.jpg

53676173766_903c6dace1_b.jpg

53675297157_39111fa487_b.jpg

53676173761_36015a053f_b.jpg

Last Sunday we had tea in the garden for Lia's women artists friends. This Sunday we'll have horticultural societies from around San Francisco and San Jose coming through for coffee and plant/garden chat. Our friend in the yellow boa turned 90 the day of our tea party, seen here with Lia, our friend Fredi and others.

53670243768_8d600a2b8f_b.jpg
It's so beautiful! You must have help with it. It seems too big for one person.

It's so beautiful! You must have help with it. It seems too big for one person.

I wish. A garden design friend loaned me his crew (for only what he pays then hourly plus lunch one weekend in March in advance of a big event last year, but I can't depend on him all the time. This year I have had an arborist in for wind damaged trees. And the fellow who put in our paver driveway to lift and reset the pavers after removing the roots of the huge fig tree we had removed and stump grounded. But for weeding, dead heading, pruning and general sweeping and cleaning up - that's my job. So long as I can do it, it feels pretty good to be able to do it.

Just back from our little trip in the campervan. Had mixed weather as you can see from the photos...

ban.jpg
Our camper - probably the smallest van on site. It would fit twice into some of the vans there.
ban2.jpg

The site at Banchory was quiet when we arrived but quickly filled up by Friday.

ban3.jpg
The site is beside the river Dee, and this house is neatly hidden by the surrounding trees.

Before Britain lost most of its railways, there was a railway line from Aberdeen to the village of Ballater. In times past, this played host to the 'royal' train which carried Queen Victoria and Prince Albert towards their country seat at Balmoral. The story is that the queen didn't want the train to come on to her estate, so that's while it stopped at Ballater and the journey was completed by coach. It might be spring, but as you can see, it was a pretty wet day.

ban4.jpg

Ballater station. The original was destroyed by fire and this is an exact replica. This has been the meeting place for many Royal visitors and foreign heads of state.

ban5.jpg
The royal railway carriage as used by Victoria and subsequent monarchs. On display at the station,

Last edited:
Further back along the old railway line, I was intrigues by what appeared to be a field of oil seed rape. However, it turned out to be acres of dandylions.
ban6.jpg

And finally, here is the station at Milton of Crathes. On spring and summer weedends, a steam train makes a short trip from here on a restored section of the old Royal Deeside railway line.

ban7.jpg

Back